[net.micro.cbm] C power

ugblee@sunybcs.UUCP (Bong Lee) (07/25/86)

About C power, who is the manufacturer? Is it worth? Is there any better
C compiler for 64 and 128?

rayz@csustan.UUCP (R. L. Zarling) (07/27/86)

In article <505@sunybcs.UUCP> ugblee@gort.UUCP (Daniel Lee) writes:
>About C power, who is the manufacturer? Is it worth? Is there any better
>C compiler for 64 and 128?

The manufacturer is Pro-Line Software, Ltd. (755 The Queensway East, Unit 8,
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L4Y 4C5).  To my knowledge, there is only
one other C compiler for the 64/128, by Abacus.  C-Power is vastly superior
in terms of ease of use and quality of generated code.

hsgj@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Dan Green) (07/29/86)

In article <121@csustan.UUCP> rayz@csustan.UUCP (R. L. Zarling) writes:
>In article <505@sunybcs.UUCP> ugblee@gort.UUCP (Daniel Lee) writes:
>>About C power, who is the manufacturer? Is it worth? Is there any better
>>C compiler for 64 and 128?
>
>The manufacturer is Pro-Line Software, Ltd. (755 The Queensway East, Unit 8,
>Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L4Y 4C5).  To my knowledge, there is only
>one other C compiler for the 64/128, by Abacus.  C-Power is vastly superior
>in terms of ease of use and quality of generated code.

I saw an add in a magazine for MANX C for the 6502 processor.  Specifically in
the add copy they mentioned the Commodore 64.  I have PC (8086) Manx C and
the package includes grep, make, and a very fast, tight compiler.  I would
assume the same tools would be included with the 6502 version.  Unfortunately,
the commerical version of Manx (the one with all the goodes) is quite
expensive; about $425 dollars I think.  Let's see, now - how many C-64's could
you buy for $425... :-)
-- Dan Green
--
ARPA:  hsgj%vax2.ccs.cornell.edu@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu
UUCP:  ihnp4!cornell!batcomputer!hsgj   BITNET:  hsgj@cornella

elg@usl.UUCP (08/01/86)

In article <765@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> hsgj@batcomputer.UUCP (Dan Green) writes:
>I saw an add in a magazine for MANX C for the 6502 processor.  Specifically in
>the add copy they mentioned the Commodore 64.  I have PC (8086) Manx C and
>the package includes grep, make, and a very fast, tight compiler.  I would
>assume the same tools would be included with the 6502 version.  Unfortunately,
>the commerical version of Manx (the one with all the goodes) is quite
>expensive; about $425 dollars I think.  Let's see, now - how many C-64's could
>you buy for $425... :-)
>-- Dan Green
>--
>ARPA:  hsgj%vax2.ccs.cornell.edu@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu
>UUCP:  ihnp4!cornell!batcomputer!hsgj   BITNET:  hsgj@cornella

The above compiler only runs on the Apple. Manx advertised a version
for the C-64, a long time ago, but couldn't deliver. Probably because
of the brain damaged memory layout (4k chunk used for i/o, 8k for the
OS, etc) the amazingly crude 1541 drive (that little bugger has been
driving me crazy lately, it refuses to handle relative files in a
rational manner!) and the crude nature of the Kernal. They do,
however, sell a C-64 cross compiler, which runs on a "real" computer
producing code for your 64.  Sounds like a drag... edit, compile,
link, download to c64, edit, compile, link.......

Oh well, maybe someday we can all afford Amigas :-).

--
-- Computing from the Bayous, --
      Eric Green {akgua,ut-sally}!usl!elg