[net.music] Melody and Lyrics Swapping

emjej@uokvax.UUCP (02/10/85)

People who have heard Weird Al Yankovic know that you can sing the *Brady
Bunch* theme to the tune of "The Safety Dance" (you know, the line in the
song seems to be "It's safe to dance;" I wonder if the title came to be
in the same way as Anne McCaffrey's *Get Off the Unicorn*?), and by now I
hope all have heard "Stairway to Gilligan's Island." I'm interested
in other sets of interchangeable words and tunes; for example:

(due to Mike Meyer--thanks, <mike!)

	"Amazing Grace"
	"House of the Rising Sun" (Eric Burdon & Animals arrangement--
				   "Amazing Grace" doesn't sound half bad
				   to this tune)
	"Jingle Bells" (chorus)
	the song(?) from Cheech and Chong's "Earache My Eye"

(origin unknown)

	*Green Acres* theme to the tune of "Purple Haze"
		(this one *isn't* symmetric!)

(my very own!)

	"Rubber Duckie"	(come on, admit you watched *Sesame Street*, too :-)
	"Surfer Girl"	(I need to get all the words, to make sure
			 that everything works; I want very much to
			 organize "Rubber Duckie" in four-part harmony!)

(yet others)

	"Deo Gracias Anglia" (the Agincourt Carol) to the tune of
	"The Banana Boat Song"
		(yet another asymmetric one)

	Burma Shave signs to the tune of "Deo Gracias Anglia"
	("Within this vale of toil and sin
	  Your head grows bald but not your chin
	  Deo gracias...")

Anyone else have some of these?

					"Deo! Deo! Deo Gracias Anglia..."
					James Jones

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (02/14/85)

>From: emjej@uokvax.UUCP
>
>People who have heard Weird Al Yankovic know that you can sing the *Brady
>Bunch* theme to the tune of "The Safety Dance" (you know, the line in the
>song seems to be "It's safe to dance;" I wonder if the title came to be
>in the same way as Anne McCaffrey's *Get Off the Unicorn*?), and by now I
>hope all have heard "Stairway to Gilligan's Island." I'm interested
>in other sets of interchangeable words and tunes; for example:

One that I remember from my days at a Christian youth camp is to tkae the
words of the blessing:

	"Praise God from whom all blessings flow,
	 Praise Him all creatures here below,
	 Praise Him above ye Heavenly Host,
	 Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
	 Amen"

and sing it to the tune of "Fernando's Hideaway".

P.S. Apologies to any non-Christians/atheists/etc. reading this.

--
	John Ruschmeyer			...!vax135!petsd!moncol!john
	Monmouth College		   ...!princeton!moncol!john

"Everybody knows in the second life,
    We all come back sooner or later.
 As anything from a pussy cat,
    To a man-eating alligator."

david@varian.UUCP (David Brown) (02/15/85)

A fun thing to do is to sing Mother Goose rhymes to the tune of Bob
Dylan's "You Ain't Going Nowhere" (they certainly make more sense than
Dylan's words (-;  ).

--
	David Brown	 (415) 945-2199
	Varian Instruments 2700 Mitchell Dr.  Walnut Creek, Ca. 94598