[net.micro.cbm] The EPYX FastLoad Cartridge

jobusch@isucs1.UUCP (07/12/85)

Concerning the EPYX FastLoad cartridge...

Has anyone out there experienced problems with this little piece
of crud? So far, I have destroyed 3 disks of data (retrievable,
fortunately) and have encountered problems with my printer while
the FastLoad cartridge was active.

Apparently, the thing likes to occasionally scramble sector 18,0
and 18,1 (just directory info..!) when you write to disk. Also,
my MPS802 printer (no snickers, please) refuses to print when
the cartridge is in.

None of my local computer dealers will say anything about these
problems, but I am convinced that something is  screwy here.
Granted, it must do some funky things to speed up a 1541 drive,
but at the cost of randomly munching a disk???

...Also, did you know there is a machine monitor (ala Supermon,
Micromon, etc...) on the Cartridge. You access it by entering
a '%' <cr>.
Dave Jobusch   Iowa State University
CSNET : jobusch@iowa-state,   USENET/UUCP isucs1!jobusch

GMW@psuvm.BITNET (07/21/85)

    I've had similar problems with Epyx's Fastload cartridge.  It seems like
it occasionally grabs output directed to the screen (program listings, error
messages, etc.) and writes it to track 18.  Serious problem there.  Also, the
built-in monitor seems to get lost at times when single-stepping through a
program.  I still use the cartridge, but it sure would be nice if you didn't
have to double-check everything you did with it.  At least it provides a built-
in disk editor (which does work) so you can fix what it munges.

George M. Weaver
Penn State Astronomy Dept.
GMW at PSUVM.BITNET
...!allegra!psuvax1!gmw@psuvm.bitnet

rmariani@watnot.UUCP (Rico Mariani) (07/22/85)

In article <329@isucs1.UUCP> jobusch@isucs1.UUCP writes:
>Concerning the EPYX FastLoad cartridge...
>
>Has anyone out there experienced problems with this little piece
>of crud? So far, I have destroyed 3 disks of data (retrievable,
>fortunately) and have encountered problems with my printer while
>the FastLoad cartridge was active.

I've been using FastLoad since it first became available and I've
*never* had *any* problems with it.  I use it with various games
and wordprocessors (mainly PaperClip).  I use a TEO printer with
a CARDCO interface and access that without hangups.  My modem works
fine too.

>Apparently, the thing likes to occasionally scramble sector 18,0
>and 18,1 (just directory info..!) when you write to disk. Also,
>my MPS802 printer (no snickers, please) refuses to print when
>the cartridge is in.

Apparanty *very* early versions (i.e. before it was available to me)
of the FastLoad cartridge did not "save" correctly.  This could be
the problem you are complaining about.

>...Also, did you know there is a machine monitor (ala Supermon,
>Micromon, etc...) on the Cartridge. You access it by entering

Anyone who's read the manual knows about the monitor (I hope) but it's
more like the monitor in the APPLE computer than Supermon or Micromon.
I wish it was Supermon or even TIM.

	-Rico

If you live under a rock you won't get a tan.