[net.micro.cbm] BYTE's PREview of the Amiga

kev@voder.UUCP (Kevin Hoskins) (07/31/85)

    If you look hard enough for the answer, it will eventually
come to light.

I did and BYTE was the source.

    The August, 1985 issue has a very complete discussion of the
operations of Commodore's latest. Some items showcased are;

        The custom chips (memory management, graphics/sound,
                          I/O)

        "Libraries" in the 192K ROM-based operating system

        System bus

        Multitasking

        The "Copper" - a coprocessor inside the animation chip that
        runs its own program.

        ...and much, much, much more.

    Also shown are examples of the high resolution multi-color
graphics that the machine is capable of generating.

    Price: $1295

    When: September, 1985 (latest info I have received)

mff@wuphys.UUCP (Swamp Thing) (08/03/85)

In article <828@voder.UUCP> kev@voder.UUCP (Kevin Hoskins) writes:

>    If you look hard enough for the answer, it will eventually
>come to light.
>
>I did and BYTE was the source.
>
>    The August, 1985 issue has a very complete discussion of the
>operations of Commodore's latest. Some items showcased are;
>

>    Price: $1295
>
>    When: September, 1985 (latest info I have received)

$1295 for a BYTE issue?  Boy, did you get ripped off!

						Mark F. Flynn
						Department of Physics
						Washington University
						St. Louis, MO  63130
						ihnp4!wuphys!mff

"There is no dark side of the moon, really.
 Matter of fact, it's all dark."

				P. Floyd

calway@ecsvax.UUCP (James Calloway) (08/07/85)

Since the time Byte's people looked at the Amiga, the machine's method
of storing its operating system has been changed. It will not be in ROM.
The OS and any other software needed to run the Amiga is loaded from
a "kick-start" disk into something called "writable control store,"
which is an extra 256K of RAM over and above the nominal 256K that comes
with the basic machine. The WCS can be written to only once after the computer
is powered up. Afterwards the OS is hardware-protected from being overwritten
by user software.

--

James  Calloway
The News and Observer