[net.micro.cbm] 1670 modem

macdonald@author.DEC (Corporate User Publications) (11/06/85)

I just picked up a 1670 300/1200 baud Hayes compatible smartmodem for
the C128 for $160. It included three terminal programs, including
a VT52 emulator for the 64 featuring selectable 40/80 columns, a VT100
emulator for the 128, and a program called Commonsense for the 64.
The latter has all sorts of goodies like an editor, XMODEM and Compuserve
B transfer protocols.

The VT100 emulator has XMODEM and a 58K buffer, clock, and numerous
other features.

Commodore also supplies a card for free QuantumLink software, and free
time on QuantumLink (Commodore's Information Network). When you send in
the card, you also receive an updated version of the VT100 emulator
which corrects some bugs and adds full VT100 graphics capabilities

Looks like Commodore has their act together, about making sure the products
are right before shipping them.

Paul

srm@mtund.UUCP (Steve M) (09/18/86)

I posted this message a while back and didn't receive any
feedback. I am trying this again.
	I need some help in find out what signals are
available out of the 1670 modem and going into the 1670
modem. I have a C64 computer and I am tring to build a
modem similiar to the 1670 modem.
The prog. manual gives a discription of the user port
but some connections  are unassigned. Is there a book
available which can give me a better discription of
the user port? I am trying to figure out how the phone
number to be called is supplied to the 1670 along with
the off-hook signal, speed indication, and ring indication.
Please respond via email or on the net, as this info might
be useful to many other C64 users.
				Thanks alot,
				Steve M
				ihnp4!mtund!srm

porter@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Jeff Porter) (09/22/86)

> 	I need some help in find out what signals are
> available out of the 1670 modem and going into the 1670
> modem. I have a C64 computer and I am tring to build a
> modem similiar to the 1670 modem.
> The prog. manual gives a discription of the user port
> but some connections  are unassigned. Is there a book
> available which can give me a better discription of
> the user port? I am trying to figure out how the phone
> number to be called is supplied to the 1670 along with
> the off-hook signal, speed indication, and ring indication.
> Please respond via email or on the net, as this info might
> be useful to many other C64 users.
> 				Thanks alot,
> 				Steve M
> 				ihnp4!mtund!srm

The 1670 is a Hayes type modem, and hence the phone number
is transmitted to the modem via the TxD and RxD lines.
The Programmers Reference guide has a section on RS232
that should give you some info about what signals are what.
If the signals were not mentioned in the back of the 1670
manual, then they are not connected to the 1670.  Off-hook
is not available, neither is Speed Indicate, but Ring Indicate is.
Off hook and Speed Indicate are obviously available internally.
There is no standard place for these signals on the user port
however.  The back of the 1670 manual goes into how to detect
speed in software.  Your program should already be able to know
if it has told the 1670 to go off hook or not.

There are two 8049 microprocessors in the 1670 to interpret the
TxD and RxD data.

Hope this helps,
Jeff Porter
Commodore Engineering

bpm@homxb.UUCP (B.MAGNIN) (09/26/86)

Do any of you cbm gurus out there know if it is possible to
send a 250 ms "break" signal through the 1670 modem.  I'm
using the Common Sense and vt52-64 programs that were packaged with
the modem.  I noticed that the vt100-128 program for the
Commodore 128 is capable of sending a "break".  Is there a reason
this was not implemented in the C-64 software?

Q: Can anyone help me out?                     Byron Magnin
                                               AT&T Bell Labs
A: Sure.  Which way did you come in?           Holmdel, NJ

elg@usl.UUCP (Eric Lee Green) (09/26/86)

In article <784@mtund.UUCP> srm@mtund.UUCP (Steve M) writes:
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>
>	I need some help in find out what signals are
>available out of the 1670 modem and going into the 1670
>modem. I have a C64 computer and I am tring to build a
>modem similiar to the 1670 modem.
>the user port? I am trying to figure out how the phone
>number to be called is supplied to the 1670 along with
>the off-hook signal, speed indication, and ring indication.
>Please respond via email or on the net, as this info might
>be useful to many other C64 users.

The 1670 has no off-hook signal, speed indicator signal, or ring
indicator signal. All modem control is via Hayes Smartmodem-type
commands. For example, printing "ATH0" to the modem hangs it up, "ATA"
takes it off hook in answer mode, etc. When a person connects with the
1670, it prints "CONNECT" or "CONNECT 1200". If the modem answered to
get that connect, it prints the CONNECT or CONNECT 1200 in the old
baud rate and only then switches to the new baud rate, so that the
BBS program or software exchange knows what baud rate it's supposed to
be at and doesn't get out of sync. Finally, the modem will print RING
to the computer wwhen the phone is ringing, but usually you set it up
for the modem to answer by itself, and just look for a connect.

The only hardware signals used by the 1670, besides the power supply,
are  the recieve/transmit pair, and the carrier detect.
That's it. I've put a DTR signal onto my wish list -- I'd really like
to be able to hang up the modem by poking it off, as vs. printing "+++
ATH" to it inumerable times until it decides to hang up.

Note that the above is very BBS program oriented, since that is my
particular area of expertise.

Ciarcia (Byte) had an atricle on building a cheap 1200 baud modem, you
might want to look at that.
--

      Eric Green {akgua,ut-sally}!usl!elg
        (Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509)

" In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
 people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

porter@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Jeff Porter) (10/07/86)

> Do any of you cbm gurus out there know if it is possible to
> send a 250 ms "break" signal through the 1670 modem.  I'm
> using the Common Sense and vt52-64 programs that were packaged with
> the modem.  I noticed that the vt100-128 program for the
> Commodore 128 is capable of sending a "break".  Is there a reason
> this was not implemented in the C-64 software?

VT52 is a public domain program that I obtained the right to
include with the 1670 modem.  My guess is that you are talking
to the VAX at work (BTL) and you need to interrupt the flow of
things.  Try the DEL key (F7).  This worked for me back at BTL-IN.

As for Common Sense, I think it might be possible to create a
function key to slow the baud rate down REEEAALLL SSSLLLLOOOOWWW
and send a character that is low most of the time, then speed
things back up to the original speed.  This is how it is done
on the VT100 program.  This is kinda kludgy, but it works.

Jeff Porter
Commodore Engineering

eric@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Eric Lavitsky) (10/10/86)

Jeff - C64 Kermit can send a true break (250ms) signal, has the same
VT52 emulation in TERM.PLUS which Frank and I gave you to distribute
and not only that, has Kermit file transfer and is free! You can get
it from most local universities or user groups.

Eric
--
ARPA:	LAVITSKY@RUTGERS or LAVITSKY@RED.RUTGERS.EDU
UUCP:	...{ihnp4,pyrnj}!topaz!eric