[net.micro.cbm] Review of "Programming the Commodore 64 - The Definitive Guide"

dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (04/08/85)

COMPUTE! Books has published another book for the C-64. The title is
"Programming the Commodore 64 - The Definitive Guide" and it is written
by Raeto Collin West.

This book is different from the usual COMPUTE! book in that it isn't
a collection of previously published articles. I was a little wary about
a book that claims to be THE book for the C-64, but it's the
best book yet on the subject.

Most C-64 books tend to be a re-wording of the Programmer's Guide that
Commodore published way back when, but this book takes that basic material
and expands on all of the subjects.

Every topic contains many example programs that demonstrate the ideas
that are being discussed. Subjects covered range from Basic to Kernal ROM
to graphics (all modes) to sound to ml to basic with ml to I/O devices
to .... In other words, anything you need to know about the C-64.

The 609 page book lists for $19.95 and is well worth it!

                               Dave Lowrey

"GORT...Klatu borada niktow"

                                   ...!{nsc,sun,hplabs,ihnp4}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]

wbell@utcs.UUCP (Warren Bell) (04/11/85)

In article <1377@amdahl.UUCP> dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>COMPUTE! Books has published another book for the C-64. The title is
>"Programming the Commodore 64 - The Definitive Guide" and it is written
>by Raeto Collin West.
>
>This book is different from the usual COMPUTE! book in that it isn't
>a collection of previously published articles. I was a little wary about
>a book that claims to be THE book for the C-64, but it's the
>best book yet.
>                               Dave Lowrey
>                                   ...!{nsc,sun,hplabs,ihnp4}!amdahl!dwl10

 If its by Raeto Collin West, it IS the definitive book on the c64.
 I have been waiting (far too many) years for this book.
 R.C.W. wrote THE definitive book on the PET ("Programming the PET/CBM")
 a number of years ago.  It was relied on as accurate reference material
 by many programmers for a long time. Its too bad Commodore couldn't
 release such a book instead of the PRG...

Warren Bell
--
----
UUCP: {cbosgd,decvax,harpo,ihnp4,utcsri,{allegra,linus}!utzoo}!utcs!wbell

BITNET: wbell at utoronto