[net.micro.cbm] RS232 interface plans needed

dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (05/09/85)

I have heard that the RS232 interface for the C-64/VIC is very
simple to build and that the parts are cheap. Is this true? If so,
does anyone have plans for the interface? I have access to a 1200
bps modem, but it doesn't like the TTL level signals from the
user port.

Thanks in advance.......
                               Dave Lowrey

"To vacillate or not to vacillate, that is the question....
 ....or is it?"
                                   ...!{nsc,sun,hplabs,ihnp4}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]

paulw@amd.UUCP (Paul Woods) (05/10/85)

> I have heard that the RS232 interface for the C-64/VIC is very
> simple to build and that the parts are cheap. Is this true? If so,
> does anyone have plans for the interface? I have access to a 1200
> bps modem, but it doesn't like the TTL level signals from the
> user port.
>
> Thanks in advance.......
> --
>                                Dave Lowrey

The following was posted earlier and I had it saved in my files.  I
have not tried this out but it looks ok at first glance.

paulw

Subject: C64 RS232 Schematic

	Well here is the RS232 Interface that I mentioned some months
	ago. The first thing that you will notice is that it uses a
	charge pump to supply the +/- supplies required for true RS232.
	If you find that you have to tune a few parameters in order to
	clean up the supply levels it wouldn't suprise me. If done right
	this project should cost well less than $10. Good Luck!

			Dave Page

				RS232 Interface

                 +- 9A

          (11)|--+--->|---+---o +9V

          (10)|--+--->|---+-|(-o Gnd

                 +- 9B

                9A--|<---+--|<---+--o -9V
                         |       |
                         +-)|-+  +-)|-o Gnd

                9B------------+

            (2)|------o +5V

      (N) & (A)|------o Gnd

                          100ohm
                   |\
    (M)|-----------|-\
                   |  >---<XXX>---o RS232 Txd
               +---|+/
               |   |/

  +5V o--<XXX>-+-<XXX>--o Gnd
         5kohm   1kohm

            100ohm         1kohm
                   |\
RS232 Rxd o-<XXX>--|-\
                   |  >--+-<XXX>-->|--+--o |(B) & (C)
               +---|+/   |            |
               |   |/    |            |
               |         |            |
  Gnd o--<XXX>-+-<XXX>---+            +--<XXX>-o Gnd
         1kohm   10kohm                  3kohm

    Legend:

    ->|- or -|<-    are 1N914 Diodes

    -<XXX>-         are 1/4W resistors

    -)|- or -|(-    are 35MFD Capacitors

    (XX)            are C64 User Port Pin Assignments

      |\
    o-|-\
      |  >---o      are LM741 op amps or equivelent
    o-|+/
      |/

       The User is expected to know where +/- supplies attach to
      the opamp being used and to determine the pinout. All resistor
      and capacitor values are nominal and may require fine tuning.
      The prototype model of this circuit was found to run fine with
      both our VAX at 75ft run and my 1200baud modem at 40ft. If
      more than 3 line handshake is desired the charge pump should
      be modified for full wave operation and the approprate I/O
      circuit wired in (either transmitt or receive).