[net.micro.cbm] getting c64's repaired

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) (08/28/86)

Some time ago there was mention in this newsgroup of a repair
policy for C64's that went something like "send in your sick one
plus $50 (?) and we'll return it repaired or replaced."

1) Is this still valid?

2) If so, to whom and with how much buck$ do I send it?

3) Thank you very much.

keith
Keith Ericson  at TekLabs (resident factious factotum)
Tektronix, PO 500, MS 58-383         Beaverton OR 97077        (503)627-6042
uucp: [ucbvax|decvax|ihnp4|hplabs|(and_many_others)]!tektronix!tekgvs!keithe
CSnet: keithe%tekgvs@tektronix  ARPAnet: keithe%tekgvs%tektronix@csnet-relay

"Modern" version: keithe@tekgvs.tek.com

In article <1708@tekgvs.UUCP> keithe@tekgvs (Keith Ericson) writes:
>Some time ago there was mention in this newsgroup of a repair
>policy for C64's that went something like "send in your sick one
>plus $50 (?) and we'll return it repaired or replaced."
>
>Keith Ericson  at TekLabs (resident factious factotum)

The primary service for C64s and the like is through RCA service centers.
There is a number to call for additional information, but I don't have it
here at home - check with someplace currenly selling 64s for up-to-date
info.

There are also a number of places advertising Commodore repairs.  Check
out the Commodore related publications or 'The Computer Shopper'.

--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr

dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (09/03/86)

In article <681@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:

> The primary service for C64s and the like is through RCA service centers.
> There is a number to call for additional information, but I don't have it
> here at home - check with someplace currenly selling 64s for up-to-date
> info.
>
> There are also a number of places advertising Commodore repairs.  Check
> out the Commodore related publications or 'The Computer Shopper'.

Be sure to check prices ahead of time. I have had both my 64 and 1541
repaired, and both times, RCA gave me the most expensive "over the phone"rr
estimate.

It appears that RCA does "board swaps", and doesn't acyually fix YOUR
board.

 There are many independent "approved by Commodore" repair shops that
 charge alot less than RCA.
                               Dave Lowrey

"So it goes, so it goes, so it goes, so it goes. But where it's
 going, nobody knows"   [Nick Lowe]
                                ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]