[net.music] Splinter groups

"Michael C. Berch" <mcb%lll-tis.arpa@lll-tis.ARPA> (01/20/85)

   Nick Cuccia <cuccia@UCB-VAX.ARPA> writes:
   > I don't like Greatful Dead, Twisted Sister, or much of the dreck
   > that lives on the top 40/AOR stations. ...

Anyone who can mention the Grateful Dead and Twisted Sister in the
same sentence has demonstrated that he would, in fact, be happier
in another newsgroup/mailing list.

I guess all music that you don't like seems much the same, but if
I were interested in electronic music and jazz I'd be paying
attention to what the Dead are up to.

If anyone REALLY wants to start another splinter group, please add me
to net.music.dead.

				Michael C. Berch
				mcb@lll-tis.ARPA
				{akgua,ihnp4,sun}!idi!lll-tis!mcb

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (01/22/85)

>    Nick Cuccia <cuccia@UCB-VAX.ARPA> writes:
>    > I don't like Greatful Dead, Twisted Sister, or much of the dreck
>    > that lives on the top 40/AOR stations. ...
>
> Anyone who can mention the Grateful Dead and Twisted Sister in the
> same sentence has demonstrated that he would, in fact, be happier
> in another newsgroup/mailing list.

Well, gee, I'd better be careful. If I ever talk about two different kinds
of music, I'd better remember never to mention them in the same sentence, or
I'll no doubt end up receiving the same thoughtful invitation.  If I don't
already.

                           "But I *like* Bach and Schoenberg!"
                           "Tough luck, buddy. Out!"

                                    Jeff Winslow

nm34@sdcc12.UUCP (nm34) (01/25/85)

> >    Nick Cuccia <cuccia@UCB-VAX.ARPA> writes:
> >    > I don't like Greatful Dead, Twisted Sister, or much of the dreck
> >    > that lives on the top 40/AOR stations. ...
> >
> > Anyone who can mention the Grateful Dead and Twisted Sister in the
> > same sentence has demonstrated that he would, in fact, be happier
> > in another newsgroup/mailing list.
>
> Well, gee, I'd better be careful. If I ever talk about two different kinds
> of music, I'd better remember never to mention them in the same sentence, or
> I'll no doubt end up receiving the same thoughtful invitation.  If I don't
> already.
>
>                            "But I *like* Bach and Schoenberg!"
>                            "Tough luck, buddy. Out!"
>
>                                     Jeff Winslow

More to the point, the Dead are not and never have been on any AOR
stations much less on the top. This just shows that you do not know of
what you speak. We'll let you stay on, if only you keep it shut.

Moral: Don't mess with DEADHEADS!

                                     Andy Bindan

cliff@unmvax.UUCP (01/26/85)

> > >    Nick Cuccia <cuccia@UCB-VAX.ARPA> writes:
> > >    > I don't like Greatful Dead, Twisted Sister, or much of the dreck
> > >    > that lives on the top 40/AOR stations. ...
> > >
> > > Anyone who can mention the Grateful Dead and Twisted Sister in the
> > > same sentence has demonstrated that he would, in fact, be happier
> > > in another newsgroup/mailing list.
> >
> More to the point, the Dead are not and never have been on any AOR
> stations much less on the top. This just shows that you do not know of
> what you speak. We'll let you stay on, if only you keep it shut.
>
> Moral: Don't mess with DEADHEADS!
>
>                                      Andy Bindan

I don't like spinach, big government or much of the dreck that lives
on the top 40/AOR stations.  What Nick Cuccia said does not imply that
he lumps the three together musically, just that he lumps the three
together in a distasteful pile.  Although you never know... Are you
there Nick?  What did you really mean?

					--Cliff

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (01/27/85)

> > >    Nick Cuccia <cuccia@UCB-VAX.ARPA> writes:
> > >    > I don't like Greatful Dead, Twisted Sister, or much of the dreck
> > >    > that lives on the top 40/AOR stations. ...
> > >

> More to the point, the Dead are not and never have been on any AOR
> stations much less on the top. This just shows that you do not know of
> what you speak. We'll let you stay on, if only you keep it shut.
>
> Moral: Don't mess with DEADHEADS!
>
>                                      Andy Bindan

...uh, right.  Nice try.

The Dead are usually played on many AOR stations.  They are, in fact, a
staple.  I heard a Dead song on WNEW, New York's AOR station, about a day
or two ago.  No, they've never had a TOP 40 hit but they do get played on
most AOR station.  "This just shows that you do not know of what you
speak. We'll let you stay on, if only you keep it shut."

Moral: Don't HEAD with DEADmess!
--
"That'S why I go for that                   Peter Merchant
 rock 'n' roll music."

cuccia@ucbvax.ARPA (Nick Cuccia) (02/13/85)

> > More to the point, the Dead are not and never have been on any AOR
> > stations much less on the top. This just shows that you do not know of
> > what you speak. We'll let you stay on, if only you keep it shut.
> >
> > Moral: Don't mess with DEADHEADS!
> >
> >                                      Andy Bindan
>
> I don't like spinach, big government or much of the dreck that lives
> on the top 40/AOR stations.  What Nick Cuccia said does not imply that
> he lumps the three together musically, just that he lumps the three
> together in a distasteful pile.  Although you never know... Are you
> there Nick?  What did you really mean?
>
> 					--Cliff

Geez, disappear for a couple of weeks, and look at the ruckus!
No, I do not lump the three together.  I admit that the Dead
(despite my misspellings) has its merits, but I'm afraid that
I can't say the same for Dee and the boys...  8-}
I'm also not saying that all (or even most) of what's spewing
forth out of top-40 and AOR stations (which is where my exposure
to the Grateful Dead comes from, btw... WLUP, Chicago) is necessarily
dreck; but what I'm trying to say is that it's a pain to weed through
so much net garbage to find something of interest.  That occasionally
happens, so I bear thru net.music.  But if time is important, I read
net.music.classical first...

--Nick Cuccia
--cuccia%ucbmiro@Berkeley
--...!ucbvax!cuccia