[net.micro.cbm] Amiga display

tve@cernvax.UUCP (tve) (08/26/85)

Subject : Amiga displays

I just read the article in Personal Computer (august). About the display it
says the following:

> The display can be one of a range of Commodore devices, or a wide range of
> alternatives. Commodore's own top-of-the-range screen has very high resolution
> ( 640x400 pixels ) and will sell for over $300 ( and be well worth it ), but
> cheaper ones will work.

_ Any comments by anyone who had hands-on ( or eyes-on ) experience and
  knows which of the many displays available he has seen ?

_ If I buy an Amiga, I want a *real crisp* display. Not the IBM/PC type
  of #$%&*&%$#. Is it worth it buying an expensive ( >$400 ) display or
  do I then see the deficiencies of the video driver circuit ?

_ Is the 640x400 video signal interlaced ? And the 640x200 ?
  What are the line and frame frequencies ?

I really would appreciate if someone would take the time to answer any of
the above questions. Please either post to the news or send me mail.

---------

	 Horst von Eicken              ...!seismo!mcvax!cernvax!tve
	 DD-Division                   ...!seismo!mcvax!cernvax!hve
	 CERN
      CH-1211 Geneva 23
	 Switzerland

---------

knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) (08/27/85)

 There are four graphics mode the Amiga operates in :
    320x200 non-interlaced, 32 color
    640x200 non-interlaced, 16 color
    320x400 interlaced, 32 color
    640x400 interlaced, 16 color
 It also has "sample and hold" color mapping, to get up to 4096 colors
  at once on static displays.
 The characters are bit mapped, so characters on screen isn't a pertinent spec.
 It has analog RGB, digital RGB, and NTSC composite outputs, so about any medium
to high-res monitor will work.  The analog outputs hook to the best monitor, a
Commodore analog RGB, but you could go to any standard monitor that you've
carried over from your IBM-PC or even to your TV set.
   '`'`'`
    Ken
   '`'`'`
PS all information herein was got from Byte, Personal Computing, Compute! or
   Amiga documentation, but mostly from Byte.