[net.rec.nude] Nude Recreation Primer II: Why?

pvl@houxh.UUCP (07/28/83)

  Installment two of the "Nude Recreation Primer" (and maybe the
more interesting half: "Why?"

Q: Where (exactly) are the events held?  parking?  facilities?
A: Generally speaking, most beaches are, by definition, sort
   of out-of-the-way.  That means a fairly long walk to get
   to them and no facilities when you do.  The exception I know
   about is Sandy Hook, NJ.  The parking lot is about a 15 minute
   walk from the clothes-optional section.  The beach has trash
   cans and a volleyball net.  Toilets are about 5 minutes away.
   No lifeguards.
     The events are generally held at a private residence.  Parking
   and facilities will be commensurate.  The Tri-State Metro Naturists'
   "get acquainted" event is being held at a private home which has
   a swimming pool.
Q: Why go bare?  and why is it so interesting? (I suspect that this
   is THE most widely read newsgroup even though it has had only 3
   contributors)  comfort?  sexuality?  protest?
A: This, I suppose, is the question which should really have this
   newsgroup buzzing.  It is hard to answer because real reasons
   may hide even from someone trying to be honest.  I suspect that
   my reasons are: 1) Curiosity: what's it like to do what my mommy
   told me never to do?  2) The way it feels:  Particularly while
   swimming it just feels much more reasonable to do away with
   a grungy piece of cloth.  Some people really like it (like me).
   Others don't see the thrill.   3) OK, I'll admit this one:  I
   like to look at naked women.  I *will* say, though, that it soon
   becomes obvious that swimsuits are *much* sexier than nudity.
   4) Vanity: If I'm going to get a tan, I don't want bathing suit
   lines messing it up.  5) Friendliness:  At least until social nudity
   is fully accepted, those who practice it feel part of a group and
   are very friendly to other members of the group.  It's nice to
   go to the beach and share a conversation with the people on the
   next blanket instead of grumbling about holding onto your 2 square
   feet of sand.  6) Others??
Q: Why are you so coy about these things?  and why are there so few
   contributors to this newsgroup?  fear?  guilt?  embarrassment?
   How about some articles from others?
A: I didn't mean to be coy.  Maybe I was trying to get some sort
   of commitment from others before laying out everything.  I
   *did* get 11 responses to the request for Sandy Hook directions
   so I know that you *are* out there.  OK...why *are* there
   so few contributors?  Why *do* you read this newsgroup?
   What *about* some articles from others?

  I eagerly await the end to my monopoly of this newsgroup.
   Please do so.
    Pete LaMaster

hammy@mit-eddie.UUCP (J. Scott Hamilton) (07/29/83)

	Let me be a voice out of the masses of silent readers of this
newsgroup.  I have been interested in nude social events for some time,
but I have never found the opportunity to engage in such in my short
twenty years of existance, eighteen of which having lived at home.  I
have been really intested in people describing what the "scene" is like
before I would engage in such.  If it turns out to be an activity where
people engage solely in narcissistic pleasure or recreational voyeurism,
I'm not interested.  The bar scene reminds me too much of that.  On the
other hand, I would be intested in almost anything that helps bridge the
gap of (what I consider) self imposed isolation between strangers.  I
also feel that I have the ancient Greek's appreciation of the human body
(no gay jokes, please).
	I really appreciate Pete LaMaster's articles on his experiences,
and I would encourage (for whatever good one persons opinion is worth)
anyone else to tender their experiences.  If in fact, nude activities
have rich social connotations, it would be nice if this newsgroup would
pick up pace, and perhaps sponser discussions to this effect.

Potential topics:

o	Is the comraderie at nude beaches similar to the comraderie
	among members of a sports teem (remembering my soccer days).

o	Do people actually act more open to each other when they are
	nude.  Side note, are people generally less inclinded to display
	a facade when nude.

o	Do the little kids (I assumed there were some) of the families
	at these beaches, seem to be getting a better perspective (pun
	intended) of sex education.  Just to throw in an opinion, I used
	to hate how parents seemed to be so anal (sorry) about nudity.

o	Due nudists seem to be more free spirited and less constrained
	by society.

						Not afraid to expose
						myself to netnews,

From genrad!decvax!harpo!floyd!vax135!ariel!hou5f!hou5e!hou5d!hogpc!houxm!houxh!pvl Thu Jul 28 16:57:13 1983