[net.micro.cbm] jet combat simulator for Commodore 64

sauder@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Jeff Sauder) (05/15/86)

I recently got a game for my Commodore 64 from a friend but I
received no documentation on how to play the game.  I am looking
for information on specific commands to control the airplane.

I think the name of the game is Jet Combat Simulator, although it
is also very possible that I could be wrong.  When the game is
booted, a menu is placed on the screen from which seven or eight
different choices can be made.  Among the choices are air-to-air
combat, landing practice, taking-off practice and cross-wind
turbulence practice.

I have determined that the s and w keys control the flaps and the c
key puts a crosshair on the screen (for shooting, I asssume).

If anyone recognizes this game, please send me e-mail and tell me
the necessary commands.  Thanks.
--

Jeff Sauder     {seismo,umcp-cs}!nbs-amrf!sauder

eric@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (05/16/86)

In article <303@nbs-amrf.UUCP> sauder@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Jeff Sauder) writes:
>I recently got a game for my Commodore 64 from a friend but I
>received no documentation on how to play the game.  I am looking
>for information on specific commands to control the airplane.
>
>I think the name of the game is Jet Combat Simulator, although it
>is also very possible that I could be wrong.  When the game is
>booted, a menu is placed on the screen from which seven or eight
>different choices can be made.  Among the choices are air-to-air
>combat, landing practice, taking-off practice and cross-wind
>turbulence practice.
>
>[...]
>
>If anyone recognizes this game, please send me e-mail and tell me
>the necessary commands.  Thanks.
>--
>
>Jeff Sauder     {seismo,umcp-cs}!nbs-amrf!sauder

flame on:
Unless said game is in the public domain, I suggest you go to your nearest
software dealer and buy a LEGITIMATE copy!
flame off

	Eric Cotton

--

"My hovercraft is full of eels."

/*========================================================================*/
/*====    UUCP: {ihnp4 | allegra | seismo}!cbmvax!eric                ====*/
/*====      or: pyramid!amiga!eric                                    ====*/
/*====    ARPA: cbmvax!eric@seismo                                    ====*/
/*==== US mail: Commodore Technology                                  ====*/
/*====          1200 Wilson Drive                                     ====*/
/*====          West Chester, PA 19380                                ====*/
/*====   phone: (215) 431-9180                                        ====*/
/*========================================================================*/

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (05/20/86)

In article <251@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) writes:
>In article <303@nbs-amrf.UUCP> sauder@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Jeff Sauder) writes:
>>I recently got a game for my Commodore 64 from a friend but I
>>received no documentation on how to play the game.  I am looking
>>
>>If anyone recognizes this game, please send me e-mail and tell me
>>the necessary commands.  Thanks.
>
>flame on:
>Unless said game is in the public domain, I suggest you go to your nearest
>software dealer and buy a LEGITIMATE copy!
>flame off
>
>        Eric Cotton

Thanks, Eric.  Your posting was most helpful.

Sean Casey                UUCP:  cbosgd!ukma!sean        CSNET:  sean@uky.csnet
University of Kentucky    ARPA:  ukma!sean@anl-mcs.arpa
Lexington, Kentucky     BITNET:  sean@ukma.bitnet

bc@mit-amt.MIT.EDU (William H Coderre) (05/21/86)

Note that it is perfectly legal to resell software.
If the first owner lost the manual, then the purchaser
would have difficulty, no?

ANYWAY, I'm interested in hearing what this software
WILL DO. That way, I could potentially buy it
(except I dislike "Commode" Computers ;^{>)......,bc

thoth@ihuxf.UUCP (Rosecrans) (05/23/86)

> ANYWAY, I'm interested in hearing what this software
> WILL DO. That way, I could potentially buy it
> (except I dislike "Commode" Computers ;^{>)......,bc

The above mentioned simulator is probably JET by Sublogic Corp. in Champaign,
IL.  This is the same company that authored Flight Simulator II.  JET can be
purchased at any computer store and it is availbale for Commodore, Atari, Apple,
Amiga, anf IBM-PC (and clones).

blevins@hpccc (05/31/86)

It is Jet Combat Simulator by Epyx; I have all of the jet simulators.
JCS is the most boring of the 3 (Jet by Sublogic, F-15 Strike Eagle by
Microprose, and JCS), with little to no detail in the world database.
If you want sweaty palms, get Strike Eagle... You can even play it with
a friend by splitting the flying and radar/weapons tasks (it gets pretty
busy up there at the higher skill levels!) Plus you get to cross swords
(and AGM-65's) with certain pesky Middle Eastern countries run by Guys
With Sunglasses That Don't Bathe Often Enough.  Jet is OK but I'm spoiled
by the same game running on my 8Mhz Vectra (talk about real time response!)
To answer your original questions, I lost the instructions to JCS! Sorry.

PS I am anxiously awaiting Gunship by Microprose, an Apache AH-64 Helicop-
ter simulator. Should be hot!

mikes@encore.UUCP ( Mike Skrzypczak) (06/13/86)

In article <17300002@hpccc> blevins@hpccc writes:
>It is Jet Combat Simulator by Epyx; I have all of the jet simulators.
>JCS is the most boring of the 3 (Jet by Sublogic, F-15 Strike Eagle by
>Microprose, and JCS), with little to no detail in the world database.

Personally, I like JCS best. There is no world database for all practical
purposes, there are no fancy armaments. If you want to FLY somewhat
realistically (compared to Jet and F-15) this is the games for thee.
Not having a real world database emphasizes the fact that at
750 knots/30000 feet navigation is NOT done by landscape.
A lot of has to do with knowing the flight characteristics of the plane,
which I admit, takes a long long time (Basically, you have to fly around
at different altitudes and throttles, and record things like different
turning radiuses at different degrees of bank, speed at altitude...etc.)

As regard to lack of missiles, as they said in Top Gun, American
pilots are too dependent on their missiles, and have lost their
dogfighting capability.

There are some glitched in JCS however. Specifically, if you right
roll with reverse rudder, expect to end up looking at a global map.
Terribly frustrating, especially with a plane on your tail. This
happens in other circumstances (to friends), but they are not in
commands that are likely to be used together.

Oh, by the way, dogfighting is easier to learn than landing in this
simulation.

over and out,
mike skrzypczak