[net.micro.cbm] c128 assemblers

grwalter@watnot.UUCP (grwalter) (04/13/86)

I bought a C128 a little while ago, and previous to that I had a C64. Now,
I used to use the PAL assembler for the 64, and it works fine on the 128
BUT I HAVE TO USE IT IN 64 MODE ! ie. I can't take advantage of the high
speed 1571 drives and the 2Mhz mode when assembling a program I have written.
I am looking to buy a version of PAL when it comes out for the C128 (Brad
Templeton, are you reading this ?), but I am interested in hearing any reviews,
comments on anything else available, just in case something better comes along.
If enough interest is shown I will summarize to the net.

The reason I emphasize speed is that my program takes about 20 minutes to
assemble (the sources nearly fill up one side of a disk) and calculations
show that using the 1571 in fast mode should cut this down to at least 4
minutes.

I am also interested in hearing any reviews or comments about compilers
(BASIC or otherwise) available for the C128.

							Fred

UUCP  : {allegra|clyde|linus|decvax|utzoo|ihnp4}!watmath!grwalter
CSNET : grwalter%watmath@waterloo.csnet
ARPA  : grwalter%watmath%waterloo.csnEt@csnet-relay.arpa

In article <11723@watnot.UUCP> grwalter@watmath.UUCP (Fred) writes:
>I bought a C128 a little while ago, and previous to that I had a C64. Now,
>I used to use the PAL assembler for the 64, and it works fine on the 128
>BUT I HAVE TO USE IT IN 64 MODE ! ie. I can't take advantage of the high
>speed 1571 drives and the 2Mhz mode when assembling a program I have written.
>
>I am looking to buy a version of PAL when it comes out for the C128 (Brad
>Templeton, are you reading this ?).
>	Fred  {allegra|clyde|linus|decvax|utzoo|ihnp4}!watmath!grwalter

There is a package developed in house that includes a macro assembler and a
program editor that both take advantage of the C128 hardware.  I don't know if
the assembler would be any faster than PAL, since the object was to make it do
everything that the VAX based cross assemblers can do, and to allow truely
large assemblies.  The editor is similar to the DEC EDT keypad editing mode.

It is too soon to know when or if this package will be available, but I am
sure that it will be publicized on the various networks...

--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr

dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (04/25/86)

In article <11723@watnot.UUCP>, grwalter@watnot.UUCP (grwalter) writes:
> I am also interested in hearing any reviews or comments about compilers
> (BASIC or otherwise) available for the C128.

Proline Software has announced the C-128 version of the C-Power C
compiler package.

Features include 40 or 80 column mode, rmadisks (two), and support of the 1571
disk drive.

You can contact Proline at: 416-273-6350

                               Dave Lowrey

"To vacillate or not to vacillate, that is the question....
 ....or is it?"
                                ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]

bahilchie@water.UUCP (Brian Hilchie) (04/30/86)

>> I am also interested in hearing any reviews or comments about compilers
>> (BASIC or otherwise) available for the C128.
>>
>Proline Software has announced the C-128 version of the C-Power C
>compiler package.
>
>Features include 40 or 80 column mode, ramdisks (two), and support of the 1571
>disk drive.
>
>You can contact Proline at: 416-273-6350
>

>                               Dave Lowrey
>                                ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs}!amdahl!dwl10

And best of all, it's not copy protected!

Brian Hilchie
...ihnp4!watmath!water!bahilchie