[net.micro.cbm] 1600 modem questions

kjg@psuecl.BITNET (07/28/86)

     I am presently the owner of a 64/128 and a 1600 modem.  I have the
peripheral cabling that allows me to connect to a phone directly without
going through the handset (the original problem with this modem).  My
question is - does anyone know of any software available to allow upload/
download or terminal emulation on the 1600.  Also is the 1600 capable of
being used with the c128 in the 128 mode.  At the present time I don`t
have any software for the c128 mode for this modem so I can`t test to
see if it works.  Any answers or software would be greatly appreciated.

I don`t know the proper procedure on netnews to get a reply but any
answers on this section will be read and answered.

QUOTE OF THE DAY --- "Working is good enough" Adam Osborne -1984

Thanks ken goodnow

kjg@psuecl.BITNET (07/28/86)

qqqqqqqqqqqz

qz

porter@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Jeff Porter) (07/31/86)

>      I am presently the owner of a 64/128 and a 1600 modem.  I have the
> peripheral cabling that allows me to connect to a phone directly without
> going through the handset (the original problem with this modem).  My
> question is - does anyone know of any software available to allow upload/
> download or terminal emulation on the 1600.  Also is the 1600 capable of
> being used with the c128 in the 128 mode.  At the present time I don`t
> have any software for the c128 mode for this modem so I can`t test to
> see if it works.  Any answers or software would be greatly appreciated.

There is a program called MicroVT on many of the services (compuserve,
q-link, etc) that give you an 80 column terminal program for your 128
and will work with the 1600 modem.

Jeff Porter
Commodore Engineering

elg@usl.UUCP (Eric Lee Green) (08/04/86)

In article <560@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> porter@cbmvax.UUCP writes:

>>      I am presently the owner of a 64/128 and a 1600 modem.  I have the
>> peripheral cabling that allows me to connect to a phone directly without
>> going through the handset (the original problem with this modem).  My
>> question is - does anyone know of any software available to allow upload/
>> download or terminal emulation on the 1600.  Also is the 1600 capable of
>> being used with the c128 in the 128 mode.  At the present time I don`t
>> have any software for the c128 mode for this modem so I can`t test to
>> see if it works.  Any answers or software would be greatly appreciated.

The original message got garbaged, so I didn't see it (hey, there
really IS a line-eater!).  Anyhow: any terminal program that will work
with the 1650 or 1660 will work with the 1600 -- IF you have a
telephone connected to the same line. The only thing that the 1600
won't do is auto-dial, you'll have to do that yourself when the
program thinks that it is auto-dialing your modem.  The secret is,
when the 1660 dials, hold the telephone handset up to the monitor
speaker. And when the 1650 dials, dial the number manually with your
telephone. The on-offhook protocol is the only difference between
these modems In fact, I've used many 1650 terminal programs with the
1660, just by telling it I want the modem offhook when I want the
modem onhook and vice-versa, and using the telephone to dial.

Always willing to answer telecommunications questions (I've spent the
last 2 years fighting the idiosyncracies of almost every modem on the
market)...

  Eric

---
LBJ, LBJ, how many jokes did you tell today?  (YOW!)
-----
-- Computing from the Bayous, --
      Eric Green {akgua,ut-sally}!usl!elg
         (Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509)