[net.micro.cbm] 1571 ROM Upgrade

siracusa@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Siracusa) (05/21/86)

                SU: Release Notes 1571 ROM upgrade
                FM: D. Siracusa
                DT: 05/20/86
                Rev. to ROM 310654-03

          I would appreciate any comments to the bugs or anomolies
          listed below before I make release for the 1571.

      1.  Previously during a BURST GCR FORMAT the  activity  led  was
          not activated.  This has been remedied (1571).

      2.  A bug in routine 'STLBUF' prevented  buffer  allocation  and
          caused the SAVE@ bug.  This has been remedied (1541/1571).

      3.  The 1571 Burst Load Utility would not load  'Locked  Files'.
          This has been remedied (1571).

      4.  A bug in routine 'TSTATN' caused device not present  errors,
          the irq source was never cleared in the 6522.  This has been
          remedied (1541/1571).

      5.  Previously an active collect in 1541  emulation  mode  would
          write  a zero to the double sided flag in the BAM.  This has
          been remedied (1541/1571).

      6.  Previously BAM allocation on side one would  write  the  BAM
          image  to the diskette every access.  This has been remedied
          (1571).

      7.  In Routine 'SPINP' interrupts from SP  (fast  serial  input)
          were not enabled properly, this has been remedied but has no
          affect on the operation of the serial bus (1571).

      8.  Previously if a copy was performed addressing drive one, the
          error  channel  would  return status 00, OK,00,00.  This has
          been remedied (1541/1571).

      9.  Motor acceleration time for the MFM controller was too  long
          and  affected  performance  when  reading and writing in MFM
          format.  This has been remedied (1571).

      10. Previously  determining   whether   a   diskette   was   GCR
          double-sided  or  single-sided  would  take  too long due to
          valid sync  pulses  found  on  'flippy  diskettes'  and  MFM
          diskettes.  This has been remedied (1571).

      11. Previously the rom test did not check the first page in  ROM
          memory.  This has been remedied (1571).

      12. Previously while loading files using the Burst Load  Utility
          retries were not performed properly.  This has been remedied
	  (1571).

      13. Due to a bug in  routine  'USEDTS'  a  block  not  available
          status  was returned when blocks free were equal to 3.  This
          has been remedied (1541/1571).

      14. With multiple files open and sectors  being  allococated  on
          both  sides  the  BAM swapper mechanism would trash BAM side
          one.  This has been remedied (1571).

          NOTE:  Below (1541/1571) implies that the bug occured in the
          1541  as  well as the 1571 disk drive.  While (1571) implies
          that the bug only occured in the 1571 disk drive.

*     David Siracusa	   Commodore Business Machines        		*
*         		   uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!siracusa    *
*  		           arpa: cbmvax!siracusa@seismo.css.GOV         *
*		           (or)  siracusa@cbmvax.UUCP@{seismo|harvard}  *
*			   TEL : (215) 431-9100			        *
*			   ADD : 1200 Wilson Drive			*
*				 West Chester, Pa 19380			*

ubsims@ecsvax.UUCP (William K. Sims) (06/03/86)

> [...]
>           memory.  This has been remedied (1571).
>
>       12. Previously while loading files using the Burst Load  Utility
>           retries were not performed properly.  This has been remedied
> 	  (1571).
>
>       13. Due to a bug in  routine  'USEDTS'  a  block  not  available
>           status  was returned when blocks free were equal to 3.  This
>           has been remedied (1541/1571).
>
>       14. With multiple files open and sectors  being  allococated  on
>           both  sides  the  BAM swapper mechanism would trash BAM side
>           one.  This has been remedied (1571).
>

>           NOTE:  Below (1541/1571) implies that the bug occured in the
>           1541  as  well as the 1571 disk drive.  While (1571) implies
>           that the bug only occured in the 1571 disk drive.

> *     David Siracusa	   Commodore Business Machines        		*
> *         		   uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!siracusa    *

Thanks Dave, That's good to know.  How do I, the owner of C128 and
two 1571 disk drives get the up dated versions of the rom's??
When I call up there and try to talk to someone I alwauys get the
RUN AROUND------ Please advise ---
******************************************************************^*
Bill Sims, Univ. of North Carolins --- (ubsims@ecsvax).
98c
98p

siracusa@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Siracusa) (06/04/86)

In article <1649@ecsvax.UUCP> ubsims@ecsvax.UUCP (William K. Sims) writes:

>>                 SU: Release Notes 1571 ROM upgrade
>>                 FM: D. Siracusa
>>                 DT: 05/20/86
>>                 Rev. to ROM 310654-03
>>

>>           I would appreciate any comments to the bugs or anomolies
>>           listed below before I make release for the 1571.
>>

>Thanks Dave, That's good to know.  How do I, the owner of C128 and
>two 1571 disk drives get the up dated versions of the rom's??
>When I call up there and try to talk to someone I alwauys get the
>RUN AROUND------ Please advise ---
>******************************************************************^*
>Bill Sims, Univ. of North Carolins --- (ubsims@ecsvax).

Guidelines for new ROM distribution have not been decided.  Service
centers would be a likely candidate.  Do not expect ROMS for a few
months.

David Siracusa		    Commodore Technology
			    uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!siracusa
			    arpa: cbmvax!siracusa@seismo.css.GOV
			    or    siracusa@cbmvax.UUCP@{seismo|harvard}
			    TEL : (215) 431-9100
			    ADD : 1200 Wilson Drive
				  West Chester, Pa  19380

ubsims@ecsvax.UUCP (William K. Sims) (06/06/86)

Dave Siracusa
Commodore Technology,
West Chester, PA
					William K. Sims
					University of N.C.
					Chapel Hill, N.C.
					27514
Dave,

Your artical ref the Rev. to ROM 310654-03, was most interesting.
I woul like to response to some of the items you have called out.
First, however, my equipment here, is a C128 (2) 1571's (1) 1541.
I am using the C128 for this function now (Unix).

ITEM			REMARKS
	1		I have this happen in the C/PM mode.
	2		I have not noticed the problem.
	3		I have tried to load locked files with no
			success.
	4		/TSTATN/ device not present has happen lots
			of the time, both in the 128 mode and in the
			C/PM mode. (I am using two 1571 drives).
	5		I have not noticed this problem.
	6		I have expperienced this, when formating a
			disk for double sided.
	7		I have not noticed this problem.
	8		I have not notice this problem since I am not
			using dual disk drives.
	9		I have not noticed this problem.
	10		I have noticed this, but has not been a problem
			for me.
	11		I have not noticed this problem.
	12		I have not noticed this problem.
	13		I have not noticed this problem.
	14		I have experienced this, however this has not
			showned to be a problem with me.

I hope this will help you in some of the bugs and anomolies in the
1571. Now that you are about to remedie these problems, what will I
have to do to get the ROM chips. Would it be possible to get the
necessary CHIPS to remedie my problems. I would be happy to make
a report back to you as to the effect it has with my setup.

Best Regards,

Bill Sims	(ubsims@ecsvax)