[net.rec.nude] Sunning in the Tub

diego@cca.UUCP (Diego Gonzalez) (02/19/85)

Oh, Annadiana -- envy.   I wish **I** were soaking (about to soak, or
just having soaked) in a warm tub in the great outdoors and nothing
else.  In response to your question about the rays of the sun, the
answer is "it depends."  In summer or tropical conditions, the intensity
of the UV rays can penetrate shallow water.  The clunker is that UV
comes in two styles or ranges of wavelength.  One, the good guys -- I
can't remember whether it's the longer or shorter wavelength -- is the
tanning stuff and is (unfortunately) blocked more effectively by water.
The other, of course, is the burning rays and these can produce rather
severe effects on unprotected swimmers (snorkelers are frequent victims).
In your (our) latitude, at this time of year, I would guess that some
mild tanning might occur if repeated exposures in sunny weather were
possible.  By the way, my information is courtesy of the "Hawaiian
Tropic" representative who gave the "sun-tanning" lesson last winter to
our Barbados tour group.  Believe me, it saved many of our skins (and
I'm tan to begin with).

As an additional note, the higher your altitude (above sea level, not
your mental state) the thinner the air.  In thinner air, there is less
UV filtration and a greater danger of burning.  Many climbers and
high-altitude naturists discover this accidentally.  In fact, I've
gotten some tanning while skiing at near-zero temperatures.

I hope this is useful.  I'd like to hear of Annadiana's experimental
results.  Oh, envy, envy!

					diego @ cca

seifert@mako.UUCP (Snoopy) (02/23/85)

In article <1660@cca.UUCP> diego@cca.UUCP (Diego Gonzalez) writes:

>As an additional note, the higher your altitude (above sea level, not
>your mental state) the thinner the air.  In thinner air, there is less
>UV filtration and a greater danger of burning.  Many climbers and
>high-altitude naturists discover this accidentally.  In fact, I've
>gotten some tanning while skiing at near-zero temperatures.

It seems this would be true, but strangely enough, it doesn't always work
that way.  I used to get burned in a few hours in Chit-town, even using
sunscreen, but spent a few days in Colorado Springs a couple summers
ago, at 6000 ft, and zilch!  VERY STRANGE!  Beautiful clear skies,
quite warm (not that that has anything to do with it) and no tanning
effect.  Which was fine, since it's bad for your skin, and sunscreen is
a pain, but I can't figure out *why*.

>I hope this is useful.  I'd like to hear of Annadiana's experimental
>results.  Oh, envy, envy!

Ok, I volunteer to make periodic inspections and report my findings
to this group.  Of course if this is going to be scientific, we're
going to need a control group...

hey! what's that shark doing in here?

        _____
        |___|		the Bavarian Beagle
       _|___|_			Snoopy
       \_____/		tektronix!mako!seifert
        \___/		tektronix!snoopy@doghouse.TEK

you know you've been spending too much time on the computer when
your friend misdates a check, and you suggest adding a "++" to fix it.

annab@azure.UUCP (A Beaver) (02/25/85)

> Oh, Annadiana -- envy.   I wish **I** were soaking (about to soak, or
> just having soaked) in a warm tub in the great outdoors and nothing
> else.
> I hope this is useful.  I'd like to hear of Annadiana's experimental
> results.  Oh, envy, envy!
>
> 					diego @ cca

	Well, as I mentioned at the end of my previous artical, the
	weather in the Portland area hasn't been quite as nice as
	it was the day that I made my observation about the sun. I
	have, however, had a chance to go out twice in the sun since
	then. Now, on making an attempt to get maximum exposure, I
	left the bubble cover on (I have 4 layers of that bubbled
	plastic which is used for swimming pools) and just streached
	out on top. The cover is flexable enough that I sunk down
	under the surface a little bit. Yet, it supported me quite
	well.
	As I was laying out there I observed that the only part,
	that one can really expose for any length of time, is the
	front. Personally, I'm a 'rotisserie' tanner. I make a special
	effort to get that even quallity to the skin tones.
	(be sure to catch my book, "Hot Tipps for the Tender Toosh".(-:)
	The other thing that I have been observing, is that the hot
	tub has a way of washing OFF the top layers of skin, which I
	had worked so hard to brown.	:-(
	Oh well, now they tell me to put ICE on my injury.   So much
	for experiments.

	 Annadiana Beaver
	A Beaver@Tektronix

   "The pink ocean is rolling up in lazy laps against the magenta sands. The
    sky is rose colored and the sun is starting to rise. I'm felling blue..."
						-Ruby-

wa371@sdcc12.UUCP (wa371) (03/03/85)

> Oh, Annadiana -- envy.   I wish **I** were soaking (about to soak, or
> just having soaked) in a warm tub in the great outdoors and nothing
> else.  In response to your question about the rays of the sun, the
> answer is "it depends."  In summer or tropical conditions, the intensity
> of the UV rays can penetrate shallow water.  The clunker is that UV
> comes in two styles or ranges of wavelength.  One, the good guys -- I
> can't remember whether it's the longer or shorter wavelength -- is the
> tanning stuff and is (unfortunately) blocked more effectively by water.
> The other, of course, is the burning rays and these can produce rather
> ....etc
Recent medical research seems to demonstrate that ANY
kind of exposure to tanning rays damages the immune system.  This
leaves you vulnerable not only to skin AND other cancers, but also
to ALL KINDS of infections.  It works like this:  The skin cells are
damaged by ultraviolet rays.  A normally behaving immune system would
then attack all those skin cells, and that would be a disaster.  So, the
body compensates by PERMANENTLY suppressing the immune system in
proportion to the dosage of tanning rays.
(From a lecture at the Institute of Research in Aging.)

Bernd Riechelmann  (Not affiliated with, nor speaking for U.C. San Diego)
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371,   ARPA: sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371@nosc

annab@azure.UUCP (A Beaver) (03/07/85)

> Recent medical research seems to demonstrate that ANY
> kind of exposure to tanning rays damages the immune system.  This
> body compensates by PERMANENTLY suppressing the immune system in
> proportion to the dosage of tanning rays.
> (From a lecture at the Institute of Research in Aging.)
> Bernd Riechelmann

	Don't tell me. Does this mean that if I spend time out in the sun,
	I'm eventually going to DIE?	:-)
	Oh, oh, someone had better warn all those poor folks who work out
	in the fields. And those poor souls who live in the southern
	reigions that they should stay inside. I mean, the sun is so much
	more intence there.

                                                   ~l
                                                   /l
                                                  /5l\
                                                 / 0l \
          Annadiana Beaver                      / 5 l  \
         A Beaver@Tektronix                    /____l___\
       "I'd rather be sailing"             wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww