[net.micro.cbm] "21 second-backup ?

miker@tekigm.UUCP (Mike Roy) (10/16/86)

  Has anyone out there in netland had any experience with a product called
"21 SECOND BACKUP" from a company by the name of VG Data Shack located in
Quebec and as advertised in RUN magazine?
  The package apparently contains both hardware and sofware and claims to
back-up an entire disk in 21 seconds (!).
  I am interested in what if any modifications are required to the disk drive
and/or c64 and how extensive these might be. Also just how efective is the
product as compared to the advertising claims.
  Thanks for any and all responses.

paul@ukecc.UUCP (Paul Linton) (10/18/86)

In article <976@tekigm.UUCP> miker@tekigm.UUCP (Mike Roy) writes:

>  Has anyone out there in netland had any experience with a product called
>"21 SECOND BACKUP" from a company by the name of VG Data Shack located in
>Quebec and as advertised in RUN magazine?
>  The package apparently contains both hardware and sofware and claims to
>back-up an entire disk in 21 seconds (!).
>  I am interested in what if any modifications are required to the disk drive
>and/or c64 and how extensive these might be. Also just how efective is the
>product as compared to the advertising claims.
>  Thanks for any and all responses.

I have heard of "21 Second backup" and even knew someone that had one.  They
liked it very much.  It comes with both software and hardware devices.  The
hardware being a cable that goes between TWO disk drives.  The software being
just their program to transmit between the two drives ignoring anything.
Which means that it will back-up ANYTHING, or at least that what this guy
claims.  The program tells you to insert two disks in the drives and then tells
you to flip a switch on the cable.  In 21 seconds you have a backup.
As for modifications, I understand there are none.

--
[ Paul J. Linton  (University of Kentucky)                                     ]