[net.micro.cbm] C-Power and printers

jay@garfield.UUCP (06/19/86)

Does anybody know how to send output to the printer from programs
compiled using C-POWER? I have not been having much luck with it.

This program:
#include <stdio.h>
main()
{
	open(4,4,0);
	fprintf(4,"hello world\n);
	close(4);
}

gave me as output:
one line of graphic characters
then a formfeed
then some more graphic characters and HELLO WORLD at the end.

Any ideas.

dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (06/23/86)

In article <1304@garfield.UUCP>, jay@garfield.UUCP writes:
> This program:
> #include <stdio.h>
> main()
> {
> 	open(4,4,0);
> 	fprintf(4,"hello world\n);
> 	close(4);
> }
>
> gave me as output:
> one line of graphic characters
> then a formfeed
> then some more graphic characters and HELLO WORLD at the end.
>
> Any ideas.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but when I do the open to my
printer, I use:   open(4,4,"");

The open routine expects to find a pointer to a filename as the third parameter
. Perhaps it's taking whatever location zero is pointing to, and sending it
to the serial bus as a filename. Since the printer doesn't know what a file
name is, it just prints it.

Also, what kind of printer interface are you using, or is it a CBM printer?
Perhaps secondary chan 4 isn't the correct one to use.
                               Dave Lowrey

"So it goes, so it goes, so it goes, so it goes. But where it's
 going, nobody knows"   [Nick Lowe]
                                ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]