[net.misc] battery sizes

dave@murphy.UUCP (10/10/86)

Ok, here's a stumper.  In the realm of 1.5V batteries, there are AAA, AA,
C, and D sizes.  What happened to the A and B sizes?

---
It's been said by many a wise philosopher that when you die and your soul
goes to its final resting place, it has to make a connection in Atlanta.

Dave Cornutt, Gould Computer Systems, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
UUCP:  ...{sun,pur-ee,brl-bmd}!gould!dcornutt
 or ...!ucf-cs!novavax!houligan!dcornutt
ARPA: wait a minute, I've almost got it...

"The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer,
not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary."

larry@jc3b21.UUCP (Lawrence F. Strickland) (10/13/86)

In article <100@houligan.UUCP>, dave@murphy.UUCP writes:
> Ok, here's a stumper.  In the realm of 1.5V batteries, there are AAA, AA,
> C, and D sizes.  What happened to the A and B sizes?
> Dave Cornutt, Gould Computer Systems, Ft. Lauderdale, FL

The A and B size batteries were used in REAL old-time radios.  They were
built to function with tubes in a 'portable' radio.  The A batteries were,
if I remember correctly, used to supply the heater current and the B batteries
were used to actually run the set.

Often the A size was a large, but regular looking battery.  The B size was
generally a wet cell and looked something like a car battery.  Anyway, that
is the best of my knowledge.  I had a pair in the dim past, but they are long
gone...

-----Lawrence F. Strickland (larry@jc3b21)     ---------------------------
     Dept. of Engineering Technology           + Cthulhu                 +
     St. Petersburg Jr. College                +      R`lyeh             +
     P.O. Box 13489                            +           wgah`nagl     +
     St. Petersburg, FL 33733                  +                 fh`tagn +
     Phone:  +1 813 341 4705                   ---------------------------

     UUCP:  ...akgua!usfvax2!jc3b21!larry

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (10/15/86)

In article <839@jplgodo.UUCP> steve@same (Steve Schlaifer x43171 301/167):
>The names A, B, and C batteries come from old (very old) tube radios.  The
>A battery supplied the filament current, the B battery the plate (anode)
>voltage also known as B+, the C battery supplied the grid bias.  B batteries
>are still around.  They are commonly known as lantern batteries [...]

Uhh.. one question.. it seems to me that the "A" battery would make a
better lantern battery, as the filaments require high currents at low
voltage (typically 6 or 12 volts), whereas the "B+" supply was (is?)
considerably higher (remember the vibrators in old car radios?) at lower
currents.