[net.micro.cbm] Turbo Load

rfox@sdcsvax.UUCP (Richard Fox) (03/12/85)

I have just obtained a program called turbo load. It is a quick loader
for the 1541. It seems to work on most program files but not all.
I was wondering if the author of "Flash" could compare the turbo
load with his version. I think it would be very useful to know
the difference.

rich

dillon@ucbvax.ARPA (The Sherif "Matt D.") (03/29/85)

In article <736@sdcsvax.UUCP> rfox@sdcsvax.UUCP (Richard Fox) writes:
>I have just obtained a program called turbo load. It is a quick loader
>for the 1541. It seems to work on most program files but not all.
>I was wondering if the author of "Flash" could compare the turbo
>load with his version. I think it would be very useful to know
>the difference.
>
>rich

The author of 1541 Flash (Bryce Nesbitt) responds;

	The easiest way to compare the two is that Turbo Load is a very small
subset of 1541 Flash!. Flash adds a comparable speed increase in such a
format as to be compatible with virtually ALL software. Flash also does
not need to be loaded from disk each time... it is ROM resident.
	Flash also adds a bunch of commands including a DOS wedge and some
additional screen editor features. (and, if you know ME well enough to
have recieved a upgrade, more Wedge commands, a Notepad and a Ml Monitor)
	Turboload does not fix any of the BUGS in the C64/1541. Flash does.
	Flash does not blank the screen during a load. Turbo Does.
	Another important difference is that Turbo Load only speeds up ONE
type of load. 1541 Flash speeds up ALL types of load/save/copy/format.
Turbo Load will not speed Block-Reads, Sequential, Relative or User files.
It will not speed up most 'copy-protected' software, Flash does.
	And finally Turbo Load is availible to type in from COMPUTE! mag.
1541 Flash (flashload) must be purchaced for $69.95 usa.

         -Bryce Nesbitt