[net.micro.cbm] Another 1600 modem question

kjg@psuecl.BITNET (07/31/86)

     Jeff, thanks for the answer but two more questions.  First, what
about the c64?  Is there any program to allow upload and download for
the c64.  Is there anyway to autodial on the 1600 if I am using the
adapter cable for this modem which allows me to use the wall plug instead
of the handset plug?  The last question is how can I get an original copy
of some upload/download software?  The microvt sounds good but I can't
download it without a download program to start with!
     That was three questions but Oh Well!

                thanks
                ken goodnow

elg@usl.UUCP (Eric Lee Green) (08/04/86)

In article <330@PSUECL> kjg@psuecl.BITNET writes:

>     Jeff, thanks for the answer but two more questions.  First, what
>about the c64?  Is there any program to allow upload and download for
>the c64.  Is there anyway to autodial on the 1600 if I am using the
>adapter cable for this modem which allows me to use the wall plug instead
>of the handset plug?  The last question is how can I get an original copy
>of some upload/download software?  The microvt sounds good but I can't
>download it without a download program to start with!
>     That was three questions but Oh Well!

There is no way to autodial on a 1600. It has no on/offhook relay
(unless you added one!).

You can use any up/download program intended for the 1650 or 1660,
thru the tricks I mentioned before (using the phone to dial when the
program thinks it is auto-dialing).

For your very first up/downloading program, I suggest your local
Commodore club, or the electronic bulletin board systems. Back when I
got my modem, in the Dark Ages before computer clubs, I bought a
terminal program from a software store that also ran a BBS system, and
got the number for all the other local boards from that system. I
posted "Does anybody have a copy of Midwestterm or Bayou Term" (two
popular programs of that era), and lo and behold, one of the BBS users
lives right down the street from me... zip on over with disk in hand,
copy the disk, presto, the rest follows from there (the local BBS's
usually have many public domain terminal programs, but you need a
downloading terminal program to download them!).

  Eric Green
     Bayou Telecommunications Software's ML hacker, USL student.

(disclaimer: USL doesn't know what I'm saying)
--
-- Computing from the Bayous, --
      Eric Green {akgua,ut-sally}!usl!elg