[net.micro.cbm] 80 columns on the C-64

dfoley@ulowell.UUCP (the Aberration) (08/15/86)

This is my first posting to this net, so please pardon me bringing up what
may be an old subject.

My problem: I am ambitiously trying to write a terminal program for the
C-64, and have decided that it will be near useless without an 80-column
display. I am aware that there are several boards out to do this, but am
interested in a software-only solution. I would prefer to write my own, but
can't decide all that would be involved. Has anyone got any theories on
this? Please post responses, as my mailbox is kludgey.

Thanks in advance.
--
these opinions - this entity's extrapolation of reality

iyamwatiyam - an incarnation of the Aberration

"Between what is there, and what shouldn't be, lies the Aberration."

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (08/18/86)

> This is my first posting to this net, so please pardon me bringing up what
> may be an old subject.
>
> My problem: I am ambitiously trying to write a terminal program for the
> C-64, and have decided that it will be near useless without an 80-column
> display. I am aware that there are several boards out to do this, but am
> interested in a software-only solution. I would prefer to write my own, but
> can't decide all that would be involved. Has anyone got any theories on
> this? Please post responses, as my mailbox is kludgey.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> these opinions - this entity's extrapolation of reality
>
> iyamwatiyam - an incarnation of the Aberration
>
> "Between what is there, and what shouldn't be, lies the Aberration."

Its not very difficult to do a software 80 columns on the C64 using a high-res
screen.  There's a PD VT-52 program that does this, I believe Compute! had an
article on it awhile ago, and if that's not enough, I wrote some PROMAL code
a few years back that drives a software described 80 column display very
easily.  Let me know if you're interested in seeing the code, I might be able
to post it or send you a disk.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Dave Haynie    {caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

	"I gained nothing at all from Supreme Enlightenment, and
	 for that very reason it is called Supreme Enlightenment."
							-Gotama Buddha

	These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be yours too.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

elg@usl.UUCP (Eric Lee Green) (08/20/86)

In article <648@ulowell.UUCP> dfoley@ulowell.UUCP (the Aberration) writes:
>My problem: I am ambitiously trying to write a terminal program for the
>C-64, and have decided that it will be near useless without an 80-column
>display. I am aware that there are several boards out to do this, but am
>interested in a software-only solution. I would prefer to write my own, but
>can't decide all that would be involved. Has anyone got any theories on
>this? Please post responses, as my mailbox is kludgey.

Well, first thing you need to understand is how the C-64's hi-res
screen is laid out: as 8 bit by 8 byte squares (tat's right, the size
of a character!). To do pseudo-80-column, you just need a 4-bit-wide
font, and use the old and/or masking method to stuff it into the left
side or right side of that 8 by 8 square (depending on whether your 80
column "cursor" is on an odd or even number). The easy way to do this
is to have a double-defined font... that is, each character position
in the font is two 4-bit characters, one for each side of the 8-bit
character.

For more information, I posted the sources to JAFT (an 80 column
TVI910 emulator) to the net a couple of months ago. I'll mail a copy
to anybody who mails me $2.50 (I get disks real cheep because the
computer club I belong to buys them bulk-rate, but the mailer and
postage add up). I also have a PROMAL implementation that I wrote just
playing with the concept of software-emulated 80 columns... however, I
don't know what disk it's on (I have two disk boxes full of old
programs I've written that I need to sort through, clean up, and
catalog... but I so hate deleting things, I'm such a pack-rat...).
If I find the Promal implementation, I'll post it to the net.

--

      Eric Green {akgua,ut-sally}!usl!elg
        (Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509)

"The story so far:
 In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
 people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."