[net.music] Complaints about Doug and KB on net.music

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (11/15/85)

In article <829@masscomp.UUCP> lip@masscomp.UUCP (John Lipinski) writes:
>In article <2103@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) writes:
>>> ************************** FLAME **********************************
>>> I, for one, am sick and tired of reading complaints about Doug's
>>> postings to this news group.  If you dregs out there are tired
>>> of reading so much about KB, then start contributing more articles
>>> about other musicians you do like.
>>> ********************* END OF FLAME ********************************
>>>		[R. PRESTON]
>>Bra-vo!!!!  Thank you very much!  Well said.
>
>Second that!! Applause, Applause!!

   Here's some hard facts for you people to consider.  I condensed this from
three representative articles which appeared in net.news.groups (where the
fate of newsgroups is discussed) recently.  Things to keep in mind while
perusing this are the rmgrouping of net.bizarre and the dropping of
net.flame by most of the backbone sites.
   My comments are enclosed in brackets.
--

	Much of the "volume reduction" discussion seems to center on
questions of which newsgroups to eliminate.

The USENET top fifteen:

net.news.group:        575403  7.19
net.music:             392347  4.91
net.sources:           319899  4.00
net.sources.mac:       298630  3.73
net.flame:             291171  3.64
   .
   .

The USENET top 15, cross-post compensated:

net.music:             370451  4.63
net.news.group:        341738  4.27
net.sources:           289265  3.62
net.sources.mac:       283740  3.55
   .
   .

To give a point of comparison, in the last six days, Rich Rosen posted
146193 bytes, amounting to a little under two percent of USENET volume.

These groups still amount to roughly forty percent of the total net content,
but notice that most of the popular candidates for removal have moved down.
Net.flame, in particular, has dropped dramatically.  Notice also
that most of these groups are "content" groups, one third are technical
[ THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART ---vvvvvvvvv]
or net.administrative, and that net.music,  which no one gripes about,
has an incredibly high volume, much of which turns out to be
extensive lists of peoples' favorite guitarists.  (Raw data not posted;
check for yourself).
[Actually, most of it is Kate Bush/Madonna flamage, obnoxious meta-discussions
like this one, and Kirschner & Palena sitting side by side at their keyboards,
chuckling to themselves while having world-wide "private" discussions.]

rst@tardis
--

The removal of net.flame and net.bizarre by certain sites is the
beginning of a re-examination of what this network has become and where
those who are supporting it think it should go. Net.flame was not the first
to fail to meet the minimum standards and I suspect it will not be the last.
[This all translates to: Net.music is next on the target list]
---rick
--
[The following type of comparison has been used to demonstrate that the
excessive volume of certain newsgroups is due to the obsessions of a few

Here are the average article sizes and top 25 groups minus top 25 users for
Nov. 10:

     Orig. Avg. Art. New      %
Rank Rank    Size   Kbytes   Chg.   Group
  1    1      1.4    563.8    4.1%  net.news.group
  2    2      1.7    319.3   23.0%  net.politics
  3    6      1.5    308.4    7.5%  net.flame
                       .
                       .
  9    3      4.0    208.7   46.7%  net.sources
 10    4      1.1    197.1   48.1%  net.music
 11    5      2.3    189.8   50.1%  net.philosophy
                       .
                       .

Again, note the number of large drops.

For comparison, Rich Rosen (the top user) would have been 3rd on this list.

Charley Wingate
--

Further commentary:  It's fine to tell people to quit complaining about
excessive Kate Bush flamage/counter-flamage, but increasing the volume of

 - Joel Plutchak
   {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

"Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry." - PG