[net.micro.cbm] Database / Inventory Control

msf@rayssd.UUCP (Michael S. Frank) (10/18/85)

I need some help, please.

My grandparents own a small gift-type store and are interested in computerizing
their inventory, and would like to do it as inexpensively as possible.  I
realize that using an IBM or Apple, I could find plenty of software, but I'm
looking for some s/w for the 64 to do the same job, even if slightly slower.
Does anyone have any experience with s/w in this field?  It should be able
to sort on multiple fields; add and multiply fields (like quantity * cost, i.e.
a value of totale inventory); and have some type pf printer interface.
Graphics are nice, but not necessary; not even a deciding factor.

Thanks in advance!
--
  -----------------------------
  |\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

xxajtxx@hou2d.UUCP (A.THANGARAJ) (10/21/85)

<<<<<<<%%%%%%%######|||||$$$$!!!&&(line^eater)&&!!!$$$$|||||######%%%%%%%>>>>>>>
>From: msf@rayssd.UUCP (Michael S. Frank)
>My grandparents own a small gift-type store and are interested in computerizing
>their inventory, and would like to do it as inexpensively as possible.  I
>realize that using an IBM or Apple, I could find plenty of software, but I'm
>looking for some s/w for the 64 to do the same job, even if slightly slower.
>Does anyone have any experience with s/w in this field?  It should be able
>to sort on multiple fields; add and multiply fields (like quantity * cost, i.e.
>a value of totale inventory); and have some type pf printer interface.
>Graphics are nice, but not necessary; not even a deciding factor.

There is a whole lot of business-oriented software for the Commodore 64. Please
spend a couple of days in legwork before making up your mind. For a start check
with specialty computer stores (not KMART or TOYS 'R US, but the small stores
dealing only with Personal Computers) and get the names of the programs that do
the things you want on the Commodore 64. There are quite a few such stores that
carry inexpensive computers like Commodores and Ataris along with Apples or
Kaypros. Also, get a price on a Commodore computer system (including monitor,
printer and disk drive) from them. Then visit KMART, TOYS 'R US, Crazy Eddie,
Sounds Great, etc., and see how much less you can get the same system for.
TOYS 'R US, for example, has a whole aisle devoted to Commodore 64 software.
Finally, get hold of the catalog from PROTECTO enterprises (1-800-421-3443),
or call 47th St. Photo (1-800-221-7774) or Executive Computer (1-212-226-4010)
or any other mail-order places you can find, and get the system price from
them. Add up the cost of the entire system (hardware and software) before
deciding on one. Considering that it would be a business expense, and that it
could be capitalized and depreciated over several years (and might even
qualify for investment credit), your folks might want to avoid the hassle of
the C64's slow disk drive and 40 column display, and go for an easy-to-use,
slightly more expensive system that comes with bundled software (eg. the
bottom-of-the-line Kaypro, the Panasonic Sr. Partner or the Apple IIe),
or even get a fast IBM-Compatible like the AT&T PC 6300.  Once again, add
up the cost of the hardware and software, calculate the depreciation and
tax savings and figure out the true net cost of the whole works before
deciding.
                                                                      ....arun.
                         _______                 _______
Suite HR1K228           /   *   \       _       /   *   \        all views are
                       |    *    |     / \     |    *    |
480 Red Hill Rd        |* * H * *|   <(GSP)>   |* * R * *|       my own, etc...
                       |    *    |     \_/     |    *    |
Middletown NJ 07748    |    *    |Garden State |    *    |
                     +-------------+ Parkway +-------------+
hou2d!xxajtxx        |    R E D    |Exit 114 |   H I L L   |       ..the future
201-949-9127      |R E Q U I E M   B Y   T H E   P A R K W A Y|    lies in PC's

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (10/21/85)

> My grandparents own a small gift-type store and are interested in
> computerizing their inventory...

I imagine that this won't make me too popular, but you should try to
dissuade them.

"Inventory" is one of the hardest things to computerize (correctly), and
it has almost no pay-back.

Small-business operators have (understandably) come to the conclusion
that since big businesses use computers for certain applications, then
small businesses should take advantage of the microcomputer revolution
and computerize those same functions in their company.

Actually, the reason that big businesses use computers for functions
such as "inventory" is that it is flat impossible for them to do it
manually, and they can afford the relatively large expense that a
computerized system entails.

For small businesses, doing it manually is still possible, and is
better, faster and cheaper.

Another common microcomputer application that should be avoided is
"Payroll".  In this case, however, I don't recommend continuing with
a manual system.  Instead, contract out with the company's bank.  It's
very inexpensive, very easy, very accurate, and will keep the business
out of payroll-tax trouble.

The best small business application for a microcomputer is General
Ledger.  But for heaven's sake **make backups and protect them**!
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {calcom1,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

jobusch@isucs1.UUCP (11/04/85)

Multiplan is available for the C64. It is slow, but it works OK.

Dave Jobusch at Iowa State University
USENET/UUCP	{umn-cs|okstate}|isucs1!jobusch
CSNET		jobusch@iowa-state