[net.micro.cbm] What is a Commodore 64C ????

dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (06/30/86)

I was wandering through my neighborhood TOYS <backward>R US store and
noticed a new computer, the "Commodore 64C".

Anybody know anything about this beast? What is new/different/exciting
about it?.
                               Dave Lowrey

"So it goes, so it goes, so it goes, so it goes. But where it's
 going, nobody knows"   [Nick Lowe]
                                ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]

shipley@pavepaws.berkeley.edu (Peter Shipley) (07/01/86)

In article <3425@amdahl.UUCP> dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>I was wandering through my neighborhood TOYS <backward>R US store and
>noticed a new computer, the "Commodore 64C".
>
>Anybody know anything about this beast? What is new/different/exciting
>about it?.

It's a C-64 that a face lift looking more like a C-128.

			-Pete
			shipley@pavepaws.berkeley.edu
			ucbvax!pavepaws!shipley

			shipley@violet.berkeley.edu
			ucbvax!violet!shipley

In article <3425@amdahl.UUCP> dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>I was wandering through my neighborhood TOYS <backward>R US store and
>noticed a new computer, the "Commodore 64C".
>
>Anybody know anything about this beast? What is new/different/exciting
>about it?.

It is basically the same C64 with C128 compatible sytling and some
software bundled in.  People still buy the C64 in large quanitites,
and it kept looking uglier every year...
--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr

brown@nicmad.UUCP (07/01/86)

In article <3425@amdahl.UUCP> dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>I was wandering through my neighborhood TOYS <backward>R US store and
>noticed a new computer, the "Commodore 64C".
>
>Anybody know anything about this beast? What is new/different/exciting
>about it?.

For a good description of the beast, look at the August issues of COMPUTE!
and COMPUTE!s Gazette.  There are feature articles in there.
--

		  ihnp4------\
		harvard-\     \

lishka@gumby.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) (07/01/86)

In article <3425@amdahl.UUCP>, dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
> I was wandering through my neighborhood TOYS <backward>R US store and
> noticed a new computer, the "Commodore 64C".
>
> Anybody know anything about this beast? What is new/different/exciting
> about it?.
> --

	The c64c is Commodore's repackaging of the c64.  They have put it
in a new case which looks like a 128 without a keypad and have coupled
GEOS along with the machine.  I heard that it will run about $179 to $199
(and I paid $400 for my old c64!).  If someone at Commodore is reading this
(I know they read net.micro.amiga):  why not offer your loyal owners GEOS at
a discount (or even free)?
	Also worthy of note is the new 1541 disk drive.  It to has been
repackaged so that the color matches the new c64c.  One thing inside has
apparently been changed: a sensor now tells the drive where zero track is,
so that annoying knocking sound won't occur (and consequently throw the
heads out of alignment).  This is the only modification, and the drive
is apparently supposed to be 100% compatible with the old 1541 (but wasn't
the 1571 supposed to be 100% compatible too)?

			Chris Lishka
			U.W. Madison

elg@usl.UUCP (Eric Lee Green) (07/02/86)

<munch>

You gotit. That's the primary difference. It uses the same circuit
board as the C-64, it uses the same keyboard, the only difference is
the case it's packaged in and the fact that it's packaged with GEOS
software (somebody rumored it'd be in ROM, Dave will have to comment
about that). Oops. Forgot the biggest difference. It costs $100 more.

--
--------Mandatory quote:------------
"The only way I can lose this election is if I'm caught in bed with a

cacscmst@cs1.UUCP (Michael Steven Temkin) (07/03/86)

In article <476@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, grr@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> In article <3425@amdahl.UUCP> dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:
> >I was wandering through my neighborhood TOYS <backward>R US store and
> >noticed a new computer, the "Commodore 64C".
> >
> >Anybody know anything about this beast? What is new/different/exciting
> >about it?.
>
> It is basically the same C64 with C128 compatible sytling and some
> software bundled in.  People still buy the C64 in large quanitites,
> and it kept looking uglier every year...
> --

The software is not just any software bundled in, it is the new GEOS
operating system which runs rings around the standard operating
system.  It also includes a communications software package of which
the name escapes me at the moment.  It is a good deal if you are
looking to buy a 64, but GEOS is out on its own for $59.95 at software
stores.  The GEOS system looks like a Mac O.S., and it acts like one
too.  It gives you icons for your files on disk (seq, prg, and usr are
all represented by different icons) so you can use a joystick or mouse
to select and click a file.  It also keeps the dates of creation and I
believe of last modification on disk, where I don't know.  However I
suspect it is on tracks 36-40.  It comes with other desk accessories as
well as a MacPaint and MacWrite type software.  A review was in RUN
magazine June edition I believe.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

			Mike Temkin
			...ihnp4!csun!cs1!cacscmst
			...psivax!csun!cs1!cacscmst
			...ttidca!csun!cs1!cacscmst

Ours is not to question why...or is it?

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

bub@rlgvax.UUCP ( Mongo Mauler) (07/04/86)

In article <794@usl.UUCP>, elg@usl.UUCP (Eric Lee Green) writes:
> <munch>
>
> You gotit. That's the primary difference. It uses the same circuit
> board as the C-64, it uses the same keyboard, the only difference is
> the case it's packaged in and the fact that it's packaged with GEOS
> software (somebody rumored it'd be in ROM, Dave will have to comment
> about that). Oops. Forgot the biggest difference. It costs $100 more.
>

> --
> --------Mandatory quote:------------
> "The only way I can lose this election is if I'm caught in bed with a
> dead girl or a live boy."  -- Louisiana governor Edwin Edwards before
>                               1984 governor's race.
> ------------------------------------
> Eric Green {akgua,ut-sally}!usl!elg
>            (Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509)

	IT DOES NOT COST $100.00 MORE!  The price is about the same
	retail as the old C64.  Even if you pay the suggested price,
	that will still only be about $40.00 more than you would pay
	for a HEAVILY discounted C64.

	I understand there are some RAM differences as well.  Nearly
	every Commodore specific magazine (RUN, COMPUTE'S GAZETTE,
	AHOY!, etc) have an article in the current issue describing
	the new 64C.  Pick one up if you're interested and wealthy
	enough.

	BTW - In my opinion, the new GEOS O.S. and the Quantum Link
	telecom package are alone a major advance for new 64 purchasers.
	When you get a computer that looks good (as opposed to one that
	used to resemble an overstuffed and outdated VT-100 clone) along
	with great FREE software, at a very low price, who can complain?

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (07/07/86)

> <munch>
>
> You gotit. That's the primary difference. It uses the same circuit
> board as the C-64, it uses the same keyboard, the only difference is
> the case it's packaged in and the fact that it's packaged with GEOS
> software (somebody rumored it'd be in ROM, Dave will have to comment
> about that). Oops. Forgot the biggest difference. It costs $100 more.
>
> --
> --------Mandatory quote:------------
> "The only way I can lose this election is if I'm caught in bed with a
> dead girl or a live boy."  -- Louisiana governor Edwin Edwards before
>                               1984 governor's race.
> ------------------------------------
> Eric Green {akgua,ut-sally}!usl!elg
>            (Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509)

The C64C comes with disk based GEOS (one side), and disk based QuantumLink
(the other side).  And I think they're including one other disk, though I
don't know what it is.  The list price is indeed up around $100.00, though
I'd expect the selling price to be up considerably less.  The PCB is the
same used in later C64s, which was a substantial quality improvement over
the first C64 PCB, and I think they have an even newer one scheduled to go
into the C64C before too long.  No differences to the user, except maybe
fewer trips to the repair shop.

--
Dave Haynie    {caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

   A quote usually goes here, but its currently being rennovated.

	These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be yours too.