[net.micro.cbm] RS-232-C

ugbowen@sunybcs.UUCP (Devon Bowen) (04/15/86)

Alot of people have posted about there different methods of converting
from CBM RS-232-C to standard RS-232-C. My problem is the opposite. I'd
like to pick up one of the cheap 1200 baud modems from Commodore to run
on my 128. The only problem is if I ever upgrade to a non-cbm compatable
system, the modem is useless. I also have a TRS-80 at home that uses a
standard RS-232-C. I'd like to have the option to use it there if I ever
needed it. Does anyone know of plans to build a standard to cbm RS-232-C
converter?

                                   Devon E Bowen
                                   University of Buffalo

fred@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (04/17/86)

> Does anyone know of plans to build a standard to cbm RS-232-C converter?
>
>                                    Devon E Bowen
>                                    University of Buffalo

The Commodore C1011A card is an RS-232C terminal interface card, and has
been available for some time for the C64. It works also on the C128, but
you will have to remove its case, which interferes with the RGBI port.
(Its not my fault!)  There is a new RS-232C card in the works for the
C128 (functionally same, basically a new case...) which should be available
later this year.  The C1011A sells for abt $35 I think.
--
Fred Bowen     {inhp4|allegra|seismo}!cbmvax!fred

ugbowen@sunybcs.UUCP (Devon Bowen) (04/21/86)

In article <109@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>,fred@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP(Fred Bowen) writes:

> The Commodore C1011A card is an RS-232C terminal interface card, and has
> been available for some time for the C64. It works also on the C128, but
> you will have to remove its case, which interferes with the RGBI port.

I think you misunderstood me (or I, you). What I'm looking for is something
that would plug into the back of another computer that uses a standard
RS-232C (like the TRS-80, for example) and converts this computer to a
CBM RS-232C so that the computer could use CBM modems (because everyone
knows how much cheaper CBM hardware is!). Any ideas? I've gotten E-mail
from others also interested in such a device.

                                   Devon E
                                   University of Buffalo

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (04/24/86)

In article <3081@sunybcs.UUCP> ugbowen@sunybcs.UUCP (Devon Bowen) writes:
>In article <109@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>,fred@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP(Fred Bowen) writes:
>
>> The Commodore C1011A card is an RS-232C terminal interface card, and has
>> been available for some time for the C64. It works also on the C128, but
>> you will have to remove its case, which interferes with the RGBI port.
>
>I think you misunderstood me (or I, you). What I'm looking for is something
>that would plug into the back of another computer that uses a standard
>RS-232C (like the TRS-80, for example) and converts this computer to a
>CBM RS-232C so that the computer could use CBM modems (because everyone
>knows how much cheaper CBM hardware is!). Any ideas? I've gotten E-mail
>from others also interested in such a device.
>
>                                   Devon E
>                                   University of Buffalo

Well, all you need to do is convert the signals from your standard EIA RS232
device back to TTL levels, then wire them into the modem, and provide a
suitable power supply.  See one of the C64 reference manuals for the pin-out.

I really can't recommend doing this, but I think a third party manufacturer
could build a product that would power and convert say 4 Commodore 1660/1670
modems.  It should go over pretty well with the BBS crowd.

Also, the 1680 Amiga Modem, when it comes out, will be a standard 1200 Baud
Hayes compatible RS232 modem.  The priceing should be in-line with other
Commodore products, but that's up to the marketing people.
--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr