[net.misc] Jacob's Ladders

butch@utastro.UUCP (Allan Butcher) (09/13/86)

   Does anybody know how to make a functioning Jacob's Ladder - you know,
the big "V" shaped apparatus that throws an arc of lightning upwards that
was always in the mad scientist's laBORatory ???   I know you need a lot
of voltage, but what else and how ???

thanks

Allan Butcher and Dave Doss
Univ of Texas McDonald Observatory
Near Fort Davis
Western Territories, Republic of TEXAS

No bucks...no Buck Rogers...support your local observatory

jeffr@sri-spam.ARPA (Jeff Rininger) (09/16/86)

In article <1248@utastro.UUCP> butch@utastro.UUCP (Allan Butcher) writes:

>   Does anybody know how to make a functioning Jacob's Ladder - you know,
>the big "V" shaped apparatus that throws an arc of lightning upwards that
>was always in the mad scientist's laBORatory ???   I know you need a lot
>of voltage, but what else and how ???

	That's pretty much it - I use an old neon sign transformer,
	although any transformer with about 7500 VAC will work.  Make
	the "ladder" out of #12 or so copper wire, adjust the shape
	of the "V" so an arc starts at the bottom and travels to the
	top.  For a very large "ladder", you can suppport the wire every
	50 cm or so with insulators.  Be careful; this can kill you. . .

lynx@qantel.UUCP (D.N. Lynx Crowe@ex2207) (09/16/86)

In article <7104@sri-spam.ARPA> jeffr@sri-spam.UUCP (Jeff Rininger) writes:
>In article <1248@utastro.UUCP> butch@utastro.UUCP (Allan Butcher) writes:
>>
>>   Does anybody know how to make a functioning Jacob's Ladder - you know,
>>the big "V" shaped apparatus that throws an arc of lightning upwards that
>>was always in the mad scientist's laBORatory ???   I know you need a lot
>>of voltage, but what else and how ???
>>

>	That's pretty much it - I use an old neon sign transformer,
>	although any transformer with about 7500 VAC will work.  Make
>	the "ladder" out of #12 or so copper wire, adjust the shape
>	of the "V" so an arc starts at the bottom and travels to the
>	top.  For a very large "ladder", you can suppport the wire every
>	50 cm or so with insulators.  Be careful; this can kill you. . .

Note that Jacob's ladders also produce a great deal of RF interference
capable of wiping out nearby radio and tv reception, which makes them
unpopular with neighbors and the FCC ...

D.N. Lynx Crowe {dual, hplabs, lll-crg, ptsfa}!qantel!lynx
One should NEVER trust a government,  especially ones own.
Government is an organized crime.
Quote:  "We're live right now, hope you are too"
           -- Dr. Gene C. Scott

licsak@hsi.UUCP (Don Licsak) (09/17/86)

>    Does anybody know how to make a functioning Jacob's Ladder - you know,
> the big "V" shaped apparatus that throws an arc of lightning upwards that
> was always in the mad scientist's laBORatory ???   I know you need a lot
> of voltage, but what else and how ???
>
> thanks

Suggest you write Dr. Viktor Frankenstein, c/o Frankenstein Castle,
Transylvania. Enclose a SASE, reply takes 6-8 weeks.

--

         Don Licsak                      ihnp4!hsi!licsak
         Health Systems International

  "For Peace Of Mind, Resign As General Manager Of The Universe"

gnome@oliveb.UUCP (Gary) (09/17/86)

>    Does anybody know how to make a functioning Jacob's Ladder - you know,
>
> Allan Butcher and Dave Doss
> Univ of Texas McDonald Observatory
> No bucks...no Buck Rogers...support your local observatory

Yes.  You need a high voltage (~10KV) _AC_ supply that can output
relatively high current (in the milliamp range, not microamps).
Use AC ONLY.   High voltage DC is even more dangerous than AC.

Go down to a junk yard and see if you can pick-up a working
oil-burner ingition transformer.  They are 'just right' for
that application.  Second to that are neon sign transformers.

Be careful!

Gary

bobt@pogo.UUCP (Bob Tidrick) (09/18/86)

In article <1248@utastro.UUCP>, butch@utastro.UUCP (Allan Butcher) writes:

>    Does anybody know how to make a functioning Jacob's Ladder - you know,
> the big "V" shaped apparatus .............
> thanks
>
> Allan Butcher and Dave Doss

	You first need about 15,000 volts AC. More if you can get it but this
is the easiest to find. I used a spark lighter from an old furnace. 60 Hz works
very well. The element may be made from somthing as simple as a straightened
coat hanger. Use some good insulators on the bottom. Space them a good two
inches appart. The bottom of the elements must be farther appart than the
bottom of the V which is about 1/4 inch appart, depending on your voltage.
The V should split appart about 1 inch for every 6 to 8 inches.

	If the spark does not ignite the elements are too far appart If it does
ignite but doesn't go up widen the gap at the bottom of the V.

	The angle of the V and the heat of the spark will determin how fast the
spart rises. Humidity and voltage will determin how high it goes.

	Please be careful with these things. Not only is the voltage dangerous,
The spark will set things on fire quickly. It also kicks out large ammounts of
ozone, concentrations of which is corrosive.

	HAVE FUN. I did
One of the symptoms of		    /\/\/\
an approaching nervous		   //    \\
breakdown is the belief		   | O  O |
that one's work is		  }|  /\  |{
terribly important.		   | \__/ |
	Bertrand Russle		    \____/
			       HAVE A GOOD ONE!

jdo743@uiucuxa.CSO.UIUC.EDU (09/22/86)

Yes, I have an idea of how to do it.  Here goes:

    You need the power supply to a neon sign.  (The part of the sign that
generates the high voltages needed to ionize the gas.)  Replace the leads to
the gas tubes with about 6 or 8 gauge wire, and bend the wires outward.
That should do it.  The only problem is getting hold of the power supply.

roman@sigma.UUCP (Bill Roman) (09/24/86)

Well, I haven't tried it, but someone told me...

You need an oil burner ignition transformer or something similar, capable
of providing about 10 kV at 100 mA, and  a coat hanger.  Cut the coat hanger
into two pieces, attaching one to each output terminal of the transformer.
They should almost touch at the bottom, and spread wider up higher.  Apply
power.  An arc should form at the bottom; the ionized air, being hot, rises,
carrying the arc upward.  Eventually it will break and reform at the bottom.

WARNING: 10 kV at 100 mA WILL KILL YOU !!! BE CAREFUL!!!!!!

jlh@loral.UUCP (The Aimless Wanderer) (10/01/86)

When I was a stupid kid who didn't know better I made a 150,000 - 200,000
volt tesla coil (nifty plans from popular electronics).  To get that high
a voltage I used a neon sign transformer to go from 110 to ~25,000,
then made a transformer to kick it up higher.  The article told me how
to find out my final voltage.

Anywhoo, the point is that companies that make neon signs (Cal Neon in
San Diego) generally have used transformers stacked up somewhere.  They
are about 3 X 4 X 10 inches in size, and if you're persistant when you
call them (secrataries and presidents usually don't know what your talking
about) they'll usually give them to you for free just to take them off
their hands.  I'm sure that if you connected two wires to the output
terminals you'd get a Jacob's Ladder.  THESE PUPPIES WILL KILL.
BE CAREFUL!!!

stubbs@ncr-sd.UUCP (Jan Stubbs) (10/01/86)

In article <1248@utastro.UUCP> butch@utastro.UUCP (Allan Butcher) writes:

>   Does anybody know how to make a functioning Jacob's Ladder - you know,
>the big "V" shaped apparatus that throws an arc of lightning upwards that
>was always in the mad scientist's laBORatory ???   I know you need a lot
>of voltage, but what else and how ???

I will answer this with a story about the Jacob's ladder I built as a
kid. I got a hold of a small neon light power supply which I think
was just a transformer which output about 8000 volts at about 100ma.

I took two peices of copper wire and nailed one end of each to
a wooden board. They were about 1/4 of an inch apart at the
bottom and then spread apart slowly to about 2 inches at the top.

I attached the two wires to the transformer output and plugged
it in. Presto, it began sparking across at the bottom, and the
spark slowly climbed up the ladder just like in the Frankenstein
movies.

Suddenly it stopped. Thinking it needed adjustment I grabbed the
upper ends of the wires to press them closer together. Unfortunately
I forgot to unplug it.

When I woke up... I had 2 little black holes in the ends
of my fingers. Moral? be careful!

Jan Stubbs    ....sdcsvax!ncr-sd!stubbs
619 485-3052
NCR Corporation
16550 W. Bernardo Drive MS4010
San Diego, CA. 92127

johne@athena.UUCP (10/02/86)

I too, when I was a dumb kid, used a neon sign transformer to make a
Jacob's Ladder (must be a popular method).  When we moved to another
house, I think that my loving parents used that opportunity to dispose
of the transformer (it was probably for the best).  I have kept my
eyes open for another one ever since.  By the way, THEY ARE VERY
DANGEROUS!

alanj@orca.UUCP (10/03/86)

In article <609@athena.UUCP> johne@athena.UUCP (John F. Ewing Jr.) writes:
>  ...  I think that my loving parents used that opportunity to dispose
>of the transformer (it was probably for the best).  I have kept my
>eyes open for another one ever since.  By the way, THEY ARE VERY
>DANGEROUS!

Not only are they dangerous electically, but they also produce copious
amounts of ozone (O(3)).  They should only be run with adequate ventilation.
When I was in college, some friends of mine built and ran one in their
dorm room (it was Halloween).  After spending about half an hour there one
evening, I had to leave -- nausia, headache, etc.  Prolonged exposure can
cause more serious health problems.

	-Alan Jeddeloh
	Tektronix ... (what-division-am-I-in-now?)
	Wilsonville, OR
	tektronix!orca!alanj