[net.micro.cbm] assembler

elg@usl.UUCP (Eric Lee Green) (10/11/86)

HELP! Is there a DECENT assembler for the C-64/C-128? by that, I mean
one that doesn't require you to re-assemble 100K of source whenever
you make a change in one small file, something with a loader which
takes all the relocatable object files and builds a runnable program
out of them. Currently, I have used both the CBM assembler and the
Merlin assembler. I find the Merlin assembler to be adequate (12
character labels, etc.), when I use the Promal editor to edit source
files (hate line editors), and the CBM assembler to be downright
scuzzy. Have heard of an assembler by Abacus, has anybody ever used
that one? I remember using an early version of Abacus Pascal once, and
it would not compile Jenson & Wirth Pascal (syntax was all wrong --
needed semicolons here where J&W doesn't, semicolon there gives error
while doesn't in J&W, etc.).

I would hate to have to write my own assembler... taking 3 weeks or so
out of my time to put together a quickie job (labels, relocating,
simple expressions, but no macros) would be a pain, I could spend that
time working on the stuff I need to do (Yet Another Xmodem
Implementation, a simple line editor, etc.).
--

      Eric Green {akgua,ut-sally}!usl!elg, elg%usl.CSNET
        (Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509)

" In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
 people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

rayz@csustan.UUCP (R. L. Zarling) (10/21/86)

In article <970@usl.UUCP> elg@usl.UUCP (Eric Lee Green) writes:
>HELP! Is there a DECENT assembler for the C-64/C-128? by that, I mean
>one that doesn't require you to re-assemble 100K of source whenever
>you make a change in one small file, something with a loader which
>takes all the relocatable object files and builds a runnable program
>out of them.

The 6502 assembler that Mark Rinfret and I wrote to run under the C-Power
development system does all that.  You need to have C-Power to use it, but
the good news is that the assembler itself is public domain.  Anyone who
is interested should send me a blank disk and a postage paid disk mailer:

Ray Zarling
Dept. of Computer Science
CSU, Stanislaus
Turlock, CA 95380

In article <970@usl.UUCP> elg@usl.UUCP (Eric Lee Green) writes:
>HELP! Is there a DECENT assembler for the C-64/C-128? by that, I mean
>one that doesn't require you to re-assemble 100K of source whenever
>you make a change in one small file, something with a loader which
>takes all the relocatable object files and builds a runnable program
>out of them. Currently, I have used both the CBM assembler and the
>Merlin assembler.
>      Eric Green {akgua,ut-sally}!usl!elg, elg%usl.CSNET

We have a developers package containing a new macro assembler and editor
that we hope to have available by year end.  The assembler is compatible
with the BSO 6502 Assembler that has been used by Commodore for software
development of late.

No promises, but cross your fingers...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr

ugbowen@sunybcs.UUCP (Devon Bowen) (10/23/86)

In article <255@csustan.UUCP> rayz@csustan.UUCP (R. L. Zarling) writes:

>The 6502 assembler that Mark Rinfret and I wrote to run under the C-Power
>development system does all that.  You need to have C-Power to use it, but
>the good news is that the assembler itself is public domain.  Anyone who
>is interested should send me a blank disk and a postage paid disk mailer:
>
>Ray Zarling
>Dept. of Computer Science
>CSU, Stanislaus
>Turlock, CA 95380

Since it's PD anyway, is there any chance of getting it here?

It seems to me there's enough interest to get a special message base
just for C-Power. Maybe net.cmb.c or something. We could use it for
problems with C, the compiler, and for posting sources. What do you
think?

                                   Devon Bowen (KA2NRC)
                                   Universtiy of Buffalo

csnet:	 ugbowen@buffalo.CSNET
uucp:	 ..!{allegra,decvax,watmath,rocksanne}!sunybcs!ugbowen
BITNET:  ugbowen@sunybcs.BITNET
Voice:   (716) 836-7358
USnail:  67 Lisbon Ave; Buffalo, NY; 14214

rayz@csustan.UUCP (R. L. Zarling) (10/27/86)

In article <1245@sunybcs.UUCP> ugbowen@sunybcs.UUCP (Devon Bowen) writes:
(in reference to Mark Rinfret's and my public domain assembler, that
runs under the C-Power development system)

>Since it's PD anyway, is there any chance of getting it here?

It's over 50k of source code, and from the number of requests I've gotten,
I think US snail is the way to go.  I'm willing to be outvoted...

jay@garfield.UUCP (10/30/86)

In article <262@csustan.UUCP> rayz@csustan.UUCP (R. L. Zarling) writes:

>It's over 50k of source code, and from the number of requests I've gotten,
>I think US snail is the way to go.  I'm willing to be outvoted...

I vote for posting.

ugbowen@sunybcs.UUCP (Devon Bowen) (11/03/86)

In article <2899@garfield.UUCP> jay@garfield.UUCP (Jay Kumarasingam) writes:
>In article <262@csustan.UUCP> rayz@csustan.UUCP (R. L. Zarling) writes:
>>
>>It's over 50k of source code, and from the number of requests I've gotten,
>>I think US snail is the way to go.  I'm willing to be outvoted...
>
>I vote for posting.

Me too.

                                   Devon Bowen (KA2NRC)
                                   University of Buffalo

belanger@micomvax.UUCP (Robert Belanger) (11/04/86)

In article <2899@garfield.UUCP> jay@garfield.UUCP (Jay Kumarasingam) writes:
>In article <262@csustan.UUCP> rayz@csustan.UUCP (R. L. Zarling) writes:
>>
>>It's over 50k of source code, and from the number of requests I've gotten,
>>I think US snail is the way to go.  I'm willing to be outvoted...
>
>I vote for posting.
I vote for posting too.

	Robert Belanger
	...!philbas!micomvax!belanger

cbcscmst@cs1.UUCP (Michael Steven Temkin) (11/07/86)

In article <262@csustan.UUCP> rayz@csustan.UUCP (R. L. Zarling) writes:
>It's over 50k of source code, and from the number of requests I've gotten,
>I think US snail is the way to go.  I'm willing to be outvoted...

	So far it looks like you are.  I vote yes also.

				Mike Temkin
				{inhp4,psivax,ttidca}!csun!cs1!cbcscmst
Ours is not to question why...Or is it?

--