[net.micro.cbm] 128 Monitor & 64 Printer questions

ahr@burdvax.UUCP (Allan Rabenau) (07/28/86)

1. My son is about to purchase a 128 and 1571 disk.  He is unsure regarding
what type of monitor (RGB or Composite) to buy.  Can anyone give us some
guidance?  Also, does anyone have any brand recommendations or caveats?

2. We have a C64, with a Gorilla Banana printer :-) , its works well (rather
noisy), but when using Micorsoft Multiplan, I cannot get the alphas to
print other than lower case.  Does anyone have a similar configuration who
can offer help?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

porter@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Jeff Porter) (07/31/86)

> 1. My son is about to purchase a 128 and 1571 disk.  He is unsure regarding
> what type of monitor (RGB or Composite) to buy.  Can anyone give us some
> guidance?  Also, does anyone have any brand recommendations or caveats?

If you want to get 80 columns out of your 128, you are going to have
to buy an RGBI monitor (Commodore 1902 or equivalent).

If you only care about monochrome 80 columns, you might try hooking
up a monochrome composite monitor to pin 7 of the RGBI connector.
Pins 1 and 2 are ground.

Jeff Porter
Commodore Engineering

grwalter@watmath.UUCP (Fred Walter) (08/01/86)

In article <559@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> porter@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Jeff Porter) writes:
>If you want to get 80 columns out of your 128, you are going to have
>to buy an RGBI monitor (Commodore 1902 or equivalent).
>
>If you only care about monochrome 80 columns, you might try hooking
>up a monochrome composite monitor to pin 7 of the RGBI connector.
>Pins 1 and 2 are ground.
>
>Jeff Porter
>Commodore Engineering

You can get 80 columns (monochrome but with a grey scale) out of a color
composite monitor (such as a 1702) by connecting your C128 to the jack
on the front of the monitor that is used for the video signal. (You would
use pin 7 and a ground pin from the RGBI connector for this).

Mind you, it definitely is not as good as a real RGB or monochrome
composite monitor, but it is usable, and if one already has a 1702 (or
equivalent) one could see if the 80 columns were acceptable and decide for
themselves if the 500+ for a real RBG is worth it.

				fred

ugbowen@sunybcs.UUCP (Devon Bowen) (08/10/86)

In article <2588@burdvax.UUCP>, ahr@burdvax.UUCP (Allan Rabenau) writes:

> 1. My son is about to purchase a 128 and 1571 disk.  He is unsure regarding
> what type of monitor (RGB or Composite) to buy.  Can anyone give us some
> guidance?  Also, does anyone have any brand recommendations or caveats?

RGB is really expensive. I guess the 1902 is running at about $320 now.
I bought a mono-chrome monitor and a color composite. Now I can use the
color for the composite signal (or a TV signal - I've got it doubling as
a color TV for my room) and the mono-chrome for 80 column work. So far,
it's working out great. You can get a mono-chrome for about $80 and a
color composite for about $150. That's only $230 total and you've always
got a backup monitor!!! I think it beats the 1902 any day. Oh, yeah, you
can also use them simultaneously so you can watch graphics on the color
and type the commands on the mono-chrome.

                                 Devon Bowen
                                 University of Buffalo