[net.rec.nude] Nude photography

craig@ozone.DEC (plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose) (02/05/86)

 Bill Dippert of Tektronix writes:

> I love it, I love it.
> As the original poster of the "ad" may I say that..... you
> have all been had!  The posting was posted just to see what
> sort of reactions would be obtained.

   This has got to be one of the most juvenile postings I've
   ever come across.  The people who were responding did so
   feeling that they were honestly answering someone who had
   honestly posted their true feelings.  This sort of
   deceit has *no* place on the Usenet in general, and in nude.rec in
   particular.  One of the basic underlying assumptions about
   nude.rec and naturalism (in my opinion) is that openness and
   honesty are sorely lacking in this world, but that
   naturalists, by definition, have a special feeling and
   respect for veracity.  This is why I never worry about
   leaving my belongings on the beach at a nude beach, but keep
   a close eye on them at a non-clothing-optional beach.

> Good questions have come up also about what are the feelings
> of persons on a clothes optional beach when someone shows up
> with a camera vs individual rights vs first amendment
> rights, etc.

   You're absolutely right, there have been some good questions
   about how people feel about cameras, or at a deeper level,
   about "peeping toms" coming around a nude beach and getting
   their rocks off looking at nude men and women.  I think you
   might have gotten good responses also by honestly inquiring
   about how others feel about this sort of situation.

> ...I suggest that the discussions continue, as
> there obviously are some strong feelings over the subject of
> nude modeling ... I find the contradiction in when
> nudity to be obscene or indecent to be hilarious coming from
> a group of supposedly nudist (naturalists).

   And I find the contradiction in your eliciting
   people's true attitudes by misleading them offensive.  The
   people who were flamed at for having no class have
   nothing to be ashamed of ... they were honestly expressing
   their opinions.  You, on the other hand, have a lot to be
   ashamed of, by perpetrating this juvenile prank on them,
   and the other readers of nude.rec.

                                                Bob Craig
                                                Medical Systems Group
                                                Digital Equip. Corp.
                                                Marlboro, Ma.
                                                decwrl!ozone!craig

daver@felix.UUCP (Dave Richards) (02/15/86)

In article <927@decwrl.DEC.COM> craig@ozone.DEC (plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose) writes:

>   You're absolutely right, there have been some good questions
>   about how people feel about cameras, or at a deeper level,
>   about "peeping toms" coming around a nude beach and getting
>   their rocks off looking at nude men and women.  I think you
>   might have gotten good responses also by honestly inquiring
>   about how others feel about this sort of situation.
>
>                                                Bob Craig

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that if I happen to walk along
a beach frequented by nude sunbathers (whether I know this or not), and I
enjoy the scenery, then I am a peeping tom because I am too inhibited to
remove my clothes in public?  So you, as a "naturalist" have nothing to
hide from anyone, as long as "anyone" is also nude?

If a naked person suddenly appears in front of me, am I supposed to:
  A. cover my eyes and run away
  B. immediately remove any clothing I may have on
  C. back away, muttering apologies and blushing profusely
  D. all of the above?

As far as "getting rocks off looking at nude men and women":
I can't believe you have spent any real amount of time around nude people
or you would know this is ridiculous.  Sure, there may be an extremely
small percentage of drooling perverts out there that this would appeal to,
and I haven't been around a LOT of nude people, but I have certainly been
around enough, and been mature enough (since puberty, I think) to realize
that the eye/brain is quickly desensitized to any sexual arousal ONLY
due to nudity.

If you truly believe in nudeness as a way of life, you should have no
problem with the idea of walking down a crowded city street nude
among hundreds of clothed people (assuming it were legal). And you
should assume that everyone else would ignore your nudeness.
BUT, (heaven help us) if someone should LOOK at you, I don't think
you should consider them a "peeping tom" any more than they should
consider you an "exhibitionist".

"Peeping toms" do exactly that. They peep. Over fences, through holes,
through telescopes, through windows, as in the joke:

    "My wife is so ugly, the other night a peeping tom threw up
     on her windowsill!"

I don't consider a person who enjoys the human form, and is open
about it to be a peeping tom.

Dave "clothing OPTIONAL" Richards