[net.micro.cbm] C128 CP/M program "C1571"

prindle@nadc (06/30/86)

From: prindle@NADC

One very popular, and very handy, CP/M utility for the 128 is Von Ertwine's
"C1571", which promises and delivers accelerated writes to 1571 disk files by
eliminating a redundant verify done by the CP/M BIOS after each disk sector
write (redundant in the sense that the 1571 already is doing an internal
verify anyway).  Consequently, I was tempted to execute this in my PROFILE.SUB
at boot up.

However, I just noticed an undesirable, and somewhat unexplainable, side effect
of this program: once it has been run against a drive, that drive will no longer
read MFM formatted diskettes (well, I tried IBM, OSBORNE, and KAYPRO IV, and
they all failed).  The system just hangs after a sector or two have been read,
and the keyboard scan stops (no more keyclicks); a reboot is necessary.  I hope
this can be fixed and the program will be re-issued along with the "new-new-new"
CP/M 3.0 release which has been announced.

Frank Prindle
Prindle@NADC.arpa

fred@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Fred Bowen) (07/09/86)

> From: prindle@NADC
>
> One very popular, and very handy, CP/M utility for the 128 is Von Ertwine's
> "C1571", which promises and delivers accelerated writes to 1571 disk files by
> eliminating a redundant verify done by the CP/M BIOS after each disk sector
> write (redundant in the sense that the 1571 already is doing an internal
> verify anyway).  Consequently, I was tempted to execute this in my PROFILE.SUB
> at boot up.

Partly correct.  The BIOS does not perform any verifies- it is (and always
has been) the 1571's job to do this.  The speed-up comes from the elimination of
most of the drive's retrys-on-error.  C1571 does not alter the BIOS.

> However, I just noticed an undesirable, and somewhat unexplainable, side effect
> of this program: once it has been run against a drive, that drive will no longer
> read MFM formatted diskettes (well, I tried IBM, OSBORNE, and KAYPRO IV, and
> they all failed).  The system just hangs after a sector or two have been read,
> and the keyboard scan stops (no more keyclicks); a reboot is necessary.  I hope
> this can be fixed and the program will be re-issued along with the "new-new-new"
> CP/M 3.0 release which has been announced.
>
> Frank Prindle
> Prindle@NADC.arpa

The first releases of C1571 were a kludge that did eclipse CP/M's MFM
capability.  The culprit was a bit of 'patch' code that was placed over the
MFM wedges in the 1571 DOS-  undesirable indeed.  The latest releases have
in fact corrected this.  Versions of this updated utility are available via
Compuserve.  I am trying to confirm that the latest version is also on the
current CP/M release (who knows what all falls through the cracks these days!).
--
Fred Bowen			uucp:	{ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!fred
				arpa:	cbmvax!fred@seismo.CSS.GOV

Commodore Electronics, Ltd.,  1200 Wilson Drive,  West Chester,  PA,  19380

alford@ecsvax.UUCP (Ross Alford) (07/11/86)

In article <501@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) writes:
>The first releases of C1571 were a kludge that did eclipse CP/M's MFM
>capability.  The culprit was a bit of 'patch' code that was placed over the
>MFM wedges in the 1571 DOS-  undesirable indeed.  The latest releases have
>in fact corrected this.  Versions of this updated utility are available via
>Compuserve....
 ----------

Are you sure about this?  I just downloaded the C1571 utility from Compuserve,
in the special C128 CPM updates area, on or about 1 July.  The version I
got shows the same behavior described by Frank Prindle...it causes
everything to lock up just after pressing return after the KayPro IV
message is displayed.  At the same time, I downloaded the NEWSYS.COM
(or whatever it's called) program, and discovered to my disappointment
that it is still the 6 December 1985 version, despite the fact that I
am sure I recall that someone from cbmvax announced that a new, 'final'
release of CP/M is available a short while ago.  On that note, how *will*
that release be distributed?  It would be nice if you could update the
files on CIS.

Ross Alford
   ...mcnc!ecsvax!alford

fred@cbmvax.UUCP (07/11/86)

> In article <501@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> fred@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Bowen) writes:
> >Versions of this updated utility are available via Compuserve...
>  ----------------------------------------------------------------

> Are you sure about this?  I just downloaded the C1571 utility from Compuserve,
> in the special C128 CPM updates area, on or about 1 July.  The version I
> got shows the same behavior described by Frank Prindle...it causes
> everything to lock up just after pressing return after the KayPro IV
> message is displayed.  At the same time, I downloaded the NEWSYS.COM
> (or whatever it's called) program, and discovered to my disappointment
> that it is still the 6 December 1985 version, despite the fact that I.....
>
> Ross Alford
>    ...mcnc!ecsvax!alford

Sorry for the confusion- but we are both right.  There are TWO areas on CIS
where 'update' 128 CP/M material was placed, and you found the wrong one. The
honest-to-gosh latest material is in the CPM SIG (area 3 I think).  The latest
C1571.COM displays a date of 24FEB86, and is the one of which I spoke.  I have
not personally been on Compuserve for a long time- but will try to straighten
out the differences if I can...

The 06DEC85 and 08DEC85 versions of CP/M are virtually identical, and they
*do* represent the lastest released versions of CP/M.  NEWSYS.COM will create
the 06DEC85 version for you- there is no other version of NEWSYS.COM, and
I do not see any more changes at this time.  Of course there is the option
of getting the latest CP/M system via the mail-in card from the manual...