[net.music] Iron Butterfly

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (02/14/85)

> From:	umcp-cs!prophet		(Dennis Gibbs)

> Iron Butterfly came out with an album in 1975, and then another one in 1976.
> The 1975 album was named "Scorching Beauty", and I forget the name of the
> other album, but it had a big picture of a sword on the cover.
> Doug Ingle was not on either of these albums, and neither was Lee Dorman.
> However, both Ron Bushy and Eric Braunn (sp?) are on these albums.

Actually, they were both 1975 albums. SUN & STEEL came first, followed by
SCORCHING BEAUTY.

As for the various members of Iron Butterfly, most of them pretty much
disappeared. Ron Bushy showed up a couple of years after the above-mentioned
albums on a record called FIRST TASTE, by the group Juicy Groove (which had
other members with names like Mercury Flyer, Mars Bonfire, Magic Marker, and
Thundercloud).
	After METAMORPHOSIS, Lee Dorman and Larry "El Rhino" Rheinhart formed
another group called Captain Beyond, which released three albums: CAPTAIN
BEYOND (1972), SUFFICIENTLY BREATHLESS (1973), and DAWN EXPLOSION (1977). The
second of these three is quite good, though the other two aren't so hot.
	Danny Weis and Jerry Penrod, from the first generation of IB, went
on to form the group Rhinocerous, who did three albums: RHINOCEROUS (1969),
SATIN CHICKEN (1969), and BETTER TIMES ARE COMING (1970). Weis then played
with two other groups, who did one album each: OHIO KNOX (1971) by Ohio Knox
and ON THE LINE (1972) by Blackstone (the Canadian group --- there was also
an American band called Blackstone). Weis also did session work for a number
of people: David Ackles, Burton Cummings (of the Guess Who), Matthews Southern
Comfort, Lou Reed, and the Everly Brothers. The Everly album he's on, STORIES
WE COULD TELL (1972) has got more guests on it than you could shake a stick
at, like Geoff Muldaur, John Sebastian, Waddy Wachtel, Ry Cooder, Warren
Zevon, David Crosby, and Graham Nash.
	Other than Captain Beyond, El Rhino only did a little seesion work.
Mike Pinera, who also joined IB for the METAMORPHOSIS album, did some session
work also, including some for Alice Cooper. He also was in two other groups,
The New Cactus Band [SON OF CACTUS (1973)] and Thee [sic] Image [THEE IMAGE
and INSIDE THE TRIANGLE (both 1975)]. He also had two solo albums, ISLA (1978)
and FOREVER (1979).

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA