[net.micro.cbm] QuantumLink

macdonald@author.DEC (Corporate User Publications) (12/06/85)

I logged onto Commodore's QuantumLink Network the other night. Looks
like it has a lot of potential. Here are some notes on the system:

o QuantumLink requires QuantumLink software available from Compuserve
  (free with the purchase of a 1660 or 1670 modem)
o It is an interactive system, with the host system controlling
  your screen
o Once you have set up your system, logins are automatic
o There is a flat fee of $9.95 per month for unlimited use of the
  system at 300 or 1200 baud
o Certain premium services such as access to public domain
  software and person to person chat incurs an additional 6 cent
  per minute charge (compared to Compuserve 1200 baud service
  at 20 cents per minute)
o The monthly fee includes an hour of 'free' premium service
o Software downloads are much faster than compuserve
o It is extremely user friendly
o Interactive games are very colorful and graphic
o An online encyclopedia, news, and weather services have no
  premium charge
o Hours are 6 pm to 7 am local
o Service is only available to VIC, 64, 128, and Amiga owners
o Your diskette becomes your key to system entry

Not a bad system. Its only a few weeks old, but is growing. Functions
very different from CIS or other systems. Many local access numbers
that are FREE! The flat monthly fee for use of the services at 300 or 1200
baud is innovative and may add a new level of competition to the
industry.

PM

jv249109@sjuvax.UUCP (vitullo) (05/20/86)

Has anyone heard of the new information service called "QuantumLink" that
is strictly for Commodore users? I recently subscribed to it and I think
it's a bargan. For only $9.95 a month, you get just about everything that
CompuServe offers and more. For one
thing, there are no surcharges for the encyclopedia or the Hollywood Hotline,
and there's also a better selection of Public Domain Programs. If anyone is
interested, the online number is 1-800-833-9400 for information and
registration.

If there is anyone who has already tried the service, I would like to hear
some feedback on what they think about it.

                      Joe Vitullo
                    St. Joseph's University

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (05/21/86)

In article <3155@sjuvax.UUCP> jv249109@sjuvax.UUCP writes:

>Has anyone heard of the new information service called "QuantumLink" that
>is strictly for Commodore users? I recently subscribed to it and I think
>it's a bargan. For only $9.95 a month, you get just about everything that
>CompuServe offers and more. For one
>thing, there are no surcharges for the encyclopedia or the Hollywood Hotline,
>and there's also a better selection of Public Domain Programs. If anyone is
>interested, the online number is 1-800-833-9400 for information and
>registration.
>
>If there is anyone who has already tried the service, I would like to hear
>some feedback on what they think about it.

I do "C128 Engineers" conferences on Q-Link once a month, so I've had a bit
of experience with the system.  Q-Link requires a custom program that currently
runs only on a C64.  This program interfaces with the Q-Link host machine
and gives you kind of a menu driven interface to the service.  Much of the
work that you do is local to your C64; it'll be transmitted occasionally to
the Q-Link computer.  This transmitting is in real time, though most of
the times I've been on (during conferences, so the system is obviously
full), these packet transfers seem to result in an overall slower system
than with something that's like Compuserve's direct interaction.

The best part of the system I've used so far is the equivalent of CIS's
COnference mode.  Users are free to create their own conference "rooms"
for public or private discussions.  The text in these conferences is buffered
on your C64, and you can scroll through it (a few pages is retained), better
in crowded conferences than on CIS with most terminal programs.  You can
also at any time send "on-line" mail to a user, which is a private message
that will flash up on his/her screen.  Of course, normal E-Mail is also
possible, though it's not quite as versitle (at least yet) as EZPLEX on CIS.
I think there's an additional charge for conferencing, as well as for some
other services, though these are generally reasonable.

Of course you're bound at all times to their software and the 40 column
display of a C64.  They have SIGs for various activities, and for C128,
C128 CP/M, and Amiga, though of course you'll have to download to your
C64 and then transfer to your other computer.  There are also various
on-line games, with special software support for some form of graphics
(haven't played any myself), and other information services.  Its certainly
a budget system in many respects, but it seems very popular, and does
have better conferencing than CIS.  Rumors are that improved software and
possible C128 support are on the way.

--

Dave Haynie    {caip,inhp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh
               "There, beyond the bounds of your weak imagination