[net.rec.nude] What's happening?

cherson@fsleng.DEC (05/24/85)

Fellow net rec.nudies, now that summer is not far away up here in coldland, I'd
like to know if anyone knows of other "free" beaches in New England besides
Moonstone Beach in R.I.?  I've heard that the far end of Plum Island is
deserted and you can be clothes-optional.

I also checked out Drake's Island beach in Wells, Me.  Although Lee Baxendall
and some weird signs by the parking lot entry attest to nudity at Laudhalm
Beach end, I didn't see a soul doff his/her suits.  This also occurred three
years ago at Block Island; don't believe everything you see!

				David C.

jpexg@mit-hermes.ARPA (John Purbrick) (05/28/85)

> I'd
> like to know if anyone knows of other "free" beaches in New England besides
> Moonstone Beach in R.I.?  I've heard that the far end of Plum Island is
> deserted and you can be clothes-optional.

I'd like an additional reference for this. I visit Plum Island a few times a
year and they have a very explicit anti-nudity policy, at least in writing,
and they patrol the beach several times a day in a Jeep; rec.nude always seemed
excessively risky there.

But did you read about the recent announcement by the management of National
Seashores that they would henceforth take a tolerant attitude toward nudity?
(Do they know about this in Washington?) Then they came back and said that
it didn't apply to Cape Cod, which has its own, stricter, rules, although
at the same time they don't often arrest people there, just threaten them.

davido@mmintl.UUCP (David Ornstein) (05/31/85)

In Article: <2316@decwrl.UUCP>, cherson@fsleng.DEC writes:

>Fellow net rec.nudies, now that summer is not far away up here in coldland, I'd
>like to know if anyone knows of other "free" beaches in New England besides
>Moonstone Beach in R.I.?  I've heard that the far end of Plum Island is
>deserted and you can be clothes-optional.

>				David C.

On Martha's Vinyard, there is a wonderful beach called Gay Head.  It is on
the far end of the island.  There are clay baths there where you can paint
your bodies with lots of colors from red to blue to black and white.

Does anybody know of any lakes or beaches in the Conn. area (preferably
Hartford) where one can be, as an immortal philosopher once said, "free?"

					Davido

*  "Sally sold cshs by the ... cshore?" 	The opinions expressed within *
*						are those of my company, my   *
* 					 	company's management, the U.S.*
*  U.S. Snail:					Congress, the President of the*
*	David Ornstein  			United States and sometimes   *
*	Multimate International Corp.		derived via rot13 decryption  *
*	52 Oakland Avenue 			of level-seven transmissions  *
*	East Hartford, CT. 06108		by kremvax.		      *
*  UUCP:								      *
*  ...!seismo!utah-cs!utah-gr!pwa-b!mmintl!davido                             *

heiser@cca.UUCP (Bill Heiser) (06/09/85)

From what I have seen, there don't seem to be any "offically accepted" nude
beaches in New England.  Of course I may be wrong about that, but if there
are any, I have yet to discover them.  As previously mentioned by others,
the rangers are rather strict on Cape Cod, which tends to be aggravating
at the very least.

I guess the best we can do here in New England is to find our own private
spots, out of the way of the compaining general public.  There are a few
places along the coast, particularly in Maine, where there are few enough
people around to allow us to do what we want.  Additionally, there are
other scattered spots I have heard of inland, but these are few and far
between.

sigh...
--

Network: decvax!cca!heiser
USPS:  Bill Heiser, PO Box 3202, Peabody, MA   01961-3202