[net.misc] Phone billing bug, revisited

mem@sii.UUCP (Mark Mallett) (10/02/86)

Well, folks, it has happened to me again.  For the second time in the
last couple of years I have been the victim of a bug in ATT phone billing.
You may recall my posting the first time it happened, a year or two ago.
It seems that it is possible to place a call right before midnight and
get charged for an extra 24 hours.  (It is quite a thrill to open up a
bill and see a $350 phone call in it.)

I suspect, as I did the first time, that someone is reading the date
before reading the time of day, and not bothering to see that they
make sense together.  I thought that everyone knew enough to verify
that synchronized variables are indeed in synch, especially when it
comes to reading date/time values.

Probably some big IBM billing computer somewhere.  I would hope that this
problem isn't in unix!!

-mm-

barr@calma.UUCP (10/04/86)

In article <448@sii.UUCP> mem@sii.UUCP (Mark Mallett) writes:
>It seems that it is possible to place a call right before midnight and
>get charged for an extra 24 hours.  (It is quite a thrill to open up a
>bill and see a $350 phone call in it.)

Hmmmmm.  Does this mean that if I place a call from an Airphone while
flying east across the International Date Line that I'll get a *credit*
for 24 hours worth of conversation on my next Visa bill??  I gotta try
that next time ...

--

Ken Barr		{ucbvax,sun,csd-gould}!calma!barr
Calma Company		calma!barr@ucbvax.ARPA

Disclaimer:  Calma lets me use their computers and their mailstops.  Unless
	     policy has changed, my opinions should not be considered as gospel.

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (10/15/86)

In article <448@sii.UUCP>, mem@sii.UUCP (Mark Mallett) writes:
> I suspect, as I did the first time, that someone is reading the date
> before reading the time of day, and not bothering to see that they
> make sense together.  I thought that everyone knew enough to verify
> that synchronized variables are indeed in synch, especially when it
> comes to reading date/time values.
>
> Probably some big IBM billing computer somewhere.  I would hope that this
> problem isn't in unix!!
>
> -mm-

     I can see from your remarks that you haven't been reading the
discussion of how to recognize leap years that has been going on in
net.lang.c.  :-)

Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...akgua!akguc!codas!peora!ucf-cs!usfvax2!jc3b21!fgd3