[net.micro.cbm] SID and speech

ee173xed@sdcc3.UUCP ({|stu) (12/02/84)

> From sdcsvax!akgua!whuxlm!whuxl!houxm!ihnp4!ihuxu!russell Sat Dec  1 14:39:24 1984
> From: russell@ihuxu.UUCP (Larry Russell)
> Newsgroups: net.micro.cbm
> Subject: Re: How good is speech synth. on C64?
> Date: 1 Dec 84 22:39:24 GMT
>
> I would not think that the SID chip has sufficient filtering capability
> to synthesize recognizable speech.
> There is, however, a speech synthesis board available (at Toys 'R' Us
> among other places) which I have not actually heard myself
> --
>
				> Larry Russell
				> AT&T-Bell Laboratories
				> Naperville, IL
				> ihnp4!ihuxu!russell

The SID certainly is capable of reproducing recognizable
speech.  A program called SAM not only speaks using
only software and the SID, it can sing!
Another proam exists that will playback digitally
recorded sound using the SID as a DAC.

I will admit that my copy of SAM was given to me,
but it should be available through any user's group.