[net.micro.cbm] C power questions

etl@danews.UUCP (Eugene T. Levine) (06/25/86)

I've just purchased the C power package for the 64 and I've got a few
questions.  Where's the #@! is the source code?  At least the source for the
non-complier items, such as the libraries and the examples like "shapes.sh".

In addition have any interesting items or sources for items been mentioned
here.  And if so would any of you that saved them email copies to me.

And lastly if any of you have written any tidbits for the complier and
would like to share your knowledge, I and probably others would be interested.

					Thanks in advance,

					E. T. Levine
					...!ihnp4!cbosgd!cbsck!etl

dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (07/01/86)

In article <144@danews.UUCP>, etl@danews.UUCP (Eugene T. Levine) writes:
> I've just purchased the C power package for the 64 and I've got a few
> questions.  Where's the #@! is the source code?  At least the source for the
> non-complier items, such as the libraries and the examples like "shapes.sh".

What you see is what you get. There isn't any source code for the library
routines. Besides, most (if not all) of them are written in assembler.

As far as the "shapes" program is concerned, that was written by
Brian Hilchie's (the C-Power author) brother. His brother apearently
doesn't want to part with the source to the graphics routines.
                               Dave Lowrey

"So it goes, so it goes, so it goes, so it goes. But where it's
 going, nobody knows"   [Nick Lowe]
                                ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]

dean@hyper.UUCP (Dean Gahlon) (07/01/86)

> I've just purchased the C power package for the 64 and I've got a few
> questions.  Where's the #@! is the source code?  At least the source for the
> non-complier items, such as the libraries and the examples like "shapes.sh".
>
> In addition have any interesting items or sources for items been mentioned
> here.  And if so would any of you that saved them email copies to me.
>
> And lastly if any of you have written any tidbits for the complier and
> would like to share your knowledge, I and probably others would be interested.
>

> 					Thanks in advance,
>
> 					E. T. Levine
> 					...!ihnp4!cbosgd!cbsck!etl

[Give me your poor, your tired, your line-eaters...]
There doesn't seem to *be* any source for shapes.sh. It's possible to download
*a* source for it from their bulletin board (which has some very good stuff,
by the way (more later in this message)), but that source seems to assume the
existence of some graphics libraries, which don't seem to exist on said
bulletin board or anywhere else that I know of.
	One of the neat things available on their bulletin board is an
assembler that produces object code suitable for linking with C-produced
object code. If you have a modem, I'd check it out (after 11 PM, since
it's probably long distance).
	Oh, yes; another question that nobody seems able to answer is what
the 'a' and 's' options on the compiler itself do. From a disassembly of the
compiler, it looks like they're stored in some odd location, but what's done
with them then, I don't know, and nobody else seems to, either.

rayz@csustan.UUCP (R. L. Zarling) (07/03/86)

In article <144@danews.UUCP> etl@danews.UUCP (Eugene T. Levine) writes:
>I've just purchased the C power package for the 64 and I've got a few
>questions.  Where's the #@! is the source code?  At least the source for the
>non-complier items, such as the libraries and the examples like "shapes.sh".

Alas, the libraries are in machine language and no source is available.
A fellow named Mark Rinfret has written a disassembler, if you care to go
to the trouble...  It is available on the C-Power bulletin board,
(416) 276-6811 (300-1200 baud, 24 hrs)

>In addition have any interesting items or sources for items been mentioned
>here.  And if so would any of you that saved them email copies to me.
>
>And lastly if any of you have written any tidbits for the complier and
>would like to share your knowledge, I and probably others would be interested.

There are a number of user-written applications on the above mentioned
board, including a relocating, linking assembler written in C for the C-64
(yes, it generates C-Power compatible object).

rayz@csustan.UUCP (R. L. Zarling) (07/04/86)

In article <60@hyper.UUCP> dean@hyper.UUCP (Dean Gahlon) writes:
>	One of the neat things available on their bulletin board is an
>assembler that produces object code suitable for linking with C-produced
>object code. If you have a modem, I'd check it out (after 11 PM, since
>it's probably long distance).

Thanks for the compliment; Mark Rinfret and I wrote it.  If you want to
save long distance charges, send me a disk and postpaid mailer:
Ray Zarling / Dept. Comp. Sci. / CSU Stanislaus / Turlock, CA 95380

>	Oh, yes; another question that nobody seems able to answer is what
>the 'a' and 's' options on the compiler itself do. From a disassembly of the
>compiler, it looks like they're stored in some odd location, but what's done
>with them then, I don't know, and nobody else seems to, either.

The compiler, by default, assigns storage class "register" to any variables
which are declared without an explicit storage class.  This, of course, is
non-standard behavior, but is justified (?) by the fact that the C64 needs
all the help it can get in terms of code compactness and runtime speed.
The -a option changes this, so the compiler produces "auto" storage class
by default (standard C), and -s is for "static".

jay@garfield.UUCP (07/09/86)

In article <113@csustan.UUCP> rayz@csustan.UUCP (R. L. Zarling) writes:
>Alas, the libraries are in machine language and no source is available.
>A fellow named Mark Rinfret has written a disassembler, if you care to go
>to the trouble...  It is available on the C-Power bulletin board,
>(416) 276-6811 (300-1200 baud, 24 hrs)
>>
>There are a number of user-written applications on the above mentioned
>board, including a relocating, linking assembler written in C for the C-64
>(yes, it generates C-Power compatible object).

Regarding the C-Power bbs, could anyone that has logged on to the
system please post a list of the programs available on it. And also
whether they are in source or binary form. To download what protocol
is used etc. Does anyone know the type of machine the bbs runs on.

thank-you

rayz@csustan.UUCP (07/15/86)

In article <1379@garfield.UUCP> jay@garfield.UUCP (Jay Kumarasingam) writes:
>Regarding the C-Power bbs, could anyone that has logged on to the
>system please post a list of the programs available on it. And also
>whether they are in source or binary form. To download what protocol
>is used etc. Does anyone know the type of machine the bbs runs on.

The C-Power bbs (416) 276-6811 uses the "new" Punter protocol for up/downloads.
Sorry, I don't know what machine they use.  The bbs runs at 300/1200 baud,
24 hrs per day.

The two download directories of interest to C-Power users are 0 (user
contributions) and 2 (system updates).  Directories as of 7/15 follow:

Directory 0: Download

File Name        Size    Date Uploaded
---------        ----    -------------
SPEED FORMAT.C   4         03-May-86
- SPEEDS UP FORMAT OF A DISK

SPRITEDEMO.C     29.5      23-Apr-86
- DEMONSTRATION OF SPRITES WITH CPOWER

YAD.C            6         20-Apr-86
- YET ANOTHER DIRECTORY PROGRAM

CHASE.C          27        17-Apr-86
- SOURCE FOR CHASE-S

CHASE-S          57        17-Apr-86
- A FAST GAME IN "C"

OPENFILE.C       4         05-Feb-86
- FOR V2.0 ASSEMBLER

ASSMDOC.FO       44        05-Feb-86
- DOCS FOR V2.0 ASSEMBLER

ASSM.SH          128       05-Feb-86
- C ASSEMBLER V2.0

ASSM.C           1         05-Feb-86
- S

ASSM.README      8         05-Feb-86
- V2.0 ASSEMBLER

OPENFILE.O       3         05-Feb-86
- SUPPORT FOR V2.0 ASSEMBLER

ASSM5.C          27        05-Feb-86
- END .SRC ASSEMBLER V2.0

ASSM4.C          29        05-Feb-86
- MORE .SRC

ASSM3.C          37        05-Feb-86
- MORE .SRC

ASSM2.C          24        05-Feb-86
- MORE .SRC

ASSM1.C          34        05-Feb-86
- ASSEMBLER.SRC

ASSM0.C          22        05-Feb-86
- ASSEMBLER .SRC

ASSM.D2          14        05-Feb-86
- FOR V2.0 ASSEMBLER

ASSM.D1          7         05-Feb-86
- FOR V2.0 ASSEMB5

TERM.C1/128      7.5       02-Feb-86
- M/L FOR TERMINAL.C1/128

TERMINAL.C1/128  9         02-Feb-86
- PUNTER TERMINAL 128 MODE 40/80 COL.

FREAD.OBJ        1         01-Feb-86
- RETURNS TRUE COUNT (RAY ZARLING)

FREAD.A          5.5       01-Feb-86
- MODIFIED FREAD - RETURNS TRUE COUNT

BINCMP.C         15.5      01-Feb-86
- BNRY FILE CMPR (NEED NEW FREAD.OBJ)

SPLIT.C          19.5      30-Jan-86
- BRKS UP SEQ FILES / BYTE/LINE LIMITS

GRAFPAK.DOC      13        16-Jan-86
- DOCUMENTATION FOR GRAFPAK

RSTATUS          1         06-Jan-86
- ENABLES RELATIVE FILE USE

ASSM2.0.SH       116       04-Jan-86
- REVISED C POWER ASSEMBLER

GDRIVER.C        11        29-Jan-85
- DRIVER FOR GRAFPAK ROUTINES

GRAFPAK.H        4         29-Jan-85
- GRAPHICS PACKAGE INCLUDE FILE

GRAFPAK2.C       6.5       29-Jan-85
- GRAPHICS PACKAGE - PART 2

GRAFPAK1.C       51.5      29-Jan-85
- GRAPHICS PACKAGE - PART 1

GRAFPAK0.C       2         29-Jan-85
- GRAPHICS PACKAGE -DATA SEGMENT

PRINTC.C         13.5      19-Jan-85
- PRINT C W ALL CHARS (801)

COPYFILES.C      12        ??-???-??
- COPY FILES

SED.C            44.5      24-Aug-85
- FULL SCREEN DISK SECTOR EDITOR

FORMAT.DOC       7.5       07-Aug-85
- QUICK SUMMARY OF FORMAT COMMANDS

CRUDETERM.C      10.5      25-Jun-85
- SIMPLE RS232 TERMINAL 300/1200

LP.DOC           4         23-Jun-85
- DOC FOR LP.C USE ED TO VIEW

CBMTASC.H        4.5       23-Jun-85
- HEADER FILE FOR LP.C

LP.C             7.5       23-Jun-85
- PRINT FILES TO ASCII PRINTER

RA.SH            56.5      01-Jun-85
- COMPILED CODE FOR RA (NEEDS SHELL)

RAD1.C           21.5      01-Jun-85
- THIRD FILE FOR RA

RA2.C            31        01-Jun-85
- SECOND FILE FOR RA

RA1.C            23.5      01-Jun-85
- FIRST FILE FOR RA

RA.H             2.5       01-Jun-85
- INCLUDE FILE FOR RA

RA.DOC           33.5      31-May-85
- DOCUMENTATION FOR RA

RA.README        3         31-May-85
- USUAL DISCLAIMER FOR FILES

SHAPES.C         4         28-May-85
- C SOURCE FOR SHAPES.SH

SHAPES.SH        27        28-May-85
- DRAWS RANDOM FILLED SHAPES

LIB.C            18        09-May-85
- LIBRARY MAKER

ED.DOC           6.5       ??-???-??
- USE FORMAT FIRST

25993 Blocks Free

Directory 2: C Power Updates

File Name        Size    Date Uploaded
---------        ----    -------------
FREXP.OBJ        1.5       18-Jun-85
- FIXED MODF() FUNCTION

DIR.H            2.5       18-Jun-85
- FIXED DIRECTORY HEADER FILE

CED.SH           72        28-May-85
- VERSION 2.5

ED.SH            31        28-May-85
- VERSION 2.5

CC.SH            ??        ??-???-??
- VERSION 2.5

CSTART.OBJ       4         22-Sep-85
- FIXES GARY WESTLAKE'S PROBLEM

TRIM.SH          65        17-Sep-85
- OBJECT CODE IMPROVER

?????.OBJ        .5        17-Sep-85
- NEW

LOCALDEFS.OBJ    .5        17-Sep-85
- NEW

SYSLIB2.L        9         17-Sep-85
- NEW

SYSLIB.L         8         17-Sep-85
- NEW

SHELL            15        17-Sep-85
- NEW

TRANSLATOR       54        17-Sep-85
- NEW

25993 Blocks Free

(Sorry, after capturing these I found a few instances of line noise;
replaced them by '?'.  I think the list is still very usable.)

cbcscmst@cs1.UUCP (Michael Steven Temkin) (07/22/86)

In article <1379@garfield.UUCP>, jay@garfield.UUCP writes:

> Regarding the C-Power bbs, could anyone that has logged on to the
> system please post a list of the programs available on it. And also
> whether they are in source or binary form. To download what protocol
> is used etc. Does anyone know the type of machine the bbs runs on.
>
> thank-you

I live in the L.A. area and can never seem to get a decent
phone connection to the BBS.  Is there someone out there that has downloaded
from the bbs before and I can get copies of the software from them?

As always any help is appreciated.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

			Mike Temkin
			{psivax,ttidca,inhp4}!csun!cs1!cbcscmst

Ours is not to question why...or is it?

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

dean@hyper.UUCP (Dean Gahlon) (07/24/86)

> In article <1379@garfield.UUCP>, jay@garfield.UUCP writes:
> >
> > Regarding the C-Power bbs, could anyone that has logged on to the
> > system please post a list of the programs available on it. And also
> > whether they are in source or binary form. To download what protocol
> > is used etc. Does anyone know the type of machine the bbs runs on.
> >
> > thank-you
>
> I live in the L.A. area and can never seem to get a decent
> phone connection to the BBS.  Is there someone out there that has downloaded
> from the bbs before and I can get copies of the software from them?
>
> As always any help is appreciated.
>
> .-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
>
> 			Mike Temkin
> 			{psivax,ttidca,inhp4}!csun!cs1!cbcscmst
>

> Ours is not to question why...or is it?
>
> .-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

I have been able to download files from it (although only at 300 baud -- the
last time I tried at 1200, the lines were far too noisy). The BBS uses
Punter protocol (like pretty much everything else that's Commodore-specific).
There are both sources and binaries available. I don't have a list here with
me of what is available, but (from memory) a few of the better ones include
an assembler which generates relocatables that can be linked with the C-power
linker, a disassembler for such relocatables, and a graphics library.
	I can't help you with anything like mailing you the software, since
my C-64 can't be connected to this system without going through more trouble
that I care to deal with.

	So many wheels, so little time...