[net.micro.cbm] CP/M with modem on 128

prindle@nadc (04/08/86)

From: prindle@NADC

The beta-test release of the CP/M 3.0 BIOS necessary to support an RS232 device
has been available for some time now via such services as Compuserve, Genie,
Delphi, etc.  I don't know any other way to get it except, of course, via
U.S Mail from someone who has it.  It still has a few glitches, but works quite
well with a modem and comes with IMP, a CP/M modem program that is equally at
home with 300 or 1200 baud, auto-dial or manual-dial modems, and does XMODEM
transfers very nicely.  The BIOS slows down the Z80 anywhere from 6 to 90%, so
it's best to crank down the baud rate when you're not using the RS232 port,
cause they poll it *all* the time, not just when it's being used.  Give
Commodore another few months and I'm sure they'll tell you it will only be a
few months more now!
Frank Prindle
Prindle@NADC.arpa

ugbowen@sunybcs.UUCP (Devon Bowen) (04/10/86)

In article <1741@caip.RUTGERS.EDU>, prindle@nadc writes:

>The beta-test release of the CP/M 3.0 BIOS necessary to support an RS232 device
>has been available for some time now via such services as Compuserve, Genie,
>Delphi, etc.  I don't know any other way to get it except, of course, via
>U.S Mail from someone who has it.  It still has a few glitches, but works quite

I'd like to know how we are supposed to download such a system without the
system to download it with. Talk about catch 22. The way I'm doing it is to
have a friend with a CP/M system download it for me and put it on a 1571
readable format. But, for those without such a friend, you're out of luck.

                                  Devon E Bowen
                                  University of Buffalo

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (04/14/86)

In article <3023@sunybcs.UUCP> ugbowen@sunybcs.UUCP (Devon Bowen) writes:
>I'd like to know how we are supposed to download such a system without the
>system to download it with. Talk about catch 22. The way I'm doing it is to
>have a friend with a CP/M system download it for me and put it on a 1571
>readable format. But, for those without such a friend, you're out of luck.
>
>                                  Devon E Bowen
>                                  University of Buffalo

Since you asked _so_nicely_, I'll tell you the secret, but just this once.
Along with the new cpm system files, there are several public domain
programs available that will allow you to capture the CPM stuff in C128
mode.  With one of these you can capture everything on a C128 style
disk (any format will do), and then transfer this file over to a single
sided CPM disk.  The other method is a terminal program that runs in
C128 mode but downloads to a single-sided CPM disk.  These various utilities
follow the CPM upgrade just about everywhere it goes.

-Dave Haynie
 Compuserve	76703,2047
 QLink		Animal128
 C128		32800,123,45,6
--

Dave Haynie    {inhp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

               Ever since the Sun took LSD,
               its been a fundamentally better Sun...
               More pink, and green, and electic blue.
               Lets hope it comes up again today!

fred@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (04/14/86)

> In article <1741@caip.RUTGERS.EDU>, prindle@nadc writes:
>
> >The beta-test release of the CP/M 3.0 BIOS necessary to support an RS232 device
> >has been available for some time now via such services as Compuserve, Genie,
> >U.S Mail from someone who has it.  It still has a few glitches, but works quite
>
> I'd like to know how we are supposed to download such a system without the
> system to download it with. Talk about catch 22. The way I'm doing it is to

The latest CP/M release is shipped with the DRI CP/M Plus (tm) manual and
utilities disk, which you can order by returning the order form you received
with your system.  Please note this is a one-shot deal, and that the version
which supports RS-232 will not be available until *beta* cycle is complete.
Until then, a patch program is available on Compuserve, QuantumLink, etc. as
you have indicated (of course there is a disclaimer...).  I'll try and let
the net know when a new release is finally available and how to get it.
--
Fred Bowen     {inhp4|allegra|seismo}!cbmvax!fred

fetrow@entropy.UUCP (David Fetrow) (04/15/86)

In reference to the complaint of the catch-22 of downloading the CP/M
system that allows downloading.

 One of the available programs on the CPMSIG of Compuserve is a BASIC-128
modem program tha converts stuff into CP/M format onto the 1541 drive. This
neatly solves the catch-22. I have this (public domain) program and can
forward it from here to you via UUCP, which you can download via XMODEM.
--

  - Dave Fetrow

{ ihnp4, fluke, tektronix, uw-june }!uw-beaver!entropy!fetrow :UUCP
  entropy!fetrow@uw-june.arpa                                 :ARPA
  fetrow@UWALOCKE                                             :BITNET
  74175,1724                                                  :Compuserve