[net.micro.cbm] Price of a C64

cmoore@amdimage.UUCP (chris moore) (01/25/86)

My sister is planning to by a Commodore 64 for her kids.
She said she's found one for about $180.  Is this a good
price?  What should she expect to get for that much?
Disk drive(s)? Monitor? Just the computer?  Thanks.
		Chris Moore
		amdimage!cmoore

--

Of course we have backup tapes.  Do you want last year or the
 year before?

 Chris Moore (408) 749-4692
 UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!amdimage!cmoore

bub@rlgvax.UUCP ( Mongo Mauler) (02/07/86)

> My sister is planning to by a Commodore 64 for her kids.
> She said she's found one for about $180.  Is this a good
> price?

	NO that is not a good price.  Most all mail order companies
	(I'm speaking of reputable firms, not fly by night jobs) now
	sell the C64 for around $130-145.00.  Some even include S&H
	charges in that price.

> What should she expect to get for that much?
> Disk drive(s)? Monitor? Just the computer?  Thanks.

	That price will include ONLY the C64 itself.  The machine is
	ready to hook up to your TV (as a 'monitor') when you buy it,
	with all cabling included.  For another $30.00 she could
	purchase the Commodore datasette recorder at any Toys R Us
	shop and be ready to start computing.  Basic prices for a
	color composite monitor are now running $140-170.00 (again,
	mail order probably your best bet), and for a disk drive you
	can expect to pay about the same.  Some mail order companies
	are now selling whole packages though, including C64, Monitor,
	Disk Drive, and sometimes even a word processor for a basic
	price of about $400-450.00.  Buy a coupl'a Commodore specific
	magazines and shop around the mail order advertisements.  I
	have dealt with PROTECTO, TUSSEY MT. PRODUCTS, SOFTWARE DIS-
	COUNTERS OF AMERICA, and COMPUTER CENTERS OF AMERICA and have
	not been burned yet.  Good luck!

	Your friend and mine,

	Bubba Pearson

ma168abh@sdcc7.UUCP (Ed Joseph..) (02/14/86)

In article <946@amdimage.UUCP>, cmoore@amdimage.UUCP (chris moore) writes:
> My sister is planning to by a Commodore 64 for her kids.
> She said she's found one for about $180.  Is this a good
> price?  What should she expect to get for that much?
> Disk drive(s)? Monitor? Just the computer?  Thanks.
> 		Chris Moore

I seen the C-64 going as low as $119 on sale on some stores.
But then again this is in S CA.  The price will be great if include
a monitor or the drive, a tape is no good on it since it takes
eternity and then some to load anything.

ed..

bub@rlgvax.UUCP ( Mongo Mauler) (02/17/86)

> In article <946@amdimage.UUCP>, cmoore@amdimage.UUCP (chris moore) writes:
> > My sister is planning to by a Commodore 64 for her kids.
> > She said she's found one for about $180.  Is this a good
> > price?  What should she expect to get for that much?
> > Disk drive(s)? Monitor? Just the computer?  Thanks.
> > 		Chris Moore
>

> I seen the C-64 going as low as $119 on sale on some stores.
> But then again this is in S CA.  The price will be great if include
> a monitor or the drive, a tape is no good on it since it takes
> eternity and then some to load anything.
>
> ed..

DON'T COUNT OUT THE DATASETTE!  A VERY LARGE VARIETY OF 'SPEED LOAD'
UTILITIES EXIST THAT GIVE THE DATASETTE SPEEDS AS GOOD (MAYBE EVEN
BETTER THAN) AS WHAT YOU GET FROM YOUR 1541 OR COMPATIBLE DISK DRIVE.

I KNOW BECAUSE I HAVE BOTH.  THE DATASETTE STILL HAS THE INHERENT
DISADVANTAGE OF BEING A SEQUENTIAL ONLY READ/WRITE DEVICE, BUT IT IS
VERY CHEAP, EXTREMELY RELIABLE, AND FOR $15-30.00 EXTRA, AS FAST AS
THE 1541 DISK DRIVE.