[net.micro.cbm] IBM compatible PC-10, PC-20 and Commodore related magazine

kev@voder.UUCP (Kevin Hoskins) (12/17/85)

     First of all I would like to know if any one out there as heard
of the PC-10 and PC-20 IBM compatible computers from Commodore. I
believe that they are available in Canada and in Europe but for some
reason not here in America. (Beats me why!! If they price these two
computers in the same fashion as they have the C64, et al, they would
be able to take advantage of a very strong IBM compatibles market
right now.) If anyone in Canada (or maybe Europe) knows of a mail-order
facility that sells the two computers, I would sure like to hear from
you. (Hello? Brad?.....Brad Templeton........Are you out there......are
you listening?)

     Next I would like to draw your attention to a magazine
that a fellow C64 owner gave to me. It is entitled Translator and is
published in Canada.

     This magazine is full of very informative articles pertaining
to the C64, C128, and the PC10 and PC20 IBM compatible computers. There
is an abundant supply of source code for machine language programs (they
are currently developing a new basic for the C64) as well as listings
of very well designed basic programs. In the Nov. '85 issue there is a
collection fo letters that discuss aspects of the 1541 that I have never
seen anywhere else. They also cover the Comal language (and others) in
detail.

     I subscribe to both Compute! and Compute!'s Gazette and will
continue to do so. But Transactor is at least an order of magnitude
better in content and detail. It will soon be arriving bi-monthly
in my mail box.

     If any one is interested in the address (I do not have it with
me now) let me know and I will get it to you.

     Kevin

bub@rlgvax.UUCP (Mongo Mauler) (12/19/85)

	I too enjoy the TRANSACTOR publication.  I like the fact that
	it targets the more knowledgable 64 computerist and goes for the
	more technical (and to me more useful) aspects of CBM computing.

	I believe Commodore does not market the PC clones in the U.S. for
	good reason.  Look at the UNIX machine market...glutted and
	causing lots of good people and organizations to bite the dust.
	Not because of poor equipment or any other 'good' reason, either.
	CBM's PC price is NOT directly competitive for the myriad other PC
	clone manufacturers (look at the prices for the Sanyo models) so
	CBM has decided to not go for a U.S. market.  Too bad for us who
	might like to have one, but in the long run, if Commodore is not
	losing money, that will translate into savings for us.

	Happy Holidays, folks!

	Bubba Pearson

kev@voder.UUCP (Kevin Hoskins) (12/19/85)

In article <954@voder.UUCP>, kev@voder.UUCP (Kevin Hoskins) writes:

>      If any one is interested in the address (I do not have it with
> me now) let me know and I will get it to you.

     My mail does not seem to be going out. Therefore, for the people
that have responded and asked for the address of The Transactor, here
it is:

          The Transactor
          277 Linwood Avenue
          Buffalo, NY
                      14209-9990

     Subscriptions are $15 for 6 consecutive issues, back issues are
available at $4.50 each, and disks containing programs from volume 4
to the present are $7.50 each.