[net.rec.nude] Nude Models

majka@ubc-vision.UUCP (Marc Majka) (01/25/86)

> From: wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert)
> I am looking for females willing to pose in the nude ...

[IGNITION]

Get this kind of crap out of net.rec.nude.  Naturists are not the kind of
people who get their kicks out of trashy sexist magazines.  We respect
ourselves and other people.  We are mature enough to understand that true
human qualities are independent of clothing and other meaningless attributes.
We do not approve of gawkers or those who want to exploit what we regard as
entirely natural.

> Am willing to split all prizes, etc. on a 50-50 basis.

This is no less than amateur pimping.  It has no place in this newsgroup.

---
Marc Majka

wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) (01/26/86)

> > I am looking for females willing to pose in the nude ...
>
> [IGNITION]
>
> Get this kind of crap out of net.rec.nude.  Naturists are not the kind of
> people who get their kicks out of trashy sexist magazines.  We respect
> ourselves and other people.  We are mature enough to understand that true
> human qualities are independent of clothing and other meaningless attributes.
> We do not approve of gawkers or those who want to exploit what we regard as
> entirely natural.
In the United States of America we have what is know as the First Amendment
which allows anyone the freedom to express themselves in any shape or form.
This, in fact, is the basis for most of our suits in court to get anti-nude
beach laws (etc.) off of the law books.  While I may agree in principle as to
what you are saying I do not like some of the specific things you mention.
By stating "trashy" magazines you are implying that some forms of nudity should
be banned by law.  It seems to me you are saying that people should be free
to go without clothing only under those circumstances which you approve of.
[Getting asbestos suit on]  Why is it that I have seen some of the so-called
trashy magazines at our local nude beach at Rooster Rock?  If naturalists are
so "non-gawkers" why do they feel the need to look at magazines of unchothed
persons?  Seems to contradict you viewpoint of the magazines as obviously they
read the magazines for something other than the pictures.  Or do they gawk
like non-naturalists do (per your comments)?

> > Am willing to split all prizes, etc. on a 50-50 basis.
>
> This is no less than amateur pimping.  It has no place in this newsgroup.
Obviously you have never photographed models professionally, they usually
expect some form of payment.  Even animal models require payment to their
owners.  When you get out of the University and into the real world, you
will discover that no one works for free.  Splitting of fees, prizes, etc.
earned by photographs taken constitute "wages" which both the photographer
and the model are entitled to.  However, you are correct in one respect,
I am an amateur, it takes much work and dedication to forsake a regular job
and work as a professional photographer or artist.  My painting and
photographing are strictly amateurish.

> ---
> Marc Majka

As to why I posted this in net.rec.nude as opposed to net.micro or even
net.women -- it would seem to me to be fairly obvious.  While 80% of the
females readers of net.rec.nude probably have no interest in modeling,
maybe 20% might.  In net.women, probably 99.99% would have absolutely
no interest and for the .01% missed, big deal.  The women who read
net.women get upset when someone talks to them while they have untied
the top of their bikini (if you do not believe me, read the current raging
argument in net.women).  Mentality like that would outlaw all clothes
optional beaches everywhere.

By the way, I do respect you right to fame (blowtorch) me, this again is
guaranteed by the 1st Ammendment (to the U.S. Constitution).  I am surprised
that it made it past the Canadian censors, however.  This gets this
conversation off to what would be better discussed in net.politics, so I
will get off of my soapbox, except to say that most of the magazines that
may be enjoyed in the U.S. are either not available in Canada or are a
bowlderized version (spelling?).
--Bill--

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (01/27/86)

In <69@ubc-vision.UUCP> majka@ubc-vision.UUCP (Marc Majka) writes:

>> From: wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert)
>> I am looking for females willing to pose in the nude ...
>
>[IGNITION]
>
>Get this kind of crap out of net.rec.nude.  Naturists are not the kind of
>people who get their kicks out of trashy sexist magazines.  We respect
>ourselves and other people.  We are mature enough to understand that true
>human qualities are independent of clothing and other meaningless attributes.
>We do not approve of gawkers or those who want to exploit what we regard as
>entirely natural.

I am a nudist/naturist and I get kicks out of trashy sexist magazines.  They
have no connection, but they are not mutually exclusive.  Just because I don't
equate nudity with sex in most instances, it doesn't neccessarily follow that
I don't make that connection in certain contexts.

--
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Mark D. Freeman                     Guest account at The Ohio State University

Acceptance without proof is the fundamental characteristic of Western religion,
 Rejection without proof is the fundamental characteristic of Western science.
		-- Gary Zukav from "The Dancing Wu Li Masters"
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

tomp@amiga.UUCP (Tom Pohorsky) (01/28/86)

In article <389@tekigm2.UUCP> wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) writes:
>> > I am looking for females willing to pose in the nude ...
>>
>> [IGNITION]
>>
>> Get this kind of crap out of net.rec.nude.  Naturists are not the kind of
sans hostility, agreed. My *opinion* is that it's just inappropriate.

>which allows anyone the freedom to express themselves in any shape or form.
Sure, you can do whatever. My request is to not do it here.

>Obviously you have never photographed models professionally, they usually
I think net.rec.photo would be an appropriate place to look for models.

cak@purdue.UUCP (Christopher A. Kent) (01/29/86)

Phew! I can't believe all this noise about nude models. Especially from
naturists! Why do you, of all people, immediately jump to the conclusion
that photography of nude models is going to have sexual connotations?

Nudes (of either sex) can be very tastefully rendered in several media,
photographs being one of them. Go check out Rubens and Michaelangelo for
a few examples of painting and sculpture, and then check out the
internal assumptions you have about this subject!

chris

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (01/30/86)

In article <69@ubc-vision.UUCP> majka@ubc-vision.UUCP (Marc Majka) writes:
>[IGNITION]
>
>Get this kind of crap out of net.rec.nude.  Naturists are not the kind of
>people who get their kicks out of trashy sexist magazines.  We respect
>ourselves and other people.  We are mature enough to understand that true
>human qualities are independent of clothing and other meaningless attributes.
>We do not approve of gawkers or those who want to exploit what we regard as
>entirely natural.

Dear Marc,

	Get off the fence.  Either people have a right to do what they want
with thier bodies (including nude olympics, nude bathing, and posing
for magazines) or they *don't* because they might offend someone.  Where
do you stand?  Sounds pretty much on the *don't* side -- you just draw
your lines differently.  Nobody was coercing *you* to pose.  How about
you let the people do what they want.  By the way, I know literally
dozens of people who would be interested in this offer (except that they
*won't* want to go to Oregon unless travel expenses are reinbursed) and
I *know* that they would be pretty insensed with the implication that they
aren't naturalists.

>> Am willing to split all prizes, etc. on a 50-50 basis.
>
>This is no less than amateur pimping.  It has no place in this newsgroup.

Get serious.  I presume that you have never posed in the nude, but I used
to pose for classes of art students a lot.  And I damn well got *paid* for
it.
--
Laura Creighton
sun!hoptoad!laura		(note new address!  l5 will still

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (01/30/86)

I always thought it was really wierd that "naturists" and "nudist camps"
seemed to attract uptight people who just happen to want to take their
clothes off.

(Personally I'm more of a hedonist -- pleasure seeker -- and nudity in
the right surroundings is just one kind of pleasure.)

But I'm surprised that someone who likes to take pictures, who wants to
meet people who likes to have their picture taken nude, gets flamed
by this group.  I thought you-all had more class.

I was thinking of sending a donation to help the nude beach legal fight
but if it ends up that I'm helping nude prudes, they can fight their
own battle.  If this is the prevailing attitude I may as well unsubscribe.
--
# I resisted cluttering my mail with signatures for years, but the mail relay
# situation has gotten to where people can't reach me without it.  Dammit!

sxnahm@ubvax.UUCP (Stephen Nahm) (01/31/86)

In article <460@hoptoad.uucp>, gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
> But I'm surprised that someone who likes to take pictures, who wants to
> meet people who likes to have their picture taken nude, gets flamed
> by this group.  I thought you-all had more class.

I posted a reply to the "nude model" message, though I'm not sure it got out
to the net properly.  In summary, I said that the only type of nude
photography that I find objectionable is just the kind encouraged by the
magazines mentioned by in the original article (High Society, Stag, Swank).
These soft-porn mags generally display women in unnatural poses designed to
cast the women as objects of lust for men.  Not only is this degrading to
women, but it propogates the concept that nude equals lewd.  It's this
equation which stirs up many conservative Christians to oppose efforts to
designate free beaches, and it's certainly the reason the Accomack County
council passed its unsupportable ordinance which closed the free beach on
Assateague Island.

Believe me, I'm not a prude.  Art which depicts people in natural and erotic
poses can be quite pleasing to me.  I'd be interested in hearing whether you
believe *any* pornographic art is acceptable, or if you agree that
pornography which degrades women should be discouraged.

> I was thinking of sending a donation to help the nude beach legal fight
> but if it ends up that I'm helping nude prudes, they can fight their
> own battle.  If this is the prevailing attitude I may as well unsubscribe.

It may help a few "nude prudes", but it will ultimately help you too.  You
stated that you're a hedonist who happens to like nudity too.  But if your
personal liberties are restricted by laws passed by people who have been
conditioned to associate nudity with offensive magazines, you won't be able
to enjoy your pleasures.

I personally know the people fighting the Accomack ordinance (which is
basically a societal dress code!).  I've participated with them in
conservation projects carried out with the Chincoteague Wildlife Refuge and
Assateague Island National Seashore, including contruction of a sand fence
behind the de facto free beach to protect the freshwater marsh there.  The
ordinance they're fighting has truly national scope, since it confronts
directly the consitutional question of whether the government is allowed to
restrict your freedom of expression (1st Amendment) by demanding a certain
public (state of) dress.  I hope you decide to support them.

I'll probably post in a little while an article from the latest ``Clothed with
the Sun'' which addresses this very issue.  It descibes a Naturist artist's
attitude towards unclothed art.  Not all Naturists have views which agree
with his or mine, and I'm not sure what the "prevailing attitude" is, but I
would say it's not predominantly prudish.
--
Steve Nahm
amd!ubvax!sxnahm

majka@ubc-vision.UUCP (Marc Majka) (01/31/86)

> From: laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton)...
> Get off the fence.

Who is on a fence?  I thought my last statement was clear:

    "We do not approve of gawkers or those who want
    to exploit what we regard as entirely natural."

I quite agree with your assertation that the law of the excluded middle
still holds:

> Either people have a right to do what they want with thier bodies
> (including nude olympics, nude bathing, and posing for magazines) or
> they *don't* because they might offend someone.

Although I did not say anything about being offended.  The trouble is that
there is more to consider than a "either I can do it or I can't" attitude
will permit.  I was objecting to what I see as exploitive and degrading, not
to someone posing in the nude.  In my judgement, there is a difference in
kind between an art class and "swank" magazine.

> Get serious.  I presume that you have never posed in the nude, but I used
> to pose for classes of art students a lot.

You presume incorrectly.

---
Marc Majka

ccs025@ucdavis.UUCP (Johan) (02/01/86)

> Phew! I can't believe all this noise about nude models. Especially from
> naturists! Why do you, of all people, immediately jump to the conclusion
> that photography of nude models is going to have sexual connotations?
>
> Nudes (of either sex) can be very tastefully rendered in several media,
> photographs being one of them. Go check out Rubens and Michaelangelo for
> a few examples of painting and sculpture, and then check out the
> internal assumptions you have about this subject!
>
> chris

 I am not against this guy for advertising at all. I think he has the
right, but I think you missed the point.  His advertisement listed
several magazines he would be sending pictures to. One of them
was SWANK.  Go buy a copy and then try to make a comparison to
Michaelangelo or Rubens. :-)
 If a picture in swank doesn't have sexual conotations, it isn't in
  swank.

--
                   Martin Van Ryswyk
	 {dual,lll-crg,ucbvax}!ucdavis!deneb!ccs025     uucp

ales@hpfcla.UUCP (02/02/86)

> Now, it would be stupid of me to take Marc Majka's personal position as the
> official position of the Naturalist movement without checking it out further.
> What do the rest of you think?  And are there any official positions I
> could look up?
> --
> Laura Creighton
> ihnp4!hoptoad!laura
> hoptoad!laura@lll-crg.arpa
/* ---------- */

Quoted without comment from the World Guide to Nude Beaches and Recreation
by Lee Baxandall (second edition):

   The Naturists emphasize that clothes-optional life-styles provide an
alternative both to puritanism and pornographic exploitation.  We believe
that the more acceptance of the body is suppressed, the more degrading
pornography we're going to see and the more puritanical reaction there
will be.  We reject both directions and steer a middle course - the
rational, healthy course - with naturism.

The Naturists
P.O. Box 132-W
Oshkosh, Wisconsin, 54902
---

Ales Fiala
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!ales

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (02/02/86)

In article <80@ubc-vision.UUCP> majka@ubc-vision.UUCP (Marc Majka) writes:
>         ...I was objecting to what I see as exploitive and degrading, not
>to someone posing in the nude.  In my judgement, there is a difference in
>kind between an art class and "swank" magazine.

Yes, there's the rub.  ``In *your* judgement''.  ``What *I* see''. But other
people find nude beaches exploitive and degrading.  And other people don't
find SWANK magazine degrading.  Now, maybe I missed something here, but I
thought the whole focus of ``the Naturalist movement'' was ``we're here
voluntarily, we're free people, leave us alone to do what we want''. Now I
am getting a hint of ``we are morally superior people, we have better attitudes
than those repressed prudes, and a much better attitude than those who read
or pose for filthy magazines''.

If the second position is closer to the Naturalist philosophy, then somebody
had better set the record straight. There are a whole lot of
libertarians and rational anarchists who are buying into it because they
believe in the first position -- and to use them to further the second
position is pretty foul.  I hadn't considered the possibility that I was
being used last time I posted, and thought that you were being terribly
inconsistent, which is why I accused you of sitting on the fence.

wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) (02/03/86)

> > But I'm surprised that someone who likes to take pictures, who wants to
> > meet people who likes to have their picture taken nude, gets flamed
> > by this group.  I thought you-all had more class.
>
> I posted a reply to the "nude model" message, though I'm not sure it got out
> to the net properly.  In summary, I said that the only type of nude
> photography that I find objectionable is just the kind encouraged by the

I love it, I love it.  As the original poster of the "ad" may I say that.....

you have all been had!  The posting was posted just to see what sort of
reactions would be obtained.  I had the feeling that this group was just
about dead, last summer when the weather was great this group had only
about 1 or 2 postings a week.  Finally there is some traffic.  And, a lot
of good philosophical questions have come out about the purposed of nudity,
the interests of each member, etc.  Good questions have come up also about
what are the feelings of persons on a clothes optional beach when someone
shows up with a camera vs individual rights vs first amendment rights, etc.

However, may I suggest that the discussions continue, as there obviously
are some strong feelings over the subject of nude modeling (no, I do not
really photograph nude models -- not that I would pass up the opportunity
if it presented itself -- I do not even have a 35mm camera that is operational)
particularly those who object to it on the grounds of indecency!  I find the
contradiction in when nudity to be obscene or indecent to be hilarious coming
from a group of supposedly nudist (naturalists).

			 -- Bill Dippert --

ccs025@ucdavis.UUCP (Johan) (02/05/86)

> you have all been had!  The posting was posted just to see what sort of
> reactions would be obtained.  I had the feeling that this group was just
> about dead, last summer when the weather was great this group had only
> about 1 or 2 postings a week.  Finally there is some traffic.  And, a lot

  Someone posted something like this on net.jokes a while back
just to pi** people off and see what happened.  Everyone felt
kind of used, except those who caught on and felt priveledged to
be 'in' on the joke.  Now I gather from your recent posting
that you posted the original article in order to jump start
conversation.  I hope that the few readers of this group do
not get bent out of shape, as those in net.jokes did (myself included).
It would just be a waste of time and ruin a discussion that has already
started.
   Having said that, I will give my meager little opinion on the
subject.  I see nothing wrong with nude photography that is
done in taste and with a more artistic approach than "Here
he/she is and Oh look, he/she has one/two (three ;-) ) of
these!!"  Photographs of nude models are an art form like
anything any other in that there are good pictures and bad.
I guess it is a matter of personal preference. My personal favorites
are black and whites with backlighting that pay good attention
to the subtle curves of a woman's body.  My favorite was done
by a Swede (who's name I don't recall) that was far enough away
to show the model's whole body (curled up some) yet had such clarity
as to show the outline of the soft , normally invisible, body
hair.(stomach, hips etc..)
      As for photographs that stray from the above stated personal
criteria, I have only one thing to say.  If the model, photographer,
and reader are all of consenting age and do indeed consent,
it is really none of my business.
                Just a few thoughts....
  [please *do* disagree with me and let us all know your own
   feelings.  I think naturists are like any other group of
   people, there are many different factions of the group
   whith different beliefs.]

--

ccalille@ihlpf.UUCP (Calille) (02/06/86)

> In article <80@ubc-vision.UUCP> majka@ubc-vision.UUCP (Marc Majka) writes:
> >         ...I was objecting to what I see as exploitive and degrading, not
> >to someone posing in the nude.  In my judgement, there is a difference in
> >kind between an art class and "swank" magazine.
>
> Yes, there's the rub.  ``In *your* judgement''.  ``What *I* see''. But other
> people find nude beaches exploitive and degrading.  And other people don't
> find SWANK magazine degrading.  Now, maybe I missed something here, but I
> thought the whole focus of ``the Naturalist movement'' was ``we're here
> voluntarily, we're free people, leave us alone to do what we want''. Now I
> am getting a hint of ``we are morally superior people, we have better attitudes
> than those repressed prudes, and a much better attitude than those who read
> or pose for filthy magazines''.
>
> If the second position is closer to the Naturalist philosophy, then somebody
> had better set the record straight. There are a whole lot of
> libertarians and rational anarchists who are buying into it because they
> believe in the first position -- and to use them to further the second
> position is pretty foul.  I hadn't considered the possibility that I was
> being used last time I posted, and thought that you were being terribly
> inconsistent, which is why I accused you of sitting on the fence.
>
> Now, it would be stupid of me to take Marc Majka's personal position as the
> official position of the Naturalist movement without checking it out further.
> What do the rest of you think?  And are there any official positions I
> could look up?
> --
> Laura Creighton
> ihnp4!hoptoad!laura
> hoptoad!laura@lll-crg.arpa

Hey, where can you meet some good looking models in the Chicago area. Or is
there a nude beach in this area that I can visit to see what it is actually
like.  If you are a good looking FEMALE maybe we can meet in the Chicago
area.

rayazwinski@watmath.UUCP (Rick Yazwinski) (02/06/86)

>Hey, where can you meet some good looking models in the Chicago area. Or is
>there a nude beach in this area that I can visit to see what it is actually
>like.  If you are a good looking FEMALE maybe we can meet in the Chicago
>area.

This, in my opinion, does not belong in net.rec.nude! This net is for naturalists not for people with hormone problems. Take this kind of posting to net.singles or some other appropriate place.
			Rick...

steves@kepler.UUCP (Steve Schlich) (02/07/86)

0@hoptoad.uucp> <421@ubvax.UUCP> <414@tekigm2.UUCP> <153@ucdavis.UUCP>

>you have all been had! [the original article was bogus, intending to
>stimulate discussion]

I have read the discussion with interest, but I don't like being had.
If you want to start a relevant discussion (and this was one), why not
simply ask a legitimate question?
--

One town looks very like another /
with your head down over your pieces, brother.

ix742@sdcc6.UUCP (James Hayes) (02/10/86)

>>you have all been had! [the original article was bogus, intending to
>>stimulate discussion]
>
>I have read the discussion with interest, but I don't like being had.
>If you want to start a relevant discussion (and this was one), why not
>simply ask a legitimate question?
>--

There are times when I'm proud to own and use my 'n' key.

--
-Jim Hayes /  ix742%sdcc6@SDCSVAX.EDU

The only people that don't make mistakes are dead people.

kishore2@watdcsu.UUCP (K.Singhal - Systems Design) (02/11/86)

In article <2414@sdcc6.UUCP> ix742@sdcc6.UUCP (James Hayes) writes:

>>>you have all been had! [the original article was bogus, intending to
>>>stimulate discussion]

Hmmmmm.... sometimes I wonder if the people who post these type of
   "Aha! gotcha, I was only being an asshole to get a discussion going"
pranks are only idiots trying to extricate their feet from their mouth.

--
Sherman Lang
Systems Design Engineering              "May you have an interesting life!"