[net.micro.cbm] Compatibility: 8000 series and C64

feldy@CS.UCLA.EDU (09/24/86)

I have access to a commodore business machine 8000 series computer system. It
will only be useful to me if it is compatible with the Commodore 64 and
has the same ports etc. Can anyone give me that information?

	Thanks

Bob Felderman
3732L Boelter Hall	         feldy@ats.ucla.edu
University of California    ...!{trwspp,sdcrdcf,ihnp4,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!feldy
Los Angeles, CA 90024
(213) 825-2841

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (09/25/86)

> I have access to a commodore business machine 8000 series computer system. It
> will only be useful to me if it is compatible with the Commodore 64 and
> has the same ports etc. Can anyone give me that information?
>
> 	Thanks
>
> Bob Felderman
> 3732L Boelter Hall	         feldy@ats.ucla.edu
> University of California    ...!{trwspp,sdcrdcf,ihnp4,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!feldy
> Los Angeles, CA 90024
> (213) 825-2841

I'd put the 8000 machine in the pretty useless category for you, then.
There are several 8000 machines, all of which are essentially the high end
of the PET family.  They support an 80 column monochrome, characters only
display, IEEE bus for peripherals, etc.  Just about everything on them
is different than on the C64.  I think the BASIC on the 8000's is a superset
of the C64's; you could run C64 BASIC programs on the 8000 if it contains
no PEEK, POKE, or SYS instructions.  The 4040 disk drive can read 1541
disks, though many 8000 machines use the higher density 8050 or 8250 disk
drives.

Dave Haynie    {caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

	These opinions are my own, though if you try them out, and decide
	that you really like them, a small donation would be appreciated.

porter@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Jeff Porter) (09/26/86)

In article <1681@curly.ucla-cs.ARPA> feldy@CS.UCLA.EDU (Bob Felderman) writes:

>I have access to a commodore business machine 8000 series computer system. It
>will only be useful to me if it is compatible with the Commodore 64 and
>has the same ports etc. Can anyone give me that information?

Only the lowest form of program life from the C64 is compatible
with the 8032 computer.  The 8032 is 80 column monochrome computer
based on the original PET of 1977.

If you want 64 compatibility for the lowest price, I am sorry....

...You must buy a C64.  There is no substitute.

Jeff Porter
Commodore Engineering

elg@usl.UUCP (Eric Lee Green) (10/12/86)

The 8000 series is totally incompatible with the C-64, with the
exception that you can load Basic 2.0 programs into Basic 4.0... but
why bother?

You can hook 8000 series peripherals to the C-64 by adding a Pet port
(subset of IEEE-488) to the C-64. That is of note solely because it
allows you to use high-capacity disk drives with the C-64 (the 8050
and 8250, and SFD-1001). We CBM owners have simply been dying for high
capacity drives... whenever you see one of those used CBM drives on
the market, it's snapped up for as much as it sold for in the first
place! Interesting that nobody spotted this market (I mean, when
people are paying so much money for obsolete, cranky, breakdown prone
equipment, what would they pay for equivalent NEW equipment?). Except
for Jack Tramiel, but apparently his few engineers over at Atari are
having problems with their promise to introduce a hard drive for the
C-64 and Atari for under $600... sigh, it looks like this will be yet
ANOTHER market filled by someone besides Commodore...
--

      Eric Green {akgua,ut-sally}!usl!elg
        (Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509)

" In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
 people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."