[net.micro.cbm] MPS 1000 printer and PaperClip

lfk00@amdahl.UUCP (05/20/86)

I just purchased the CBM MPS1000 printer and the PaperClip word
processor for the C64.  PaperClip seems to get along fine with
the printer, as long as it stays in 1525 (*yecch*) mode.  I would
like to be able to use the IBM mode of the printer with PaperClip.

I have defined a new printer file for the IBM mode, but so far have
not been able to get any output.  I built my printer file using
almost all of the same sequences as defined for the MX80 series III
printers.  When I try to print, I get nothing but I know that the
system is trying to use the printer because pushing the offline
switch on the printer causes screen output to stop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Please respond via elect.
mail.

Thanks in advance,

--
     Lynn Kerby  -  Amdahl Corporation
                    Sunnyvale, Ca.

Disclaimer: Any and all opinions expressed herein are my own and do not
            necessarily represent the views of anyone, especially my
            employer.

siracusa@cbmvax.UUCP (05/23/86)

In article <3245@amdahl.UUCP> lfk00@amdahl.UUCP writes:
>I just purchased the CBM MPS1000 printer and the PaperClip word
>processor for the C64.  PaperClip seems to get along fine with
>the printer, as long as it stays in 1525 (*yecch*) mode.  I would
>like to be able to use the IBM mode of the printer with PaperClip.
>
>I have defined a new printer file for the IBM mode, but so far have
>not been able to get any output.  I built my printer file using

The MPS1000 has three operating modes : 1) MPS801,802,803 serial bus
2) IBM5152 Centronics  3) IBM5152 serial bus.  To use the MPS1000
in IBM5152 mode (serial bus) with paperclip paperclip must send a
secondary address of 128 or no secondary address.  An example of
what I mean in PET Basic:

             10 OPEN 4,4           : rem no secondary address
             20 PRINT#4,"hello"
             30 CLOSE4

             sends: => hello

             with 10 OPEN 4,4,128 sends => hello (same)

             with 10 OPEN 4,4,0 sends => didly (nothing sent)

Escape sequences are IBM5152 compatible and offer similarities to
MX80,FX80.  As far as getting paperclip to send secondary address of
128 I don't know, I would talk to the makers or sniff around their
low level code and make the mod.

David Siracusa		    Commodore Technology
			    uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!siracusa
			    arpa: cbmvax!siracusa@seismo.css.GOV
			    or    siracusa@cbmvax.UUCP@{seismo|harvard}
			    TEL : (215) 431-9100
			    ADD : 1200 Wilson Drive