[net.micro.cbm] Future models of Amiga

In article <207@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>Hi Gang,
>
>       I was wondering if anybody has actually seem the ephemeral
>Commodore 900.  There was a tantalizing little bit aobut it in Byte
>magazine almost two years ago.  I've heard that it is avilable in
>Canada anr/or Europe.  The dealer where I got my Amiga claims that
>he actually saw a 900 at a Commodore marketing meeting.  He also
>gave me a glossy page that had a photo of the machine and official
>corporate logo.
>
>       O.K., I was totally taken in by the Amiga and love it.  I'm
>ready with my next stack of cash.  How soon can we get one?
>Please, please?...
>
>       Bill Mayhew ..!allegra!neoucom!wtm or if lucky just wtm@neoucom

Well, I've seen plenty, but then I was one of the engineers working on
the C900 project.  Unfortunatly, the C900 status is somewhere between
being on indefinite hold, and dead as a doornail.  The machine really
worked, and a couple of hundred preproduction units were made in Germany,
but only a few ever made it outside of Commodore.

The reasons for this are complicated, but might be assumed to involve
Commodore's financial distress, the problems of starting up a new
product line and support structure, and corporate support for the Amiga.

Most of the Unix people have moved on, but there are a few of us left, but
we firmly believe that what the world needs is still a CHEAP UNIX MACHINE!!!
--
George Robbins - now working with,      uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing      arpa: cbmvax!grr@seismo.css.GOV