[net.micro.cbm] VT100 emulation

goodenough@vogon.enet.UUCP (05/27/86)

First of all, I withdraw my comments adding to the flame on the request
for information on the simulator package.  I have to admit it was
something of a knee-jerk reaction at the time, and I'm sorry if I assumed
something that wasn't so.

Secondly on VT100 emulation: yes, the lack of escape sequences for insert
and delete character is a drawback.  The VT200-series terminals provide this,
plus other goodies, so maybe this is the direction future emulators will take.

I'm not sure I understand the objections to the way insert and delete line
work.  Certainly these functions are linked to the scroll region, but it
doesn't need to be set up specifically, so far as I know.

Jeff.

(Disclaimer: These views are my own)

In article <3242@decwrl.DEC.COM> goodenough@vogon.enet.UUCP writes:

>Secondly on VT100 emulation: yes, the lack of escape sequences for insert
>and delete character is a drawback.  The VT200-series terminals provide this,
>plus other goodies, so maybe this is the direction future emulators will take.
>
>Jeff.

The Commodore 1670 Modem includes a VT100 emulator that supports the keypad
and works with EDT and similar VMS editors.  Most software VT100 emulators
actually include the VT132 insert/delete line escape sequencs.  Perhaps you
could ask someone at DEC why they consider these 'advanced features' 8-)
--
George Robbins - now working with,      uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing      arpa: cbmvax!grr@seismo.css.GOV