[net.micro.cbm] Consumer warning: DON'T BUY 6470 MODEM!!!

elg@usl.UUCP (Eric Lee Green) (07/08/86)

In article <1730@udenva.UUCP> awinterb@udenva.UUCP (Art Winterbauer) writes:
>I'm trying to decide whether I
>should buy an Anchor 6470 300/1200
>baud modem or the Commodore 1670
>300/1200 baud modem (I think the
>model numbers are correct).

WARNING! DO NOT BUY THE 6470 MODEM! NO TERMINAL PROGRAMS WORK WITH IT
BECAUSE IT USES A VERY NONSTANDARD HARDWARE INTERFACE AND ANCHOR
REFUSES TO RELEASE INFORMATION ON HOW TO INTERFACE TO IT! SEE THE
CONSUMER SUGGESTION BOARD ON Q-LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION.

The 1670 modem is a decent semi-Hayes compatible modem. My only
complaint is that it doesn't implement most of the Hayes control
signals, so that if you're running a BBS, the only way you can have
the BBS hang up (for example, if the user has been idle for 5 minutes
or runs out of time) is to keep printing "+++" to the modem every 5-10
seconds. However, considering it's $200 less than a Hayes, I'm willing
to live with that. In fact, I've got one plugged into the back of my
computer right now. As for terminal emulators, it comes with a VT52
terminal emulator for the 64 and a VT100 emulator for the 128.
However, there are many useable terminal emulators out there... for
example, I am writing this using a TVI910 emulator written by a
friend.

--
--------Mandatory quote:------------
"The only way I can lose this election is if I'm caught in bed with a