[net.micro.cbm] Volks 6470 Modem

bpm@homxb.UUCP (B.MAGNIN) (03/14/86)

Is anyone out there in netland familiar with the Volks6470
modem.  I thing the manufacturer is Anchor (somethingorother).

300 b/s   Bell 103 compatible
1200 b/s  212A compatible
autodial/answer
Tone/Pulse dialing

Spotted on sale for as little as $130.

Please E-mail any info or experience you may have with
this modem.

Thanks in advance.

bpm@homxb.UUCP (B.MAGNIN) (03/14/86)

Sorry for the repost.  Sig file was munged.

Is anyone out there in netland familiar with the Volks6470
modem.  I think the manufacturer is Anchor (somethingorother).

gibson@trwrba.UUCP (Gregory S. Gibson) (03/17/86)

In article <1326@homxb.UUCP> bpm@homxb.UUCP (B.MAGNIN) writes:
>Is anyone out there in netland familiar with the Volks6470
>modem.  I think the manufacturer is Anchor (somethingorother).
>
>300 b/s   Bell 103 compatible
>1200 b/s  212A compatible
>autodial/answer
>Tone/Pulse dialing
>
>Spotted on sale for as little as $130.

Protecto Enterprize is advertising a 1200 baud modem for $80 and the
interface for $25.  See compute Gazette.

jhenry@randvax.UUCP (Jim Henry) (03/19/86)

In article <1931@trwrba.UUCP> gibson@trwrba.UUCP (Gregory S. Gibson) writes:

> Protecto Enterprize is advertising a 1200 baud modem for $80 and the
> interface for $25.  See compute Gazette.

Protecto does not have these.  Their negotiations with the manufacturer fell
through.  They may get them later.

slindahl@udenva.UUCP (Steve J. Lindahl) (03/20/86)

> In article <1326@homxb.UUCP> bpm@homxb.UUCP (B.MAGNIN) writes:
> >Is anyone out there in netland familiar with the Volks6470
> >modem.  I think the manufacturer is Anchor (somethingorother).

Is this modem Hayes compatible?  Do places like K-Mart and LaBelles sell them?

                sjl (duorion)
                Universe of Diversity

--
---------------------------------CUT HERE--------------------------------------
hao!udenva!slindahl

                            I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to
                            myself than to be crowded on a velvet cushion.

                                              Henry David Thoreau

brent@orsvax1.UUCP (Brent Chivers) (03/22/86)

> > In article <1326@homxb.UUCP> bpm@homxb.UUCP (B.MAGNIN) writes:
> > >Is anyone out there in netland familiar with the Volks6470
> > >modem.  I think the manufacturer is Anchor (somethingorother).
>
> Is this modem Hayes compatible?  Do places like K-Mart and LaBelles
> sell them?

I tried to e-mail a direct reply to the original question but failed.

The Anchor Automation VOLKS 6470 is not "Hayes compatible".  It seems
to use many signal lines of the C-64 user port for control and command
functions.  It comes with a program on disk called AutoCom V, which
claims it can up/download from a 30K buffer.  AutoCom V does not do any
sort of terminal emulation beyond a "glass tty", but it gives many
options like screen/border/xmit-rec-char colors, word wrap, dialing
directory, repeat dial, auto login sequences, auto upload at set time,
and auto answer.  It does not provide an 80-col screen.  The modem will
not work with Kermit.  (I returned it to the store (Toys-R-Us, a very
good Commodore source in this area), so I can't give more details.)

The Commodore 1670 modem implements a subset of the "Hayes" commands.
It comes with a disk containing software for both the C-64 (vt-52
emulation) and the C-128 (vt-100 emu) and a communication program that
supports Xmodem, Compuserve-B (?), and raw file transfers.  I have not
exercised these programs, as I generally just use Kermit as a terminal
to our VAX.  The 1st unit I received (mail order) was defective (blew
the C-64 internal fuse), but the replacement has given no problems.  (I
don't have the manuals here at the office, but I will be glad to answer
further questions.  I also have termcaps for C-64 Kermit.)

Except for TTL-vs-text control, the modems appear very similar.  Same
size and shape, (I think) both have monitor speakers, both work well
on local calls at 1200 baud.  (That's all I've tried.)  My ad searches
(Nov '85) found the Commodore $10-$20 more expensive than the Anchor.
--
-------------
Brent Chivers	ORS Automation, Inc	allegra!princeton!orsvax1!brent

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (03/26/86)

I had a 6470 for a little while, and then returned it. The main reason I
didn't like it is that Anchor assumes that all users will be satisfied
with their lousy terminal program and do not provide any documentation
of the modem's commands. Without knowing the commands, you can't dial out
from another term program. It now appears that I can get a 6470 at a very
good price. If anyone knows the command set for the modem, could they mail
me that information. I know I could try contacting the company, or
disassemble the terminal program if all else fails, but this way seemed
like it might be faster and easier.

TIA.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

Green s/m watchlizard seeks s/f/wl - object: companionship. Reply
Box 23, Cynosure.