[net.micro.cbm] true ascii

rlneal@ihlpl.UUCP (Neal) (06/27/86)

I don't normally read this net, but I thought there might be
someone on this net might be able to help me.  A friend has
a Commodore 64 and I have a PC and we would like to transmit
data & text files between the two.  Well, mainly from the C64
to the PC.  We have been able to get them to talk to each
other through modems, but the files are garbled.  It appears
that we need to convert the C64 ASCII files to "true ASCII"
before transmission.  I believe that Commodore's ASCII is
slightly different.  Is this correct?  Is there anyone that
can help with this situation?

                                     -- R.L. Neal IH 6D439
-->standard disclaimer here<--          AT&T ISL
                                        ihlpl!rlneal

grwalter@watmath.UUCP (Fred Walter) (06/30/86)

In article <1041@ihlpl.UUCP> rlneal@ihlpl.UUCP (Neal) writes:
>I believe that Commodore's ASCII is
>slightly different.  Is this correct?

Yes. In Commodore ASCII the letters "abcdef...xyz" have the
ASCII values 65, 66, 67, ..., 90, and the letters "ABD...XYZ"
have the values 193, 194, ..., 218 (ie. the values for the
lowercase letters plus 128).

In "normal" ASCII the uppercase letters "ABC...XYZ" have the
codes 65, ..., 90, and the lowercase letters "abc...xyz" have
the codes 97, ..., 122.

All you need to do is write a routine that will convert the Commodore
ASCII to the normal ASCII, keeping in mind there may be other
characters in Commodore ASCII that don't have the normal ASCII codes.

					fred

UUCP  : {allegra|clyde|linus|decvax|utzoo|ihnp4}!watmath!grwalter
CSNET : grwalter%watmath@waterloo.csnet
ARPA  : grwalter%watmath%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

heins@isucs1.UUCP (07/04/86)

   I have had to port BASIC source code from a C64 to an Apple, (in fact
I'm working on porting "Masterdisk" right now...)  The only way I was ever
able to get it to work was with a terminal program that had built in routines
to convert from non-standard CBM ASCII to standard ASCII I could read with
computers from the rest of the world.  I also had no end of problems with the
1600 VICMODEM, apparently it refuses to work properly with any phones but the
old rotary dial desk style units...  The author of the C64 version of the
Masterdisk program also had his VICMODEM 1600 die an infant death.  A borrowed
1600 was only marginally usable.  Next time we will borrow a Anchor Automations
6470 1200bps unit when we need to port code...

					Lee Heins
					{umn-cs, okstate, csu-cs}!isucs1!heins

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine alone...

porter@cbmvax.UUCP (07/12/86)

You were having trouble with the 1600 VICMODEM??? and now recommend
an Anchor 6470???  Guess who made the VICMODEMs for Commodore?

You guessed it: Anchor Automation!

Also....good luck trying to get a 6470 to work with your 128.  It
doesn't.  They came out with a "fixed" version called the 6480,
but it is still not Hayes compatible, and hence will never work
with any terminal program except the one that is supplied with
their modem.

If you are looking for a hayes compatible modem for you 64/128
that works with ANY terminal program, you need a Commodore 1670
which IS NOT made by Anchor.

Jeff Porter
Commodore Engineering

(I could be biased, so ask others)