[net.misc] Orphaned Response

mclure@sri-unix (08/15/82)

#R:alice:-80600:sri-unix:1300002:000:204
sri-unix!mclure    Aug 15 00:51:00 1982

There is a scene in Kubrick's 2001 in which the camera lingers on a
large computer panel in one of the earth-to-moon spaceships.
Emblazoned on the panel is the IBM logo.  That's a pretty big
coincidence.

nrh (01/18/83)

#R:atd:-14900:inmet:6400001:000:216
inmet!nrh    Jan 16 16:33:00 1983

Dave,

	I think you're being frivolous.  How about:  "Does North Dakota
have a soul?  If so, do non-resident voters share that soul holographically?"

	I sure hope nobody proposes a "net.meaningless" newsgroup.....

johnl (02/14/83)

#R:yale-com:-86700:ima:17500001:000:596
ima!johnl    Feb 14 00:12:00 1983

Indeed, every president elected in a year ending in 0 has died in
office since 1840:

	1840  W. H. Harrison
	1860* Lincoln
	1880* Garfield
	1900* McKinley
	1920  Harding
	1940  F. D. Roosevelt
	1960* Kennedy

Note that the starred presidents were assasinated, the others died of
natural causes.  Near misses don't count, T. Roosevelt, Truman,
Eisenhower, and Ford all survived serious attempts.

John Levine, decvax!yale-co!jrl, ucbvax!cbosgd!ima!johnl, research!ima!johnl

PS: If they taught history decently in elementary schools, all of you
(except perhaps the Canadians) would know all this.

turner (03/01/83)

#R:zinfandel:8200023:ucbesvax:1100009:37777777600:787
ucbesvax!turner    Feb 26 01:29:00 1983

	Point by point:

    1.  I agree.  Viking was a blatant and arrogant attempt at bacteriacide.
	We all deserve to turn green and croak off when the first craft
	to make the return voyage from Mars lands and releases their
	microbial revenge squads.  It's just another compelling example
	of U.S. Intervention In Places It Shouldn't Go.

    2.  Hey, I'll vote for Ken Cory again!  Sorry, but anyone who signs a
	check for ME has my vote.  And I hope the Martian bacteria are busy
	genetically engineering themselves to particularly afflict the
	owners of rental property.  Big hairy warts, herpes triplex VIII,
	nothing's too grody for them.

	See you in net.space, net.politics, and not least, net.jokes.  (And
    net.flat.earth, if I can ever get it rolling...)

	Michael Turner

turner (03/01/83)

#R:allegra:-96300:ucbesvax:1100008:37777777600:740
ucbesvax!turner    Feb 26 01:06:00 1983

	I'm working on that.  Thanks for pointing it out.  I've been
    having problems with getting other mail, but this is the first
    indication that anyone has been trying to reach me personally in
    reponse to a note (or notes).  I've also had problems mailing TO
    people from notes, which may or may not be a related problem.  Being
    about the only notes user on this boonies machine doesn't make it any
    easier, let me tell you.

	Keep the flame, I'll get back to you.  (Unless it's really
    important, like praise for my gracious, eloquent, and dispassionate
    mini-essays, which you are all so grateful to receive.  In that
    case, my phone number is [415]-845-6652.)

	No death threats, please.

	    Michael Turner

russ (03/31/83)

#R:turtleva:-15500:hp-cvd:7600008:37777777600:142
hp-cvd!russ    Mar 24 07:12:00 1983

I usually use "stupid" or "dumb" or "dumbness" or "dumbfile".
When I'm in a hurry, I use "a", "b", "c", etc.
Russ Nelson...hp-pcd!hp-cvd!russ

nrh (04/12/83)

#R:mhuxt:-6600:inmet:6400008:177600:377
inmet!nrh    Apr 10 19:36:00 1983

Arrrgh!  The DDT ban was public information.  What right do we have
to forbid the sale of DDT in other countries?  Suppose the disagree that
the problem is bad enough to warrant a ban?  NOBODY was forced to buy
DDT -- No other country was forced not to enact a similar ban.

World Peace will NOT come from the US deciding what is good for everybody
else (unless they agree).

ucbesvax.turner@ucbcad.UUCP (06/21/83)

#R:brunix:-310100:ucbesvax:6000001:37777777600:311
ucbesvax!turner    May 31 15:08:00 1983

	Maybe I'm just a bit on the totally susceptible side--but
I often GET hiccups from eating a teaspoon of creamy peanut butter.

	The usual "9 swallows of water" cures mine.  The water does
most of it, and the "9" adds a little psychosomatic kick that seems
to make some difference.

	    Boo!
		Michael Turner

Anonymous@hp-dcd.UUCP (06/29/83)

#R:ihuxf:0:hp-dcd:17300001:37777777600:1
hp-dcd!Anonymous    Jun 26 20:45:00 1983

bhayes@sri-unix.UUCP (07/08/83)

#R:ogcvax:-29100:sri-unix:1300020:000:291
sri-unix!bhayes    Apr 24 15:09:00 1983

I recall a Candid Camera episode where they did a supermarket
taste-test for a new cereal, being, I think, oatmeal with lots
of salt.  They got many people to say that they really liked the
product, and the man with the microphone could get people to eat
this goo with no troubles.
 -barry

bloom@inmet.UUCP (07/12/83)

#R:uvacs:-78800:inmet:6400019:177600:255
inmet!bloom    Jul 11 20:51:00 1983

Yes, and I believe eating gobs of rice (hot or cold, white or fried) will
do it too ... well ... it does it to me.

But Nitrogen/Oxy mixtures??  I can just picture the next Jacques Cousteau
docu-hic-mentary.

					Ray Bloom
					{harpo, ima}!inmet!bloom

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (07/19/83)

#R:teklabs:-213800:zinfandel:8200051:000:274
zinfandel!berry    Jul 18 09:04:00 1983

I read in a pop grammar book that some famous copy-editor (famous
if you are a newspaper reporter) said that he could improve ANY
english sentence with judicious editting -- EXCEPT

	"Jesus wept."

Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

billw@sri-unix.UUCP (07/20/83)

#R:ogcvax:-29100:sri-unix:1300021:000:119
sri-unix!billw    Apr 25 08:51:00 1983

David Horowitz has shown a demo of the same phenomena on the
tonight show (and others) using carbonated lemon juice...

bloom@inmet.UUCP (09/15/83)

#R:houxz:-43700:inmet:6400058:177600:157
inmet!bloom    Sep 14 21:04:00 1983

Re: Berlin, NH

	.... as the story goes, they changed the pronUnciation during
	WWII .... for the obvious reason.

Ray Bloom
{harpo,ima,esquire}!imnet!bloom

tim@hpfclk.UUCP (12/09/83)

#R:sbcs:-53800:hpfclk:7400002:37777777600:167
hpfclk!tim    Dec  7 14:46:00 1983

I seem to remember hearing that the cloven hooves aspect of kosher food
has to do with the animal being descended or related to satan in some
sense.

Tim Mikkelsen

bloom@inmet.UUCP (12/10/83)

#R:ihu1f:-21300:inmet:6400075:177600:884
inmet!bloom    Nov 30 13:18:00 1983

***** inmet:net.misc / ihu1f!nesacadm /  9:35 am  Nov 11, 1983

I wonder what that's going to do to the tv producers when they make
up phony numbers for their programs.

               Bill Adams     -->  AT&T Communications
               ihnp4!ihu1f!nesacadm
               (312) 979-6267
----------

	They're just going to have settle for that old standby, 555-2368,
which is (or used to be) used by the telephone companies in advertisements,
directories, etc. in pictures of sample telephones, or how to put that
sticker under the clear plastic plate on your Trim-line (r), and so on.

	Although, I just discovered in my local directory that New England
Telephone (NYNEX Corp.) uses 216-555-7829 in one picture/example.

(Of course, Trim-line(r) is a registered trademark of AT&T Co.)

				Ray Bloom
				Intermetrics, Inc.
				{harpo, ima, esquire}!inmet!bloom

davy@ecn-ee.UUCP (12/15/83)

#R:pur-phy:-111700:ecn-ee:16300001:000:314
ecn-ee!davy    Dec 14 23:50:00 1983

The reason places like McDonald's are switching to Diet Coke, at least
according to a friend who works for Burger King, is that Coke is
offering big savings on D-C in order to promote it.  Thus, the
reastaurants buy it for less, sell it to us for the same price, and
rake in the bucks.

--Dave Curry
pur-ee!davy

andrew@inmet.UUCP (01/13/84)

#R:utcsrgv:-306200:inmet:6400084:177600:233
inmet!andrew    Jan 12 13:30:00 1984

I read some time ago that counterfeit Canadian $25 bills were circulated
around the U.S.  That's right, $25; they were apparantly palmed off in
areas far enough from Canada that most people didn't know there is no
such denomination.

padpowell@wateng.UUCP (PAD Powell [Admin]) (01/15/84)

<blankety blank>

There is no such thing as a counterfeit $25 Canadian bill.
Since there is no such thing,  the person getting caught passing it
would have fun in court.  In the past, this has happened here in
Canada,  and the charge in court was really peculiar, something about
fraud, misrepresentation, etc.  As I recall, the people were NEVER
convicted, much to the frustration of the local Crown prosecutor...

Patrick ("Anybody want some German Marks?") Powell

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (01/17/84)

==================
There is no such thing as a counterfeit $25 Canadian bill.
Since there is no such thing ...  [as a real Canadian $25?? (MMT)]
==================
Amusingly, there is (or rather was) a legal $25 Canadian Bill. I say
amusingly because I read the first reference to the counterfeit
Canadian $25 a few hours after a numismatist (if that's what you call that
kind of bill collector) showed me a picture of one. They were issued
by a private bank whose name I forget about 50 years ago or so. But
they were legal, and for all I know they may still be legal. So one
could have a counterfeit Canadian $25.
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

oscar@utcsrgv.UUCP (Oscar M. Nierstrasz) (01/22/84)

If all those wombats weren't waging so much pyschic warfare,
perhaps we wouldn't have so many orphaned responses.

Oscar Nierstrasz (dang, that's hard to spell!)

lmaher@uokvax.UUCP (01/23/84)

#R:mit-eddi:-118000:uokvax:3800010:000:712
uokvax!lmaher    Jan 21 16:45:00 1984

(posting from a friend's account while uok is down)
I seriously object to hp-pcd!john's suggestion that a bank would
slip a counterfeit bill into a night deposit to pass the loss off
to a customer.  Having worked in the banking business, I can inform
you that the bank is much more interested in locating the source of
the counterfeiting than avoiding a miniscule monetary loss.  If they
can't discover who they got the bill from they certainly wouldn't
set the investigators off on the wrong track!

The loss for the bill would just be written off, as it is when tellers
miscount. A single $100 dollar bill hardly makes much difference to
the bank's profit.

	Carl
	..!uokvax!uok!crigney
	..!duke!uok!crigney

andrew@inmet.UUCP (01/24/84)

#R:dartvax:-61900:inmet:6400085:177600:30
inmet!andrew    Jan 22 19:03:00 1984

Club sandwiches, not wombats!

mazur@inmet.UUCP (01/26/84)

#R:seismo:-51800:inmet:6400087:000:58
inmet!mazur    Jan 24 10:21:00 1984

Wombats are better than sheep, because sheep can't cook?

nrh@inmet.UUCP (02/08/84)

#R:randvax:-164900:inmet:6400089:177600:219
inmet!nrh    Feb  5 14:51:00 1984

On this matter of psychic warfare:
I understand that Scientific American offers a prize of (I think) $10,000
for demonstration of ANY psychic powers in their labs  (under close
observation, natch!).  Put up or shut up.

paul@uiucuxc.UUCP (02/08/84)

#R:sunybcs:-89600:uiucuxc:3900044:000:1621
uiucuxc!paul    Feb  7 19:03:00 1984

Waterbeds are good for sleeping.  They're also energy savers.  I kept
my apartment at 52F at night and stayed warm.

I had the simplest kind of waterbed, no baffles or foam (you can never
completely empty beds that have stabilizing material inside and water
is HEAVY).  Wave motion is a problem only when you move.  It damps
out quickly enough.  Getting out of bed requires a practiced roll
and swing of the legs to put your center of mass on the railing.

Overall they're great for sleeping.  However beds see many other uses. . .
When the love of my life moved in we quickly found the waterbed
unsuited for lovemaking.  It imposes its own rhythm.  It lacks a firm
surface.  It's impossible to give a good massage on a waterbed.

What we've found to be the most comfortable overall is a futon.
A futon consists of multiple layers of cotton cloth, stiched together
to prevent shifting, covered with a cotton envelope.  They come
in standard sizes so you can use your present sheets.  They are
not treated for fire resistance -- I wouldn't recommend one for
someone with a penchant for smoking in bed.

Futons are firm, light, and adaptable.  Elegant wood frames are
reasonably priced and usually disassemble easily for moving.
I bought a queen size futon, composite particle board and oak
frame (not a veneer), new cotton sheets and pillows for $450
in Portland, OR.  (One of two states w.o. a sales tax.  Name the
other.)

         Paul Pomes

uucp:    {decvax,ihnp4,pur-ee,ucbvax}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!paul
US Mail: Paul Pomes, University of Illinois
         1304 W Springfield, Urbana, IL  61801
Phone:   217-333-6262

steve@zinfandel.UUCP (03/10/84)

#R:vortex:-25800:zinfandel:8200073:177600:338
zinfandel!steve    Mar  9 16:38:00 1984

    "All things are known to the mind of God.
    Therefore, there is no such thing as coincidence
    or randomness."
	 ihuxs!danjo

I asked your God and he told me that there were such things
as coincidence and randomness.  I believe him over you, danjo,
unless he told you otherwise, in which case he was just being
contrary again.

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (06/10/84)

> If a nonsmoker informs me *politely* that my smoke is bothering him,
> then I will either move out of his area or put my cigarette out.
> If some jerk *tells* me to put my cigarette out because it makes him
> want to puke, then I'll put it out all right, right in his eye.
> If people get nasty with me, I get nasty right back.

If you smoke in my vicinity, you have already been nasty.
You have fired the opening round.
"If people get nasty with me, I get nasty right back."
So there, think about that one...

But I'll be polite.
"Sir, your smoking makes me want to puke.
Please don't do it in my vicinity."

Who am I?  Practically anyone.  That's the point.

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (08/14/84)

>>  Undoubtedly everyone has seen the chairs without a backrest, but with a
>>  knee pad and a buttocks pad, widely touted as being good for the
>>  posture.  I'd like to get a feel for how suitable it would be for
>>  programming.

We have  one in our  little  machine  room.  Some  people  like it, some
people  don't,  and some  find  novel  ways to use it.  I find  that, no
matter  what  height  it's  set  for, my  shins  start to hurt in ten or
fifteen  minutes.  The rest of me feels fine, though.  It's certainly no
worse than a standard (padded) desk chair for typing.

Alan Silverstein, Hewlett-Packard Fort Collins Systems Division, Colorado
{ihnp4 | hplabs}!hpfcla!ajs, 303-226-3800 x3053, N 40 31'31" W 105 00'43"

woof@hpfcla.UUCP (woof) (11/12/84)

I had a book for a while called "Dear Sir, Drop Dead: A Study of Hate Mail
Through the Ages" which had some pretty good flames in it.  One was from
Voltaire, who had received a nasty letter.  It went something like:

	Dear Sir:
	  I am sitting in the smallest room of my house.  I have
	your letter before me.  Soon it shall be behind me.
			Voltaire

It also contained gems like a letter from Ben Franklin to the gas company
complaining that the gate to his house was in the dark halfway between two
street lights, and a bunch of hate mail to Ms. O'Hair (sp? the outspoken
athiest).  I'm don't remember who the editor of the collection was...

				Steve Wolf
				[hplabs,ihnp4]!hpfcla!woof

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (ajs) (12/10/84)

> Pepper ands zip and it stimulates the tastes buds.  If more people had
> pepper mills, instead of shakers, I think more people would use it.

Watch out, though, for black pepper is reputed to be a known carcinogen.

al@hpfclq.UUCP (al) (12/16/84)

The stuff I hear is that Tempest is a set of standards for impeding
the generation and reception of electromagnetic radiation.  The
rumour also has it that DoD is *real touchy* about all that stuff.

al "I'm not paranoid.  It's all the people following me." stone
...!hplabs!hpfcla!al

mcb@hpfclo.UUCP (mcb) (01/12/85)

Re: 'C' as a programming language...

	The most accurate description of the 'C' language that I have
	heard to date is:

	'C' - The language that combines the power of assembly language
	      with the flexibility of assembly language.

	I'll stick with Pascal, for what it's Wirth...

Mike Berry, HP FSD, hpfcla!mcb

					"Remember:  Rust never sleeps."

tim@hpfclp.UUCP (tim) (01/12/85)

Personally, I think it would be great to be able to determine all the
serial numbers (since we have a physical inventory of equipment once
a year - at least we have enough equipment).

It would be useful from a service point of view - it would be possible for
a service rep to check to see what upgrades are necessary on a particular
piece of equipment without having to tear it apart or check the S/N.

Tim (HP-IB used to be my life) Mikkelsen
hplabs!hpfcla!tim

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (01/16/85)

I haven't seen the question about TEMPEST qualification yet, just a
partial reply... hope this will help whomever.

TEMPEST qualification is a program where hardware is certaified to emit
a very low level of EM radiation.  The reason for this is to ensure that
highly-classified material is not ``readable'' at a distance.  It
usually makes the hardware sort of hard to use -- shielding over a CRT
is apparently a real problem -- but it works.

Sometimes they just shield the room instead.

Also, DoD isn't all THAT sensitive about TEMPEST -- it's only classified
a little bit, and that only in the specs.
--
		Opinions stated here are my own and are unrelated.

				Charlie Martin
				(...mcnc!duke!crm)

fair@dual.UUCP (Erik E. Fair) (01/18/85)

>> From: mcb@hpfclo.UUCP (mcb)
>> Subject: Re: Orphaned Response
>> Date: Sat, 12-Jan-85 12:11:00 PST
>>
>> 	The most accurate description of the 'C' language that I have
>> 	heard to date is:
>>
>> 	'C' - The language that combines the power of assembly language
>> 	      with the flexibility of assembly language.
>>
>> 	I'll stick with Pascal, for what it's Wirth...
>>
>> Mike Berry, HP FSD, hpfcla!mcb

The trouble with PASCAL is that it's not wirth a plugged nicklaus.

	``What, you think I'm kidding?''

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucb-arpa.ARPA

	dual!fair@BERKELEY.ARPA
	{ihnp4,ucbvax,cbosgd,hplabs,decwrl,unisoft,fortune,sun,nsc}!dual!fair
	Dual Systems Corporation, Berkeley, California

wfi@unc.UUCP (04/26/85)

> ... [brief list of interesting and unusual technologies] ...

You mean like "...spontaneous generation of acari insects..."
which was (to the best of my recollection) one of the catalog topics
mentioned? Indeed.  Maybe they can give us a few pointers on turning
bat's blood to gold too ... :-)

By the way, the last I checked acarids were NOT insects...

				-- Bill Ingogly

brooke@nmtvax.UUCP (04/27/85)

> YAHS (Yet Another Hamburger Story)
>
> When I was a student at New Mexico Tech the Big Boy from Albuquerque
> (about 70 miles away) was "captured" one year and lived in one of the
> dorms for a week or so until he was returned to the locker room at
> U of New Mexico.
>
> The same year (about 79 I think) the cow from one of the Albuquerque
> steak-houses was almost captured.  However, the kidnappers were
> caught by a cop when they pulled off I-25 to change a flat (or so
> the story goes).  Apparently he was a bit suspicious of a pick-up
> truck pulling a fake cow out of town on a trailer...
>
> [I wasn't involved in either of these, so the stories are second/third/
> fourth hand...any other Tech alumni out there who can elaborate?]
>
> --Jeremy Epstein
> Perkin-Elmer
> {decvax,ucbvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!jje

I'll be a Tech alumnus in 28 days.

Not a cow -- a steer.  I really don't know about the cop detecting the
steer (a rather large, fiberglass steer was on a trailer at an
Albuquerque steakhouse), but in the trip to Socorro, a Good Morning
America camera crew spotted them and used as human interest.  This was
St. Pat's '80.  I was only a senior in high school at the time, but I'm
pretty sure.

More recently, Jeremy (author of the beloved and ever popular ZAYEF-20),
the Ronald McDonald was taken from the local McDonalds (yes, we joined
the civilized world in 1981 -- or at least the outskirts of it) and hung
from a noose on Weir(d) Hall.  The more things change, the more they
remain the same.

--

                    J. Brooke King in Socorro Funland
                     ... ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!brooke

Any thoughts or non-thoughts expressed here are not necessarily those of NMIMT.

liang@cvl.UUCP (04/30/85)

> > >Even worse, however, is the afternoon drive-type DJ: Howard Stern.  His main
> > >goal is to pick offensive fun at anything and anybody.  He is best known
> > Hold on.  Don't get down on Howard.  I've seen him on the "David Letterman
> > Show" and found him to be quite a fun guy (though many people seem to
> Before NY, Howard Stern was here in D.C. on the morning show.  Upon
> first listening to his show, I was appalled at some of his antics, but
> after a time, I realized that all's fair on the airwaves - with some
> limitations.  I grew to enjoy listening to Howard once I realized he was
> trying to stir things up - which he did well.
> 	The interesting thing is, Howard left DC101 here, because he
> broke one of the few rules imposed on him by the station, he talked
> *REAL* bad about the DJs on another local station.
> --
> Paul H. Mauritz - Digital Equipment Corporation
>
> UUCP:   decvax!{decuac,grendel}!paul
> ARPA:   {decuac,grendel}!paul@seismo.ARPA
> AT&T:   (301) 474-4091
> USPS:   8301 Professional Place, Landover MD USA EARTH 20785, MS-DCO/913
>
> "Why is it that there are so many more horses' asses than there are
> horses? 	- G. Gordon Liddy

You never mentioned who replaced him on WWDC (DC101)....  The Greaseman,
aka Doug Tracht, a character in his own right.

-eli

Eli Liang  ---
        University of Maryland Computer Vision Lab, (301) 454-4526
        ARPA: liang@cvl, liang@lemuria, eli@mit-mc, eli@mit-prep
        CSNET: liang@cvl  UUCP: {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!cvl!liang

larry@prism.UUCP (05/22/85)

/**** prism:net.misc / vortex!lauren /  1:46 am  May 13, 1985 ****/
Just so that you heard it here first (I hope) here's my prediction
regarding the new Coke.  Over a period of time, Coke will find that
their average consumption drops with the new formula.  After they've
slipped about 3-5%, they will start marketing the "old" formula
alongside the new one.  The accompanying slogan will be something like:

"Now you have a choice!"

--Lauren--
/* ---------- */

Sure.  And their new spokesman will be Andy Kaufman.

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (ajs) (07/20/85)

Re: places with moderate temperature

Silverstein's theory of urban development:  People like to live in the
places that are nicest, so that is where big cities develop, but most
people don't like big cities, so after a while the best places aren't
the best any more, so people start to populate the previous second best
places, and so on.

San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Miami, etc. were probably very
nice places to live before they turned into concrete jungles.

Fort Collins (pop. 75000) is now one of the nicest places to live, if
you don't mind cold winters and treeless geography, but f you like a
small, modern, fast-growing town, which means after a while it won't be
so nice any more, probably.

woof@hpfcla.UUCP (woof) (07/24/85)

> I believe that Toyota did not stop making the Corona, but merely changed
> its name to Camry.

Corona disappeared years before the Camry came out (c. 1975 to 1984).  The
Camry is a luxury car starting at about $16k.

My theory is that the Corona and Corolla lines were combined.

Steve Wolf					 Hewlett-Packard Company
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!woof			  Fort Collins, Colorado

bccarty@whuts.UUCP (Brian C. Carty) (07/30/85)

> >Corona disappeared years before the Camry came out (c. 1975 to 1984).  The
> >Camry is a luxury car starting at about $16k.
>
> >Steve Wolf					 Hewlett-Packard Company
> >{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!woof			  Fort Collins, Colorado
>
> That's funny.  I just got a new Camry loaded with options for under
> $11000 including taxes.  I think perhaps you might be refering to
> the Cressida which I priced around $17,000.
>
> Lisa Geiger		ATT&IS
> ihnp4!druak!antics	Denver, Colorado

Not to mention the fact that the Corona existed until '82 and the Camry
appeared in '83.  Not exactly "years" between the two model runs.
--
	Brian C. Carty 		AT&T Bell Laboratories - Piscataway, NJ

		..!{ihnp4|allegra}!whuts!bccarty

antics@druak.UUCP (GeigerL) (07/30/85)

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (07/31/85)

In article <18800001@hpfclm.UUCP> woof@hpfcla.UUCP (woof) writes:

> ... The Camry is a luxury car starting at about $16k. ...

Nay, nay. I purchased a brand-new Camry about six weeks ago; it was
loaded (AM/FM and cassette, air conditioning, luggage rack, aluminum
wheels, cruise control, etc.). The price was around $12K. I think the
base price on the Camry is around $9K, but try to find one on the lot
that the dealer hasn't loaded up with a lot of options to up his
profit margin. A *great* car, though; probably the nicest thing I've
ever driven (since my last car was a '73 Chevy Nova, that may not be
saying much :-).
                           -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

woof@hpfcla.UUCP (woof) (08/12/85)

Warning:
Cherry Coke tastes awful after a burger with lots of onions.  I think it
has more to do with the onions than with the burger.

Steve Wolf					 Hewlett-Packard Company
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!woof			  Fort Collins, Colorado

woof@hpfcla.UUCP (woof) (08/12/85)

>                                         Their gums will be removed (in an
> unspeakably crude fashion...

You think that's bad... I once witnessed the cruel act of hacking the hips
off of roses to make "natural" vitamin C pills!  It's enough to make you
vomit.

Steve Wolf					 Hewlett-Packard Company
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!woof			  Fort Collins, Colorado

jlp@faust.UUCP (08/15/85)

{}

Soror, sororis, f. - sister

AKA == Alpha Kappa Alpha, a prominent sorority throughout the country. It
is at least fifty years old. Its members have gone on to positions of
success in government, business, and entertainment. The current generation
of AKA's will produce many successful engineers and scientists as well.
AKA's are renowned for their commitment to sisterhood, community,
scholarship, and advancement. They are usually well-mannered,
goal-oriented, attractive, personable, and great people to be around.

Theresa, if you ever come to Boston, your sisterhood here will take good
care of you ( Did you go to the '82 Boulet?). Drop by St. Paul A.M.E. in
Cambridge when you get here.

Jerryl Payne
...!ihnp4!inmet!faust!jlp

amc543@uiucuxa.CSO.UIUC.EDU (09/29/85)

I am the author of "Bradford," the near letter quality program
for Epson and Gemini printers.  I found it very hard to sell copies
in large quantity, because I can't afford $5000 advertisements.
So I recently uploaded copies of this software, in its  IBM PC
version, to some bulletin boards with a note explaining that although
I still own the copyright, I give permission for ANYONE to copy the
program.  Furthermore, I offered to provide the user manual for $15.
So far I have received orders for five manuals in the last ten days,
so things look good.

If you have an IBM PC and an Epson or Gemini printer and want to
print in near letter quality in a variety of fonts, sizes, and other
features, you can get BRADFORD.ARC from Gene Plantz's BBS at
312-882-4227 as well as many others.

amc543@uiucuxa.CSO.UIUC.EDU (09/29/85)

My apologies; I forgot to leave my name and address in the

Aaron Contorer
amc543@uiucuxa

gm@trsvax (12/11/85)

> How this is done is quite obvious.  You see the scene from very high up and
> must look down.  Underneath you is a setup of all the 'ghosts' in a black room
> moving about.  What you see is merely their reflection upon a semi-mirrored
> surface in front of the entire 'live' room you see that is really in front of
> you.

The same thing is done in several of the rides at Disney World. For
example, during the very last part of "Pirates of the Carribean", you pass
through a town which has been plundered. The flames are leaping into the
air and around the windows of several of the buildings. Some of the flames
are real, but they are well separated from anything flammable. The "flames"
in the buildings are really film (or videotape) of flames projected upon a
semi-mirrored surface in front of the interior of the buildings. So it
appears that the windows are on fire, but you can still see the furniture
inside.

Something along the same lines is done during the tour of the computer
system at Epcot Center. The cartoon character "Bit" is projected from
behind you upon the glass which separates you from the computers. So it
appears that "Bit" is really walking around and upon the computers inside.

Does anyone know what they use to generate the swampy smell during the tour
of the "Universe of Energy"?

						------------
						George Moore (gm@trsvax.UUCP)

royt@gatech.CSNET (Roy M Turner) (12/15/85)

In article <53600015@trsvax>, gm@trsvax writes:

> The same thing is done in several of the rides at Disney World. For
> example, during the very last part of "Pirates of the Carribean", you pass
> through a town which has been plundered. The flames are leaping into the
> air and around the windows of several of the buildings. Some of the flames
> are real, but they are well separated from anything flammable. The "flames"
> in the buildings are really film (or videotape) of flames projected upon a
> semi-mirrored surface in front of the interior of the buildings. So it
> appears that the windows are on fire, but you can still see the furniture
> inside.

Well, take a closer look at the flames next time--sure looked to me as if
they were just orange lights projected onto a cellophane "screen" that was
being blown or shaken about.  Nothing as fancy as real flames projected on a
mirror, I'm afraid.

I have a question for you folks, though--in the haunted house, how do they
manage the talking head in the crystal ball, if not via holograms?  You can
see it from any angle (ie, you see the side of her head as you come upon
the set, then the front, and it's all continuous).  Same with the figurine
of a woman above the exit.  Any ideas?

Roy

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (12/16/85)

In article <2267@gatech.CSNET> royt@gatech.CSNET (Roy M Turner) writes:
>I have a question for you folks, though--in the haunted house, how do they
>manage the talking head in the crystal ball, if not via holograms?  You can
>see it from any angle (ie, you see the side of her head as you come upon
>the set, then the front, and it's all continuous).

From a long-ago Walt Disney TV show (back when you could see it
for free) I remember that this is done by projecting a moving
face image onto a fixed, blank head.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

george@sysvis.UUCP (08/20/86)

>    For good or for bad there have not been any great generals in the last
> hundred years or so (there were some brilliant ones like Rommel, but not
> of the kind of the truly great ones).

"Great" needs some definition in scope of campaign and performance therein.
Taking this into account, George S. Patton was, without a doubt, a GREAT one.
Rommel lacked the "eye of quality" even though he was normally precise.  Oh,
and did you forget Sun Tzu?  He wrote the book.

victor@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Victor Balaban) (08/24/86)

In article <-534096606@sysvis> george@sysvis.UUCP writes:

>>    For good or for bad there have not been any great generals in the last
>> hundred years or so (there were some brilliant ones like Rommel, but not
>> of the kind of the truly great ones).
>
>"Great" needs some definition in scope of campaign and performance therein.
>Taking this into account, George S. Patton was, without a doubt, a GREAT one.
>Rommel lacked the "eye of quality" even though he was normally precise.  Oh,
>and did you forget Sun Tzu?  He wrote the book.

What about MacArthur?  I understand that he was supposed to be one of the
greatest ever, even if he did consider himself to be a higher authority
than the president.
--

                                           Victor Balaban

Beer.  It's not just for breakfast anymore

tower@mit-prep.ARPA (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (09/04/86)

this is really a test
--
Len Tower
Project GNU of the Free Software Foundation

UUCP:       {}!mit-eddie!mit-prep!tower
INTERNET:   tower@prep.ai.mit.edu
ORGANIZATION: Project GNU, Free Software Foundation,
   1000 Mass. Ave., Cambridge, MA  02138, USA +1 (617) 876-3296
HOME: 36 Porter Street, Somerville, MA  02143, USA +1 (617) 623-7739