[net.pets] dogs

frans (05/11/83)

Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site alice.UUCP
Date:Wed, 11-May-83 11:28:56 EDT

   To whoever had the problem with the male golden retriever and
the 5 pound cat. You are not alone! We have 2 cats and a 1 year
old siberian husky. One of the cats does not allow himself to be
chewed upon and the other does. The dog has never hurt the cat,
he often sits on him and mouths the cat
s head.
   We have decided that in the house this behavior is not cool.
Many guests think the dog will kill the cat. If your dog is a
retriever he should be taught to 'Drop It'. This works very well
and you have less problems with picking up a slobbered on kitty.
Since all of our animals are indoor/outdoor types, outside the
cats are fair game.
   Since the animals have grown up together they probably will
not hurt one another. Also they tend to mellow with age.
   Hope this helps some.

                              Patty

halle1 (05/11/83)

Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site alice.UUCP
Date:Wed, 11-May-83 16:43:12 EDT

If your dog is a canine of any sort it should be taught "Drop It".
It is very useful when he picks up anything he shouldn't: shoes, stuff
outside, your neighbor (well, it could be a mastiff), etc.  Any dog
can learn it quickly, not just retrievers.